PDA

View Full Version : Wooden toboggan maintenance

Dewey Cox
01-09-2018, 09:57 PM
What finish would you guys put on a wooden toboggan?
The kids left it out, and water soaked into the wood. We ran it hard on Saturday and now Iím putting it back together. ( they donít build them like they used to)
The staples holding it together are all falling out, so Iím putting in brass screws.
Should I varnish it, wax it, oil it, spray it with pam, or what?
The wood on the bottom has no finish whatsoever.

gtr
01-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Dry it out, and rub it hard.

Zinilin
01-09-2018, 10:33 PM
I used paraffin wax or floor paste wax. Any hard (in the cold) wax directly on the underside wood. I would use stainless rather than brass, brass will fail (head pop off) and leave the screw part in the cross-boards.

Rory McCanuck
01-09-2018, 11:44 PM
I use Johnson's Floor Wax, the smell of which will bring home childhood memories to a bunch here.
I haven't been able to find it here, so I got my buddy to bring back a can from the States.
Also make the sled on my table saw so slippery I almost throw it across the shop the first couple runs after waxing.

Camo tung
01-10-2018, 05:50 AM
I used to use ski wax, melted it on with an iron then evened it out with the iron. Like waxing old skis! Good heavy coat held up well.

Ruff
01-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Back in the age of horses and steam, we used to use paste floor wax for glide because that was what we had. Nordic ski experience has since taught me that simple paraffin wax is superior, altho it might be a bit of extra work on something the size of a toboggan. Melt it in with an iron (advise using an old one!) and then polish it off to a shine. It's really fast and another advantage is that snow will not stick to it. But for a basic prewax finish, I'd use marine spar varnish, as with traditional snowshoes.

Grimlock
01-10-2018, 08:05 AM
I use Johnson's Floor Wax, the smell of which will bring home childhood memories to a bunch here.
I haven't been able to find it here, so I got my buddy to bring back a can from the States.
Also make the sled on my table saw so slippery I almost throw it across the shop the first couple runs after waxing.

You can't get Johnson's here because the government is protecting us from ourselves. It's illegal to sell any floor wax without a traction aid. JPW is just carnuba, I think.

Zinilin
01-10-2018, 11:04 AM
You can't get Johnson's here because the government is protecting us from ourselves. It's illegal to sell any floor wax without a traction aid. JPW is just carnuba, I think.

That is truly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, a smooth wax finish must contain grit. Wow.

Next up: All buckets must have holes in the bottom so that any unattended water can drain out to prevent a child from falling in and drowning.

Magi
01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
That is truly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, a smooth wax finish must contain grit. Wow.

Next up: All buckets must have holes in the bottom so that any unattended water can drain out to prevent a child from falling in and drowning.

You could start a new thread on this kind of idiocy and it would go on for ages.

FALover
01-10-2018, 05:19 PM
X2 for paraffin wax. We always had a few chunks around that were leftover from mom's canning projects.

RangeBob
01-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Johnson Wax 16 Oz Fine Wood Paste Wax
CDN$ 33.94
Usually ships within 10 days
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0000DIWIM

Can't get this in Canada any more and it's the best for protecting my cast iron tools from rust so now I can get it here I'm a happy camper

Johnston's paste wax was used by my Mother over 50 years ago! It is still the best, especially for unfinished hardwood floors! I'm so glad I can still get it, even though I have to send for it from the U.S.!

alternatively ...

Johnson Wax 16 Oz Fine Wood Paste Wax
CDN$ 128.46 + CDN$ 105.67 shipping
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00N3AOOM4