PDA

View Full Version : beat up hunting sporter

shiloh87
03-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Last month I was looking for an Enfield No4 when I came across an ad for a sportier-ized No5, I called the guy and made a deal, pretty cheap. I paid, he shipped, usually don`t like buying sight unseen, but I took the plunge.

Upon arrival, it turned out to be a real No5(ROF)F A4XXX, 8/44, which puts it in the first 4 months of initial production. All matching including a serialized mag(??). Excellent bore, and @ 60% original blueing/blk or what ever was used back then(74 yrs ago).

The bad, a crappy mahogany sport stock, left side of receiver drilled and tapped 4x`s for a scope mount(:mad1:), and a No4/mk1 battle sight( I`ve since ordered a BSA(B) 800yrd sight), couldn`t find an F or P marked, I guess it dosn`t really matter as I`m turning it into a NZ bush carbine.
Also a very lame attempt at drilling out the top side of the flash hider(just forward of the sight) to produce a sort of brake/comp.,I`ve since had that welded up and re-ground.

I think it`ll be a cool little rifle when completed, I`ll try and post some pics when complete, can`t complain for the little money I paid, and I don`t feel bad about customizing it because its been knackered here and there, but it`s still a No5, unfortunately, not unmolested.

Cheers

Justice
03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Whatever it is it will not be mahogany. Too heavy.
And check the headspace. No. 5's usually don't have the issue, but one must CYA.

kennymo
03-20-2018, 10:53 AM
The scope mount holes should be relatively easy to disappear by installing some longer screws and carefully filing them flush. Then some degreaser and touch up blue....

shiloh87
03-20-2018, 01:03 PM
"Whatever it is it will not be mahogany. Too heavy.
And check the headspace. No. 5's usually don't have the issue, but one must CYA."

My smithy checked that out , good to go.
The sporter stock is mahogany, as a well seasoned cabinet maker Im sure of that. Its is not a sported No5 stock, but a stock made to fit the gun. either way its found its way into the wood stove...lol

"The scope mount holes should be relatively easy to disappear by installing some longer screws and carefully filing them flush. Then some degreaser and touch up blue...."

I did just that but no filing as I was scared of damaging the electro penciled proofs and serial#.

shiloh87
03-31-2018, 01:36 PM
Here it is ready for the range.
New refinished stocks, cut down and refitted to bush carbine style(don`t judge me :red:) the bipod is an sks style and the bayonet is an Indian(RFI) reproduction, very nicely done, but this one will not fit the lug properly, dosn`t fully seat, and is misaligned to the muzzle, that`s kind of disappointing, but for 50bucks, its a decent display piece.
Also replaced the No4 rear sight with a proper No5 800yd sight.
I`ve also got an AR stock adapter for this project with buffer, adjustable skeleton butt stock and pistol grip, that should make it real comfy to shoot.
Because this was a all matching lucky find, I will be retaining all the military stuff so it can be easily converted back and forth.
Cheers

road kill
03-31-2018, 06:55 PM
As much I don't like Lee Enfield rifles, you did a nice job on yours.