PDA

View Full Version : So does C-71 make a partial AR prohib possible?

SIR VEYOR
03-25-2018, 05:14 PM
Alright, so given the new expected latitude the RCMP will have, have their previous pondering laid the groundwork for a few things?

Given their prior debate over the width of some AR lowers for accepting full auto components, does this set it up for them to prohib ARs in multiple stages and thus potentially reduce outcry, opposition, etc?

So not all are prohibited initially, just this first ruling. Later, more or the rest based on “easily modified” to be like the earlier ones?

It’s an option so that it’s easier defined as “safety concerns” versus “we don’t want you with them” and make the blowback shorter in the media cycle. Mainstream and otherwise.

Doug_M
03-25-2018, 05:26 PM
It was the "shelf". Something like 90% or more of the lowers in Canada are not expected to be affected.

The AR-15 is named restricted by an OIC. The RCMP can't touch that (MC Hammer just popped in my brain). They may be able to make a case for the "bad shelf" lowers but I doubt it.

The Liberals could make a new OIC than moves it to prohibited but I doubt that too. At least this term.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Satain
03-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Great question although I do believe that there was a ruling on this subject referring to the rear area cutout being enlarged enough to accept the full auto parts.

Joshua13
03-25-2018, 10:58 PM
Someone on Reddit guns or Canada guns made a point about this bill opening the doorway to prohibit basically whatever they want in future. It's poorly written (probably on purpose) and it gives free reign to the RCMP. It alleviates the gov from having to answer for further classification changes.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Yogi05
03-26-2018, 03:39 AM
Goodale said on radio today gov still has the final say over classification.

I don't know what to make of that.

RangeBob
03-26-2018, 03:48 AM

If Bill C-71 is passed

IF the RCMP move a firearm to prohibited, the Minster may
- decide to include it in 12.9
- move it to restricted.
- The minister may not move it to non-restricted

IF the RCMP move a firearm to restricted, the Minster may
- move it to prohibited, and possibly include it in 12.9.

The Minister may at any time, regardless of the RCMP's FRT stance on the firearm, for any firearm
- move it to prohibited, and possibly include it in 12.9.
- move it to restricted

Doug_M
03-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Someone on Reddit guns or Canada guns made a point about this bill opening the doorway to prohibit basically whatever they want in future. It's poorly written (probably on purpose) and it gives free reign to the RCMP. It alleviates the gov from having to answer for further classification changes.

Doesn't give them free reign, they are still bound by the firearms act. But it does give the "social license" and yes it alleviates the gov from being responsible for further classification changes. But only in their minds. I mean what self-respecting gun owner wouldn't scream at them when anything goes prohibited? We screamed at the Conservatives when the CZ and SA went prohibited and at that point in time the law was what C-71 is proposing with respect to classifications. All this will do is allow the Liberals to LIE and say there is nothing they can do and they are not at fault. We know better.

Yogi05
03-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Goodale did say classification is still outlined in c.c (fa).

Not defending, this talk is why I don't know what to make of what he said.

igojuone
03-27-2018, 05:00 PM

You do realize that comment was made by a politician, a liberal one at that? LOL

soulchaser
03-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Goodale also said Canadians will have no issues traveling to the US after weed legalization is done here.

Homeland Security down South begs to differ.

Yogi05
03-28-2018, 12:46 PM
I didn't say I believed him. I just put it out there.

It did make me wonder what wording in the bill he was either twisting or misinterpreting.