PDA

View Full Version : Lee Enfield 1918

Mac78
03-30-2018, 10:45 AM

I picked this old 303 from friend of mine . I didnt even realized he had a gun . Lol. He asked if i was interested in buying it , i got it for $75 with an extra 10 shot clip and 6 bullets. The receiver says bsa 1918 SHT LE 111. Decent shape. He said he bought it in 1976 just to have a rifle . He never hunted but did shoot it, says it shoots good. I'll never hunt with it but probably take it to the range to shoot from time to time . Im wondering how far off is it from its orignal military form ?

Mac78
03-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Forgot to mention all serial numbers match.

kennymo
03-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Should've looked similar to this when it went into service. Minus the chunk of wood busted off near the receiver.

My 1916 Australian Lithgow No.1 Mk.III. All original except for the barrel, which is 1917 dated and possibly unfired (packed with grease and shiny, crisp rifling when it arrived). Still has the original wood too, with the volley sight plate and 1916 kangaroo stamped stock. The bayonet is Australian as well, but 1919 dated and assigned to the 2nd Military District. (The rifle is from 2nd MD). Interestingly, no sold out of service stamp on this one....

So you're missing the front and rear hand guards, nose cap, rear sight protector and a handful of miscellaneous stock hardware. The brass ID disk on the butt has also been filled with a bit of wood, and it looks like it may have been varnished or lacquered at some point? Restorable, but there's a bit of collecting to do.

kennymo
03-30-2018, 11:32 AM

The forward volley sight on the other side, missing the dial. I have the rear peep for the volley, but haven't installed it yet. It mounts to the safety, you might note a notch in front of the safety where the peep would have rested when not in use. They stopped installing the volley sights somewhere in the middle of the war to speed production, as well as the magazine cutoff and added a * to the designation. (No.1 Mk.III*)

Mac78
03-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Ok . Yeah i have the * after the lll. If i was to try and restore it ehere do i look to find a stock for it ? Any suggestions ? Ive been searching the net and im not sure where to look.

kennymo
03-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Parts are getting harder to find, especially for the front end. Marstar has a few bits at times. Numerich out of the States. Ebay (be sure to check UK and Australian sites).

Justice
03-30-2018, 12:13 PM
"...an extra 10 shot clip..." That MAGAZINE is worth almost as much as the whole rifle. Check the headspace before you shoot it. Match numbers does not mean the bolt head hasn't been at some time.
"...BSA..." Means Birmingham Small Arms.
"...how far off is it..." A long way. When the stock was refinish it was sanded far too much on the grip area. The stock disk cut out(That's the circle on the butt stock) appears to have been sanded out too. Plus the upper stock wood and all the metal bits that go with it. Those bits are what makes restoring 'em expensive. The rear sling swivel for instance is worth $8Cdn with no screws.

Mac78
03-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys. What im mostly wondering i guess is the reciever , bolt and barrell correct ? Its doesnt look like thats been chopped up but im not sure what to look for. I have time to slowly find everything i need as long as its available. I use to have an Enfield years ago. Its was modified alot compared to this one . It had no stripper clip hump, williams sites, drilled and tapped, synthic stock etc. Id like to have one close to orignal . It maybe expensive but over time it be fun tracking down parts and seeing it come together. Just wondering if rifle be a good starting point really if i decide to go this route. If not i may just sell it .

Lee Enfield
03-30-2018, 01:55 PM
Ok . Yeah i have the * after the lll. If i was to try and restore it ehere do i look to find a stock for it ? Any suggestions ? Ive been searching the net and im not sure where to look.

Post on milsurps in the appropriate thread as well as in WTB for the parts. Your best hope.

CLW .45
03-31-2018, 11:32 AM
Ok thanks for the info guys. What im mostly wondering i guess is the reciever , bolt and barrell correct ? Its doesnt look like thats been chopped up but im not sure what to look for. I have time to slowly find everything i need as long as its available. I use to have an Enfield years ago. Its was modified alot compared to this one . It had no stripper clip hump, williams sites, drilled and tapped, synthic stock etc. Id like to have one close to orignal . It maybe expensive but over time it be fun tracking down parts and seeing it come together. Just wondering if rifle be a good starting point really if i decide to go this route. If not i may just sell it .

PM me if you want to sell.

My father in law gave me his, and it could really use a friend.

Stew
08-06-2018, 01:17 AM

could try these guys, they seem to have stock
http://milweb.net/webvert/a3230/93843

shortandlong
08-06-2018, 06:45 AM
75? you got a deal, the prices on those old soldiers has gone nuts