PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for 200yd rifle?

BaBam
04-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Would it be a good idea? :shoot2:

I am wondering if I can put a red dot instead of a scope on a 5.56/.308 Ruger American Ranch(16") for range use mostly from the bench out to 200yards max. If so, which red dot under $300? Trying to keep the total cost under $1000 if possible for a compact rifle.

Thanks!

Weekend Gunslingers
04-02-2018, 10:40 AM
I am by no means a precision shooter, but I have a Vortex SPARC AR on my Tavor X95. It is my go to Coyote gun. If you practice with the dot and know your holds, 200yds is a breeze with it. Just my opinion. ;)

Just keep in mind a red dot will never produce the groups you can get with a variable optic for example if you are shooting for groups. Dropping a coyote at 200 with a dot is very doable.

RobertMcC
04-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Well you might need a under 3 MOA dot. Bushnell TRS25 are decent red dots for around 100.

Haywire1
04-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Just aquired a marlin 336 in 30-30, sort of an overall goal is this;

I dont see why a red dot or an mrd would be much different than iron sights(except ease of use/visability). As noted an actual scope will give tighter groups, but even an 6" group at 200 is a dead deer :)

Weekend Gunslingers
04-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Well you might need a under 3 MOA dot. Bushnell TRS25 are decent red dots for around 100.

Fully agree about the little Bushnell. Have one on my AR and its very good for the price point.

Greglc
04-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Also have TRS 25 on my AR had it for 5 years, just changed battery for first time, and it's been left on at least once in safe, cant go wrong for $130.00

labradort
04-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I agree TRS-25 is great combination of price/performance. I prefer them for close and quick acquisition targets less than 100 yards. With red dot you don't need to worry about eye box and parallax and taking time to set up the shot. However there is no magnification, so at distance that red dot starts to cover more or all of the target. I also like red dot as a substitute for iron sights where older eyes don't see near and far clear at the same time. If shooting mainly 100 to 200 yards and at a range, I'd go with a regular scope. With red dot you'd put it on the paper but there wouldn't be much satisfaction with working at precision. Vortex, Bushnell and Nikon make options that are not too expensive.

lone-wolf
04-02-2018, 06:06 PM
Would it be a good idea? :shoot2:

I am wondering if I can put a red dot instead of a scope on a 5.56/.308 Ruger American Ranch(16") for range use mostly from the bench out to 200yards max. If so, which red dot under $300? Trying to keep the total cost under $1000 if possible for a compact rifle.

Thanks!

I wanted to do the same thing with the same rifle. I was going with a vortex sparc or a eotech(which might sit too high)
I'll probably never get around to it.

The sparc or eotech dots will cover 4" or 2" at 200yrds. Tag a coyote, I likely wouldn't try a fox sized target.
A realistic sized target and range time will tell you the limits. I am curious.

labradort
04-02-2018, 07:12 PM
I wanted to do the same thing with the same rifle. I was going with a vortex sparc or a eotech(which might sit too high)
I'll probably never get around to it.

The sparc or eotech dots will cover 4" or 2" at 200yrds. Tag a coyote, I likely wouldn't try a fox sized target.
A realistic sized target and range time will tell you the limits. I am curious.

Problem is most of those products would cost $400 or more and the goal is < $1000 for rifle set up.
Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier seems within the price he would look for. Couldn't vouch for it myself - no experience at all with that line.

lone-wolf
04-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Sparc can be had for under $300
The magnifier won't be any good without a red dot, so the combo would certainly be a bit more than he's looking to spend.

RobertMcC
04-03-2018, 05:54 AM
Sparc can be had for under $300
The magnifier won't be any good without a red dot, so the combo would certainly be a bit more than he's looking to spend.

Wish they made like a 2x compact red dot prisim sight, that was the price of a reddot. Sometimes I wouldn't want a dot, but a crossair. Because with my astigmatism. Any brightness other than low, the dot are star shape and bigger than they should.

BaBam
04-03-2018, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys, I had never thought of a red dot as an iron sight replacement. I always considered it on par with a scope but understand better now. :)

I see a Bushnell TRS-25 on Amazon, is this what we're talking about? I haven't found any of the others yet: https://www.amazon.ca/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM/ref=sr_1_7?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1522760494&sr=1-7&keywords=red%2Bdot%2Bsights&th=1

Also there's a cheap one from RioRand: https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Reflex-Holographic-Brightness-holographic/dp/B01B71LELO/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1522760521&sr=1-5&keywords=red+dot+sights

RobertMcC
04-03-2018, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys, I had never thought of a red dot as an iron sight replacement. I always considered it on par with a scope but understand better now. :)

I see a Bushnell TRS-25 on Amazon, is this what we're talking about? I haven't found any of the others yet: https://www.amazon.ca/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM/ref=sr_1_7?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1522760494&sr=1-7&keywords=red%2Bdot%2Bsights&th=1

Also there's a cheap one from RioRand: https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Reflex-Holographic-Brightness-holographic/dp/B01B71LELO/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1522760521&sr=1-5&keywords=red+dot+sights

Get the TRS, plus only 78$ + 6$ shipping. Amazon bumped the price up to over 130$. I bought mine when it was 100$ + taxes.

I had the RioRand and its literately crap and useless. It probably wouldn't withstand any recoil, The glass is blurry. I couldn't even use it on a airgun.

Haywire1
04-03-2018, 07:23 AM
As someone who has tried cheap ones over the years, get a halfway decent one. Bushnell, burris, vortex etc all have relatively cheap models. The problem with the utg, gsg, and other "off brand" red dots is the quality quite frankly sucks. I mean its great if you break it to go buy another one, but i have found wandering zeros, having to use vice grips to tighten down the mounts so they stay tight and crappy glass and or dot dimensions are common with the cheaper ones.

The trs-25 for 2x the price is a huge step up, has a great reputation and has a decent warranty.

BaBam
04-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Thanks, I'll order the TRS :)

Now I'm thinking it'll look cool on a defender style short barreled shotgun :shoot:

Greglc
04-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Be careful with that amazon link you posted, 78 bucks is 50 less then it usually sells for, and if you go down on page you see the frequently bought together, add the two $15.00 items and price goes up $70.00, so I think they made a mistake on just the red dot.

RobertMcC
04-03-2018, 08:14 AM
Be careful with that amazon link you posted, 78 bucks is 50 less then it usually sells for, and if you go down on page you see the frequently bought together, add the two $15.00 items and price goes up $70.00, so I think they made a mistake on just the red dot.

Not really. I bought mine for 102 off Amazon in Nov. Than bought another slightly used off a person for 70+ Shipping.

Lee Enfield
04-03-2018, 08:57 AM
My son has a Trijicon on his X95 Tavor and likes it. Uses it past 300 with good accuracy.

Rory McCanuck
04-03-2018, 10:53 AM
As someone who has tried cheap ones over the years, get a halfway decent one. Bushnell, burris, vortex etc all have relatively cheap models. The problem with the utg, gsg, and other "off brand" red dots is the quality quite frankly sucks. I mean its great if you break it to go buy another one, but i have found wandering zeros, having to use vice grips to tighten down the mounts so they stay tight and crappy glass and or dot dimensions are common with the cheaper ones.

The trs-25 for 2x the price is a huge step up, has a great reputation and has a decent warranty.
We put one of those on my buddy's slug gun and it is sweet.
He got it used and the switch is boogered so it eats batteries if you don't pull them, but that's not such a big deal.
The batteries are just cheap ones, 2032 I think?

Hidyn
04-04-2018, 05:39 PM
I read a very thorough review with a bunch of shooters doing a round robin trial with a pile of red dots.

The bushnell came out on top, so I bought one. Very happy with it! Works great even in bright daylight. Appearantly I grossly over paid for mine but I still think I'll buy another one.

VooDoo
04-05-2018, 04:13 PM
How's your eyesight? I ask because it could steer your buying decisions.

I have astigmatism and them red dots look like a little star burst instead of a nice little dot. Try out a couple at a local store and see how your eye reacts to them.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/06/the-more-you-know-astigmatism/

BaBam
04-05-2018, 05:36 PM
How's your eyesight? I ask because it could steer your buying decisions.

I have astigmatism and them red dots look like a little star burst instead of a nice little dot. Try out a couple at a local store and see how your eye reacts to them.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/06/the-more-you-know-astigmatism/

My eyesight is okay so far, kinda looking forward to having a red dot instead of iron sights or a scope this time.

Petamocto
04-05-2018, 06:04 PM
I strongly recommend against a conventional holographic red dot for anything farther than 50m. To me it doesn't matter if you're talking about a budget TR-25 or a higher end EOTech, they're all garbage at 100m+.

If you want any form of precision at 100+, especially 200+, and you don't want to do a conventional scope, you're really into the realm of slightly magnified combat optics.

The unquestionable king of these is the Trijicon ACOG, and as the proud owner of one on my AR platform, I can hand-on-heart say it's the best thing you can get. I would get the battle ring and dot reticle, though, because the post reticle is almost comically small.

The one huge drawback is the cost. You're lucky to find a used credible one for $1200, and new ones from a reputable dealer are more like $1500+ tax and shipping.

Recently I have researched less expensive options, and I have been impressed with the Vortex Spitfire 3x line. Unlike the ACOG that uses a fiber optic light gathering post to illuminate the reticle, the Spitfire has a battery option. But unlike a regular red rot where if the battery dies you're SOL, on the Vortex Spitfire the reticle by itself still just looks like black markings on a normal scope so you don't absolutely need the battery; it just makes it even brighter if you turn the battery on.

All that to say, get a Trijicon ACOG if you can afford $1500. If you can only afford $500, get a Vortex Spitfire 3x. Both are useful, and you'll be able to hit targets with regular accuracy from 200m no problem, while still being able to maintain situational awareness of your immediate surroundings. The US Army chose the ACOG for a reason.