PDA

View Full Version : Yukon Fish & Game Association blasts proposed gun rules - CBC

RangeBob
04-08-2018, 10:19 AM
So last week, the executive director of the Yukon fish and game association went on record with the CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-federal-gun-law-1.4591366) that they favor bill C-71.

They got so much scrutiny from Yukoners, that they had to read the bill themselves and figured out it was a bunch of BS. Here is their statement denouncing C-71. (https://www.facebook.com/yukonfga/posts/1659165517513842)

The CBC have reported this earlier today. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-fish-game-firearms-legislation-1.4609457)

RangeBob
04-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Their facebook post

This is the Yukon Fish and Game Association release regarding Bill C-71.

April 3, 2018

The Yukon Fish and Game Association are opposed to Bill C-71. In our opinion the bill targets lawful
gun owners with additional red tape and regulation that do not address the issues of gun violence
and gang crime cited by the Liberal government as a justification for this bill. We do not have a
Justice system we have a legal system protected by the constitution. Somehow we need to ensure the
RCMP and other authorities are provided the funding and ability to target the criminals. We support
more effective ways of fighting criminals who use guns completely outside of any legal framework.

The main points of the bill will do the following:

Background Checks

* Instead of looking back 5 years into your mental/criminal history you can now be evaluated on
data from your entire lifetime.

Licence Verification

* Businesses and individuals will be required to call in and verify a person’s licence each
time they want to sell a firearm. This includes non-restricted firearms. We'll need to get a
transfer number before we can sell a firearm and will have to
provide serial make model etc. This will add extra hassle without adding to public safety and will
unnecessarily complicate sales between people who are already licensed to possess firearms. We
don't know how this will be managed. Our fear is that we will only be able to transfer during
regular business hours and in addition may cause an undue delay in allowing a transfer. This bill
does not establish any timeframes for the reference number to be provided.

Legislated record keeping for 20 years

* Gun retailers will have to keep records for 20 years on all gun sales. Most retailers already
do this. In our mind this creates a legislated back door gun registry and puts the burden on
private retailers.

Changes to the Authorization to transport (ATTS)

* Current restricted firearm owners can transport to the following locations;
o Gunsmith
o Gun Range
o Gun Show
o Border Point
o Transport to/from a gun store for Appraisal or Sale

* The new bill gets rid of everything but an approved range. Now we will have to call in each
time we want to take our restricted firearms to a gun show, a gunsmith for work or to a border
crossing for competition.

* These changes combined with the licence verification changes mentioned above will negatively
affect gun shows and competition.

Moves certain Firearms from Non-restricted to PROHIBITED

* They are moving some semi-automatic non-restricted firearms to the
PROHIBITED class.

* They include the Swiss Arms Classic and the CZ-858 rifles, this will turn these rifles into
paperweights and eventually will have to be surrendered once the license holder passes on or lets
their license expire.

* We personally enjoy target shooting, competing and hunting with semi-automatic firearms and
would be very unhappy if this was no longer a possibility

Removes ability of government to oversee the RCMP in their classification of firearms.

* If/when the RCMP make a mistake on a classification the government will no longer have any
power to reverse the classification.

* We’re not sure why less oversight is better. Everyone makes mistakes including the RCMP and
the general fear among firearms owners is that the RCMP will do what they can to reclassify certain
firearms into a more prohibitive classification without any recourse.

Transfers old long gun registry data to Quebec.

* This was ordered deleted by the Supreme Court so it seems odd they still have a copy.

Consultation

* At no point did the government or our MP consult our organization on proposed changes.

Gordon Zealand

Executive Director

RangeBob
04-08-2018, 10:22 AM
The original CBC article, Mar 26 2018

"The things that they are proposing ... only make common sense," said Gord Zealand, executive director of the Yukon Fish and Game Association.

RangeBob
04-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Apr 08, 2018
Yukon

Group's executive director had earlier voiced support for Bill C-71

https://i.cbc.ca/1.3344520.1523132860!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_1180/gord-zealand.jpg?imwidth=100
'To us, it looks like a backdoor registry and we hope we're wrong,' said Gord Zealand, executive director of the Yukon Fish & Game Association.

The executive director of the Yukon Fish & Game Association is speaking out against proposed changes to Canada's firearms legislation, after saying the new rules seem to "only make common sense."

Gord Zealand says now that he's learned more about Bill C-71, he's changed his mind.

"We have had the opportunity now to review the bill in detail, and at least from our take on it — we're opposed to it. It targets lawful gun owners," he said.

When CBC reported last week on Zealand's apparent lukewarm support for the bill, it prompted a firestorm of criticism from members of the association. Many took to social media to denounce his comments.

This week, the association issued a public statement saying it is, in fact, firmly against Bill C-71. The statement says the bill targets lawful gun owners and would be a burden on businesses.

The federal bill would expand background checks, require vendors to verify every licence number before every sale and keep records for as many as 20 years. It also introduces new rules for transporting firearms, among other measures.

Zealand says he should have waited before voicing support.

He says he initially thought "there would be more focus" on gun violence and gang crime and he supported that idea in principle.

'Looks like a backdoor registry'

Under C-71, merchants would be required to keep records of firearms inventory and sales for at least 20 years. That would include the licence numbers of buyers. Vendors would also have to call the government and verify a licence number before a sale.

Zealand says that would be a burden on business and amounts to a return of Canada's long-gun registry, a controversial program scrapped in 2012.

"To us, it looks like a backdoor registry and we hope we're wrong," he said.

The new requirements would apply even to non-restricted firearms. The proposed bill doesn't mention penalties for businesses who fail to comply.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.3019661.1427994828!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_1180/rifles.jpg?imwidth=100
Bill C-71 would tighten Canada's firearms law with changes to the background-check system and new mandatory record-keeping practices for vendors

The bill would also limit travel with restricted firearms. As it is now, owners of restricted firearms can transport their weapons to a gunsmith, gun range, gun show, border point or gun store for appraisal or sale. Bill C-71 would "remove certain automatic authorizations to transport prohibited and restricted firearms," according to the bill's summary.

Zealand says that would be a hassle and prevent legitimate travel, such as bringing a gun to be repaired.

"For people that have handguns or other types of guns — if you want to transport them, the only place you can go without special permission is to a gun range," he said.

He is also unconvinced the bill will curb crime.

"The people that are going to commit crime are going to do it regardless of this type of a restriction," he said.

"If the bill was saying they're going to propose that there will be $15 million in a special task force that will focus on gangs and the unlawful distribution of the illegal firearms they're bringing in — you'd have our full support. But it doesn't."

Request to speak

The Yukon Fish & Game Association has asked to speak to the federal government as the bill goes to committee.

The group's public statement notes that "at no point did the government or our MP consult our organization on proposed changes."

"I hope common sense prevails," said Zealand. "Yes, we want to stop crime and we want to stop the gangs and all the rest of it."

The bill is currently in committee before the House, having passed second reading last week. It would require a third reading and Royal Assent before becoming law.

hxxp://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-fish-game-firearms-legislation-1.4609457

LB303
04-08-2018, 04:45 PM
it looks like a backdoor registry and we hope we're wrong
You're not wrong, Bob. And good on you for reviewing the evidence.

blacksmithden
04-08-2018, 04:53 PM
You've got to love organization executives who don't bother consulting with members OR EVEN READING something before they put the org's stamp of approval on it. Idiots. At least they've come out publicly with something against it.

FallisCowboy
04-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Why do so many people in authority positions "shoot straight from the lip" when interviewed? For god's sake man, read the bill and understand it before you comment on it to a reporter. IMHO, this is the corruption of the whole "15 minutes of fame" crap today. Given the group he claims to represent this smells very fuddly/appeasement to me. Question? Why did they (MSM) have to go all the way to the Yukon to find someone to make this basic mistake?

LB303
04-08-2018, 05:02 PM
I like how he had the honesty to reverse himself. I've met many persons in authority who would never dream of it, even when faced with overwhelming evidence.
I imagine most of you can think of someone who fits that description as well.

FallisCowboy
04-08-2018, 05:07 PM
I like how he had the honesty to reverse himself. I've met many persons in authority who would never dream of it, even when faced with overwhelming evidence.
I imagine most of you can think of someone who fits that description as well.

Most Politicians?

Billythreefeathers
04-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Why did they (MSM) have to go all the way to the Yukon to find someone to make this basic mistake?

Furthest from the epicenter of liberal

chuckbuster
04-08-2018, 05:26 PM
You've got to love organization executives who don't bother consulting with members OR EVEN READING something before they put the org's stamp of approval on it. Idiots. At least they've come out publicly with something against it.

Yup. Even though he's seen the light and recanted, the damage has been done.

Gunrunner
04-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Guess he decided he wanted to keep his job and denounced the bill.:rolleyes:
Some Liberal MPs in rural ridings need to be thinking about their stand on c71 in relation to keeping their jobs also.

glockfan
04-08-2018, 09:38 PM
bustin pack of fudds...now THEY feel targeted,they are against ?......but they still won't line up with target shooters and semi auto-black rifles-hangun enthousiasts !!!

at the 1st occasion they won't think twice before pitching target shooters under the bus like they always did in the past !!!

. only them are correct,only them are responsible gun owners hey?

ar's ,handguns, military style rifles can be demonized by the progressists antis, they won't give it a single f*** as always ; as long as THEY won't be touched by ridiculous sensless legislations, life is good right?

*uck them fudds. they have never lift a pinky to solidarize seriously with ALL the gun owners community in this country ,so for me, as long as they will display their cocky behavior toward the restricted crowd-non hunters ..:slap:

Northshore
04-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Could it be that the only reason he is against it now is because of the backlash he took by being for it in the first place. You honestly believe he had no idea what was in this bill and he is the head of a Fish & game association that uses guns as a main part of hunting animals.

Sure it is good he has changed his tune, but if he is truly that ignorant of proposed laws that can and will affect the members of the association he represents then I think he is in the wrong position and should be replaced post haste.

blacksmithden
04-09-2018, 01:28 AM
An open message to ALL organization executives. Simple sh-t !!!!

When the media asks "Do you support this government's bill ?"

First...THINK to yourself....who's in power.

If the answer is anyone but the Conservatives, your reply should be one of three things and nothing more !!!
1. I don't know. I haven't looked it over yet.
2. NO !!! IT'S BULLS--T !!!!!!
3. No comment

THEN STFU !!!!!

That is all.

FallisCowboy
04-09-2018, 09:17 AM

If the answer is anyone but the Conservatives, your reply should be one of three things and nothing more !!!
3. No comment

THEN STFU !!!!!

That is all.

I'm guessing they (reporter) got a lot of that, finally found a useful idiot in this guy. IMHO, his association should dump him at the first chance.

CLW .45
04-09-2018, 10:20 AM

3. No comment

THEN STFU !!!!!

That is all.

And, if the Conservatives are in power, do the same!

C-42 bit us in the ass big time!

The end of the challenge was much bigger, as a negative, than the end of the LGR was, as a positive.

Doug_M
04-09-2018, 11:02 AM
The end of the challenge was much bigger, as a negative, than the end of the LGR was, as a positive.

I think your scales are off. While I agree ending the challenge was a negative, ending the LGR means people can exercise passive resistance. It means non-compliance is an option. It means just perhaps there will be a hesitation in a future decision to prohibit something knowing they don't know who owns what, especially if the non-restricted CZ/SA owners practice non-compliance (which they can since the LGR is dead).

FallisCowboy
04-09-2018, 11:15 AM
As was exercised by Ghandi, passive non-compliance is a huge weapon against all types of government. Yes, there will be casualties, but in the end this tactic is indefensible. Why do you think the Libtards are trying so hard to keep us divided, squabbling among ourselves? Yes, "diversity is a strength", especially if you are a useless, immoral, government; trying to maintain control of the people. Non-compliance requires most of the people to unify behind a single cause, such as getting rid of the current government. If you don't have unity and large numbers, it will fail.

Lazy, immoral governments like to rule by threat of force, it is the easiest way to control the people., so they intimately understand force. An unarmed population is the easiest of all to rule by force. Imagine though, the fear in the halls of power, of a group of citizens out numbering the police, better armed and trained than those same police getting unified on any issue. Now that is the power of passive non-compliance by ordinary, citizen gun owners. The number required to succeed is even lower, the lower the number required to unify means the probability of that particular issue arising is even higher. If you have unity, and arms, even moderate numbers can succeed against a bad government.

CLW .45
04-09-2018, 01:01 PM
I think your scales are off. While I agree ending the challenge was a negative, ending the LGR means people can exercise passive resistance. It means non-compliance is an option. It means just perhaps there will be a hesitation in a future decision to prohibit something knowing they don't know who owns what, especially if the non-restricted CZ/SA owners practice non-compliance (which they can since the LGR is dead).

Never been a consideration for them in the past, and never will be.

Wishful thinking at best.

You will be disarmed, in their minds, when you do not possess weapons lawfully.

They do not give a crap about criminals with guns.

Doug_M
04-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Sure but things are different now. It is easier for our community to disseminate information to each other. It is easier to get word out about non-compliance. When the LGR was implemented how many front page articles were written stating import records show a compliance rate of just 50%? We had a CBC article that shows massive non-compliance with the 10/22 mags. That is a big embarrassment to the government.

They are re-banning (my opinion) the CZ and SA to appease the CGC and Poly core. When non-compliance kicks in it will be publicized and it will be embarrassing again. The absence of the LGR to assist in enforcement will be mentioned.

No, they don’t care about criminals with guns at all. They only care about the criminalization of guns (and gun owners).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 04:10 PM
bustin pack of fudds...now THEY feel targeted,they are against ?......but they still won't line up with target shooters and semi auto-black rifles-hangun enthousiasts !!!

at the 1st occasion they won't think twice before pitching target shooters under the bus like they always did in the past !!!

. only them are correct,only them are responsible gun owners hey?

ar's ,handguns, military style rifles can be demonized by the progressists antis, they won't give it a single f*** as always ; as long as THEY won't be touched by ridiculous sensless legislations, life is good right?

*uck them fudds. they have never lift a pinky to solidarize seriously with ALL the gun owners community in this country ,so for me, as long as they will display their cocky behavior toward the restricted crowd-non hunters ..:slap:

You’ve just ‘written off’ and DIS’d 90% of Canadian gun owners.
You won’t get a peep out of the fudds until they start going after the model 100s, 1100s, 7400s, 750s but that will come in the fullness of time along with the new National LGR.
By then it will be too late.

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Sure but things are different now. It is easier for our community to disseminate information to each other. It is easier to get word out about non-compliance. When the LGR was implemented how many front page articles were written stating import records show a compliance rate of just 50%? We had a CBC article that shows massive non-compliance with the 10/22 mags. That is a big embarrassment to the government.

They are re-banning (my opinion) the CZ and SA to appease the CGC and Poly core. When non-compliance kicks in it will be publicized and it will be embarrassing again. The absence of the LGR to assist in enforcement will be mentioned.

No, they don’t care about criminals with guns at all. They only care about the criminalization of guns (and gun owners).

The next national LGR (and there will be one) will have a compliance rate of about 1/10 of the c68 LGR which was less than 50%.
When cop boot leather meets door frame you’ll see the true face of the Liberals and RCMP as another Trudeau declares martial law AGAIN.

Zinilin
04-09-2018, 04:56 PM
The next national LGR (and there will be one) will have a compliance rate of about 1/10 of the c68 LGR which was less than 50%.
When cop boot leather meets door frame you’ll see the true face of the Liberals and RCMP as another Trudeau declares martial law AGAIN.

If they make us the enemy then they make us the enemy.

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 05:05 PM
High River was just a sneak preview of what is to come on a national scale.

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 05:29 PM
And, if the Conservatives are in power, do the same!

C-42 bit us in the ass big time!

One of the few that will admit it.
Losing the CFSC test challenge option in c42 cost us big time.
That it was done for spite for calling the Conservatives on collaborating in secret with the RCMP on gun bans is another ‘no-speak’ truth.
That the Conservatives is a pro-gun party is one of the protected misconceptions.
They were at best ‘gun tolerant’ under Harper.
Admitting/stating the truth about this sore subject gets you on ignore lists.

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 05:45 PM

We’ve been the enemy since 1968 when PET was elected.
It’s just taken us gun owners 50 years to pull our heads out of our backsides and admit it to ourselves.
Well some of us. :rolleyes:
Once PM PET didn’t take long rolling up his sleeves and hitting us below the belt.
After c150 (1969) and c51 (1977) we still didn’t get it.
By 1995 and c68 we were running out of excuses.
Now with c71 in the offing only confirmed dipstick sheepish!ts can’t see the truth even if they won’t publicly admit it.
Amazingly lots of gun owners keep voting Liberal.

FallisCowboy
04-09-2018, 05:47 PM

They will have an element of surprise for the first few door bustin's; then things will most likely take a turn for the worse.

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 05:53 PM
One of the few that will admit it.
Losing the CFSC test challenge option in c42 cost us big time.
That it was done for spite for calling the Conservatives on collaborating in secret with the RCMP on gun bans is another ‘no-speak’ truth.
That the Conservatives is a pro-gun party is one of the protected misconceptions.
They were at best ‘gun tolerant’ under Harper.
Admitting/stating the truth about this sore subject gets you on ignore lists.

Too bad their ignore lists won’t shield them from the truth in real life.

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Lord willing if I’m still alive I’m voting Conservative in 2019.
A fair weather friend (CPC) is better than a sworn enemy (LPC) any day.

Gunrunner
04-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Yup, things ARE different.
But more importantly ... ARE WE?
Are we the same scared naive rabbits we were in 68, 69, 77, 95 or have we learned something?

Yes, things are different.
We are all out of excuses.
If we lose this one it will be our own fault.

CLW .45
04-09-2018, 08:43 PM

The Liberals don’t give a rare rat’s backside about “the CGC or the Poly core.”

They invented those organizations and funneled financing to them through the Canadian Chiefs of Police Association.

Why?

Because there was, and is, no viable grass roots anti-gun movement, while firearms owners have organizations galor.

The Swiss and Czech rifles are being prohibited, again, because their toadies in the RCMP have told them it is time.

glockfan
04-09-2018, 10:48 PM
You’ve just ‘written off’ and DIS’d 90% of Canadian gun owners.
You won’t get a peep out of the fudds until they start going after the model 100s, 1100s, 7400s, 750s but that will come in the fullness of time along with the new National LGR.
By then it will be too late.

exactly. the high number of firearms users who ''don't care '' and feel unconcerned about black rifles,handguns-prohibed and mandatory ATT's for this and that ,is really of no help to the RPAL crowd who don't hunt OR-AND do both ; as if they were THAT different with their single shots and reels . they gives a false signal (like in i don't care more control ) to the ''law makers'''' by rarely opposing to stupid regulations thrown at our community as a whole , screwing everyone else in the process.

shamefully coward . fudds are by defenition highly contaminated by the progressist delirium.

as for the large fudds majority....its on its way to change given the exponential increase of RPAL distributed in the last 5-6 years.

Gunrunner
04-10-2018, 02:20 PM
I'll be 'vengeance voting' this time (2019).
Vengeance voting is voting against one party for a perceived injustice rather than for a party because of their beneficial platform.
The Liberals did things to make an enemy out of me (as they did all other Canadian gun owners) so I'm voting CPC in 2019.
It's not that I think the CPC under Scheer with that gaggle of red tories will be much better than the LPC and I don't believe for a minute that the CPC will reverse all the harm did by c71 (the enhanced background checks are here to stay) and their claims in regard to repealing/rewriting the c68 firearms act are pure BS (same bait and switch tactic used by Harper) .
The CPC is simply the lesser of several political evils.
The bait and switch tactic of promising to repeal c68 and then 'forgetting' to do it:rolleyes: can only be used once and then people (at least the ones with half a brain) don't believe you any more.
The rotten carrot has fallen off the stick.

Gunrunner
04-10-2018, 02:34 PM
The Liberals don’t give a rare rat’s backside about “the CGC or the Poly core.”

They invented those organizations and funneled financing to them through the Canadian Chiefs of Police Association.

Why?

Because there was, and is, no viable grass roots anti-gun movement, while firearms owners have organizations galor.

The Swiss and Czech rifles are being prohibited, again, because their toadies in the RCMP have told them it is time.

Now they're surreptitiously funneling funds to the new National LGR ... Oooooops ... I meant the Quebec LGR so it will be ready to accept non restricted gun data from ALL Canadian gun owners when the enabling legislation is passed sometime in JTs second mandate after the 2019 election.

Only a CPC majority will stop this because a LPC minority will be propped up by the NDP and will in fact be worse for gun owners than a clear LPC majority.

We gotta get the vote out for the CPC in 2019 if we want our sport to survive.