PDA

View Full Version : Nanuq(polar bear) tags are being drawn next Friday ...

Otokiak
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I just put my name into the lottery draw today for a nanuq(polar bear) tag ... draw happens next Friday ... CROSS your fingers for me please!!! Excited is an understatement for me ... HAHA ... :D

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

jwirecom109
11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
polar bear? damn good luck if you get drawn make sure we get lots of pictures

Baker
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
polar bear? damn good luck if you get drawn make sure we get lots of pictures

This! If you get one I want a tooth! :D lol

BuckingFastard
11-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Good luck!

JustBen
11-02-2012, 02:35 PM
What does polar bear taste like?

Are you going to have the hide tanned?

Best of luck!

Otokiak
11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
JustBen, If I get drawn for a tag and am successful in catching a polar bear I would eat and share the meat and have the hide turned into a rug and the skull mounted. Polar Bear meat is tough like pork is the only way I can describe it. Thanks alot fellow GOC'ers for the words,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet,NU
CANADA

p.s. I'll have no hair left by next Friday from pulling it out thinking and wishing ... HAHA :D :p

JustBen
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
JustBen, If I get drawn for a tag and am successful in catching a polar bear I would eat and share the meat and have the hide turned into a rug and the skull mounted. Polar Bear meat is tough like pork is the only way I can describe it. Thanks alot fellow GOC'ers for the words,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet,NU
CANADA

p.s. I'll have no hair left by next Friday from pulling it out thinking and wishing ... HAHA :D :p

I love the way your northern communities work! Sharing meat is a great idea with hunting - I usually give away a good chunk of my harvests to friends, family, and coworkers.

blacksmithden
11-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Fingers are crossed for you buddy ! Good luck !

sendmorebrains
11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Can I ask ... What would one use to take down a polar bear ?

Would a .308 do ?

7mm?

BuckingFastard
11-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Overkill but would be an awesome pic, captian morgan stance with your PGW .50 in your arms and one foot on the bear

Otokiak
11-04-2012, 05:11 PM
HAHAHAHA BF that would rock for sure ... sendmorebrains if I get picked for a tag I'll be taking my girl ROCHELLE ... springfield M1A. ;)

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

p.s. JustBen, I was taught to always share ... and it really is a way of life up here ... everyone helps/shares! :D

Otokiak
11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
204 applicants counted today ... I'm #55 ... 6 people chosen this morning for 6 tags have 48 hrs from midnite tonite to go find and get one at the same time ... so GOODLUCK to the hunters who got picked today. It's quite exciting and gets the whole community talking ... HAHA ... :D

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet,NU
CANADA

p.s. last year i was #167 or something out of approx 200 and thought I'd never have a chance ... yet I got to go ... so who knows this year ... ;)

Satain
11-09-2012, 05:55 PM
WE NEED PIC'S!!!
Bring the camera ;)
Good Luck 2

Otokiak
11-21-2012, 01:56 PM
HOLY SNICKERS BATMAN ... I was suppose to go Dec 4-6 for my tag ... just got a phone call and I'm moved up to next week Nov 28-30 to go get my bear ... CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOLKS!!! :D :D :D

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

jwirecom109
11-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Good Luck man, I hope you get one.

RobSmith
11-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Where would you go to get one ? Do they all congregate around the city dump like black bears do ?

Otokiak
11-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Head straight out onto the Hudson's Bay(hopefully it's frozen enough hopefully i say) and head north along the coast. If you check a map Rankin Inlet is waaaaaaay in from the coast and most bears pass us by without hitting up our local dump so we usually head out and up north. Some folks head south of Rankin also but apparently the ice isn't great yet and the snow on the land is rough to travel via snowmobile. I'm honestly not sure as the past two yrs I went north and saw bears but no luck ... we shall see next week. CROSS YOUR FINGERS please ... haha. cheers GOC,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

sdeviation
11-22-2012, 10:49 AM
this would be a dream hunt for me ,,,wow congrats on the tag... all the best

Otokiak
11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm in the wrong community ... HAHA ... good friend just told me that in his home community of Arviat(south of me) they had 10 polar bears in their dump last nite and had to get the renewable resource guys to chase them off and then today one walked into town ... D'Oh ... they've killed their quota so now they're dealing with chasing them off. Me thinks I might have to do a 6 hr snowmobile ride south next week ... HAHA! ;)

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

blacksmithden
11-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Congratulations on your number coming up !!!! Good luck from all of us !

Otokiak
11-23-2012, 02:52 PM
1 x 8 footer caught only a couple miles from town this morning. Waiting on pics from my friend who got it ... LUCKY SOB!!!

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Satain
11-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Whoo Hoo!!!
Awesome & Well Done...
But it's all hersay unless we get pic's :p

blacksmithden
11-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey...it's all fine and dandy to sit around here envying the guy who got one......that and toonie will get you an extra large coffee at Tim Hortons. Why haven't you got your butt out there scouting ?????

Otokiak
11-26-2012, 01:33 AM
My neighbours son got one today as did another guy yesterday apparently both approx 10 footers. I have to wait until the dates the HTO provides me with ... and there's people between now and my dates that get to try ... if they don't succeed when my dates come up I get to go ... ugh I'm soooo crossing my fingers the folks ahead of me don't get ... yet part of me wishes them luck!!! HAHA.

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Rory McCanuck
11-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Here's wishing you some luck, O.
I imagine that could be a pretty tough hunt, but oh, the reward... :)

Otokiak
11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Well it sucks to be me today ... HAHA ... the last bear tag was filled ... daaaaarn it!!! Oh well congrats to the local hunters the lucky SOB's ... HAHAHA ... I do have some pics of my neighbours son who caught a 9 footer and will post that after work. There's hopefully next year. Cheers GOC,

Otokiak
Rankin inlet, NU
CANADA

RobSmith
11-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Sorry to hear that dude, I was really looking forward to the pics, somehow I just can't get enough of the pictures you post of the tundra and iceflows and the critters on them and so on ...

Garetsu
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear that dude, I was really looking forward to the pics, somehow I just can't get enough of the pictures you post of the tundra and iceflows and the critters on them and so on ...

He posts some pretty epic pics, haha!

Otokiak
10-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I just had to share this with you fine folks of GOC ... I just got a phone call and polar bear season this year starts November 1, 2013 at 6am. 4 tags are OPEN which means anyone can go find a bear and come home and report right away. Once the 4 are filled there will be a lotto draw on 3 more tags which you have to pu tyour name in for and whoever get's drawn has 72 hrs to go catch one. YES I'M PUMPED for the OPEN part and going to get my shizznat ready now as I'll be heading out on the 1st at 6am for sure!

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Tok-man
10-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Good luck!

Croats
10-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Dumb question but I thought the Inuit people can hunt without a tag and such, I am not sure about polar bear I thought those were put on the protected list - is that why there are tags now for them???

BTW I got 2 polar bears this year, Hudson and the Churchill cell phone bear..not sure If I can shoot them might scare the crap out of the visitors at the park staff.... Just say'in.
LOL

Otokiak
10-18-2013, 11:08 AM
We regulate and tag certain species up north ... polar bear is one of them due to southern influence.(supposedly they're going extinct) I shall post pics if/when I do get one. Cheers GOC,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Croats
10-18-2013, 12:01 PM
We regulate and tag certain species up north ... polar bear is one of them due to southern influence.(supposedly they're going extinct) I shall post pics if/when I do get one. Cheers GOC,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Cool, yes please update us with pics and such - I appreciate the info. for us who have never been up to the real great white north it is nice to get insider info.
Thank you

tuffteddyb
10-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Would be UNDESCRIBABLE to get to go and try for a polar bear!
I SOOOO ENVIOUS!!!
But sure hope you get one!BEST OF LUCK!!