PDA

View Full Version : Casting and Loading Golden Bullets?

&14ALL
11-03-2012, 02:50 PM
In the thread about preserving your wealth with gold and silver, I mentioned the story I read about american pioneers who mined a placer deposit en route to the unexplored West and carried the gold as bullets instead of using their lead bullets because they had no nearby market for the gold and they could only carry so much weight.

Could you realistically cast functional gold bullets as a useful way of storing gold? What would the problems be and how would this work? I assume there could be some powder changes in the load recipes due to differences in weight, elasticity, etc. compared to cast lead and fancier commercial bullets.

stevesummit
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I would think that if the gold is clean it would perform close to lead as both are very soft in pure form

Frostback
11-03-2012, 09:13 PM
They are also similar in weight. Checkout the periodic table. Gold does take a whole lot more heat to melt though.

Frosty

sDot
11-04-2012, 07:21 PM
You'd make sure you kill the guy so you can get your bullets back..

harbl_the_cat
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Gold, silver and copper all have melting points that are quite similar. You probably couldn't practically cast bullets with any of them, you might be able to plate lead bullets or make FMJ out of them, though.

Keeping it in perspective, you can cast lead with a hot plate. You would need a propane torch just to melt gold, silver or copper.

Plmnkoqaz
02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
If course you could, but why would you want to. At $1600 dollars an ounce (437gr.) that's around $200 for a 220gr 45 acp projectile. Over 500 for .50 Bmg. Would be a cool conversation piece but hardly a safe investment strategy.

Drache
02-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Gold, silver and copper all have melting points that are quite similar. You probably couldn't practically cast bullets with any of them,

Bulletforge makes SOLID cast bullets out of Silver, Platinum and 14k Gold. They also do plated bullets for those with smaller wallets :D

NZClaybuster
02-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I think the only problem would be making sure that you didn't shoot them!