PDA

View Full Version : M14 chewing up live rounds after multiple chamberings/extracting ?

RobSmith
11-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Long story short, I went deer hunting over the weekend, didn't see anything but the important part is that I ended up loading and unloading the rifle several times. The chamberound round would then go back into the magazine until it was needed again. The last time I loaded it up I notice that the exposed lead tip of the bullet was quite mangled/flattened. I then removed that particular round from the mag and carefully examined it, found the following :
Exposed lead tip damaged/flattened,
very obvious dents about halfway up the shoulder,
deep scratches running almost the entire lenght of the main case body,
chewed up rim with several deep nicks into it, flattened case head (to the point where much of the lettering was no longer legible),
slightly dented primer.

Not wanting to end up with an unsafe round I opted to safely discharge it into a large stump as I was leaving but couldn't find the brass as light was fading by then.

The question is : is this normal behavior for an M14 ?

Should this be a concern ?

Satain
11-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Ya you should try to stick to holo point's. Cause of the way it feeds into the magazine the ramp smashes up the tips.
As for the dented primer's thats cause it uses the free floating firing pin. Hense why you see a little dimple there even though you never pulled the trigger.
The other cosmetic stuff on your cartridge is caused by the extraction of the spent cartridge.
The only thing I would be concern about is blown primer pockets, slam fire's and or cases's that have sign's of extreme pressure.

matty86suk
11-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Try a ballistic tip bullet, amax, nosler...etc