PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a gunsmithing torque wrench? How badly?

Ruff
05-03-2018, 07:05 AM
I have a high-accuracy .22 on the way, had a bit of an unsuspected delay going on thanks to some bizarre behaviour at the new gun store in town that I thought I would favour, but it should be here soon now. Especially as the store has now proved unreliable, I'll be mounting the scope myself and am contemplating buying a specialized torque wrench to use doing it (sells for around $80 at Cabelas for instance). In years past, I was doing a lot of work on relatively delicate items like bicycles and had a fairly good sense around manually setting reasonably correct torques (at least I never stripped things), now I' m pretty sure I've lost that touch (and what's more I did use to have home-installed scopes drift loose after a while and that was despite using Loctite and all, so I believe I was under-tightening even then). Just wondering if people use and recommend them, I don't have that many scoped rifles and mounting one isn't something I'll be doing all the time.

Here's a photo of the unit I can easily buy:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_229551_imageset_02?wid=300&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

Waterloomike
05-03-2018, 07:41 AM
It's for more than scopes. I have a couple rifles that have to be accurately torqued when the stock comes off.

kennymo
05-03-2018, 08:55 AM
The Wheeler torque screwdriver you've posted works acceptably well. I have it as part of their scope mounting kit, which is occasionally invaluable, especially on older rifles that don't have tolerances quite as close as new stuff made on CNC equipment. I torque all my scope rings and mounts to manufacture's specs now, as well as the odd rifle stock and other doohickeys...

There are more expensive units that will torque a little more accurately, but I believe the Wheeler is good enough for the hobbyist, or anyone not using it to make a living.

Drache
05-03-2018, 09:20 AM
It's the go to torque driver here! We've only had one of the bits break on us and that was only at 18 inch pounds so it was probably a defect in the metal. Got a replacement and haven't had one break since

lone-wolf
05-03-2018, 12:01 PM
If I was only doing scopes, I seem to have a decent feel for it I wouldn't get one.
Now I'm doing stocks and gas blocks so I went and got the same but digital torque wrench.

Ruff
05-04-2018, 02:35 AM
It's the go to torque driver here! We've only had one of the bits break on us and that was only at 18 inch pounds so it was probably a defect in the metal. Got a replacement and haven't had one break since

I assume the bits are standard fit one and not specially made for this wrench?

Codyg14
05-04-2018, 04:48 AM
I assume the bits are standard fit one and not specially made for this wrench?

Yes any other bits you have work with it.

Have one works very well

stewbud
05-04-2018, 06:03 AM
Ruff,

For the money they are asking at Cabelas in Canada it seems like a useful tool to have.

At the factory we used to beg the workers to 'unload' their torque wrenches at the end of the shift - to keep them in calibration.

Stewbud

glockfan
05-04-2018, 07:21 AM
i have this wheeler unit and i worked on hundreds of scopes,rings, stocks with it......it's the perefect tool for what you intend to do . mine worked perfect for 5-6 years of intense work,still going strong , then i figure a good advice would be '''good buy'''.

Eel
05-04-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm looking into purchasing a wheeler soon. Has anyone here used the digital fat wrench? I see they are only 30 dollars more or so and I was wondering if there are any thoughts on them.

lone-wolf
05-04-2018, 01:26 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a wheeler soon. Has anyone here used the digital fat wrench? I see they are only 30 dollars more or so and I was wondering if there are any thoughts on them.

Mine seems fine. I can't really say if they're more or less accurate. Or longevity.

Run 'n' Gun
05-04-2018, 01:27 PM
I picked up that same wheeler unit on Amazon.ca, looks like the same price, just free shipping if you have Prime.

kennymo
05-04-2018, 03:22 PM

Biggest advantage I can see is a little extra precision in your torque setting. The graduated scale on the standard Wheeler wrench is pretty coarse and kind of small. Any setting outside of five pound increments involves an educated guesstimate, though I'm sure I'm getting it pretty damn close.....

Swampdonkey
05-04-2018, 03:26 PM
I have a Wheeler, which I've used not just on my guns but also the pinion bearings of my 03 F150. Conversely, if the Wheeler isn't fancy enough, Snap-On makes an extraordinary set.

blacksmithden
05-04-2018, 05:51 PM
I bought a Wheeler as well. It's nice knowing I'm making things tight enough, but I'm not in danger of my big dumb mechanic's paws stripping the hell out of tiny threaded things.

Waterloomike
05-04-2018, 06:01 PM
I have a Wheeler, which I've used not just on my guns but also the pinion bearings of my 03 F150. Conversely, if the Wheeler isn't fancy enough, Snap-On makes an extraordinary set.

What's that worth? Or cost?

Swampdonkey
05-04-2018, 06:14 PM
https://store.snapon.com/US-Reading-Standard-2-Accuracy-1-4--TORQOMETER-reg-Torque-Driver-U-S-Standard-Basic-50-in-lb-P634852.aspx

Just the driver, a bit set is extra.

Waterloomike
05-04-2018, 06:52 PM
https://store.snapon.com/US-Reading-Standard-2-Accuracy-1-4--TORQOMETER-reg-Torque-Driver-U-S-Standard-Basic-50-in-lb-P634852.aspx

Just the driver, a bit set is extra.

That IS extraordinary.

Stew
05-04-2018, 10:07 PM
needs dictate

road kill
05-05-2018, 07:48 AM
I have the wheeler unit, it works fine. Got mine for half price at a sale in WWS a few years back.;D

t_glover
05-05-2018, 07:26 PM
I acquired this thirty some years ago. Its a great tool!
Terry

https://i.imgur.com/ylb87nu.jpg

Tactical72
05-05-2018, 08:07 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/a76579746f93f22d96635d136aee0523.jpg
Vortex makes a nice torque driver. Nearly twice the price I paid for my Wheeler, but itís a much more refined tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eel
05-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Biggest advantage I can see is a little extra precision in your torque setting. The graduated scale on the standard Wheeler wrench is pretty coarse and kind of small. Any setting outside of five pound increments involves an educated guesstimate, though I'm sure I'm getting it pretty damn close.....

How does the digital one let you know you are there? Does it vibrate? or click?

Grimlock
05-08-2018, 11:33 AM
How does the digital one let you know you are there? Does it vibrate? or click?

It sends you an email.

lone-wolf
05-08-2018, 01:21 PM
lol, it beeps

Ruff
05-11-2018, 03:24 AM
Is it just me or did Cabelas jump the price of the Wheeler wrench by about $10 since my first post? Could this be the power of a mention on GOC?

Anyway, the thing is now effectively $90 online, plus tax and shipping of course.

speedloader
05-11-2018, 08:18 AM
yep its a rip off I do want one though but unless you mount scopes for a living
or other things requiring specific torque all the time .I can't justify paying that
I don't think I even paid that for the large ratchet style for working on vehicles
which sits in the tool box most of the time to bad you can't just rent one somewhere

IJ22
05-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Still 76.99 at Flaherty's

https://www.alflahertys.com/products/wheeler-f-a-t-wrench-torque-wrench-553556