PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Rifle advice

Blackbear74
11-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I have a Browning ABolt in a 7mm Rem Mag right now. I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older, or because I lost 40 lbs, but I can't stand the recoil of that gun anymore. It's got me fl fl fl flinch flinching. I'm looking for a better caliber to tame the recoil, but still have excellent results on a variety of game. I'm into deer, elk, bear, and hopefully moose hunting. I'm from the Alberta prairies so 2-3 hundred yard shots can be a possibility. I'm seriously looking at a 270wsm (I've shot a 270 before), 7mm-08, .308. Not a handloader, so shells must be readily available. What caliber does everybody recommend I buy. Looking for either X-Bolt or Ruger.

My bow outshoots me! Prime Centroid

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
11-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Ahh the old calibre question... ;) If you are recoil shy stick with a non magnum - look at .30-06, .270, .308, 7mm-08 - all readily available, and good proven preformance on any size North American game with the exception of the big brown bears. Shot placement is so much more important than terminal velocity and energy. Stay away from the short mags (I shoot .300 WSM and absolutly love it, but if you are recoil shy not a good choice) and the magnums. Pick a rifle that isn't the lightest of the bunch as the added weight of the rifle will soak up some recoil. If you need to you can always add a muzzle brake - although that brings along its own disadvantages.

JustBen
11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
If you like the gun, consider putting a muzzle break on it. Yes, it will be louder, but the recoil will be tamed significantly. Another option to consider is having a gunsmith install a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. It will add some weight, but they do work. Even adding a quality recoil pad like a limb saver makes one heck of a difference.

If you must change calibers, stay away from the Magnums. A .270 or a .30-06 are excellent cartridges for all that you will need them for.

stevesummit
11-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I would add a few extras in the list also 6.5x55 ,260, 280 and I would point you in the direction of a 308 as a go to rifle

blacksmithden
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Too bad you're so far south or I'd let you try my Browning BAR in 300 win mag. Honestly, between the weight of the rifle being a little on the heavy side, it being a semi, and I put on a Limbsaver slipon recoil pad...seriously, recoil wise, the thing doesn't feel much different to me than my Win model 94 in 30-30win.....but it still has the accuracy and power to reach out and drop things at many hundreds of yards. It's right up there on my never sell this gun list. I'm not a big fan of aluminum receivers in magnum cartridge guns (it's just me...I like steel), so if you did decide to go this route, look at the "Safari II" model. I have a gimpy right shoulder that's finally starting to feel better after a few years of healing, so I'm not a big fan of recoil either.

Top gun in the case. The other is my model 94 Winchester in 30-30
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/Edmonton-20121008-00274.jpg

Blackbear74
11-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks to everyone that responded. The 30-06 and 308 both intrigued me as well. 30-06 seems like such versatile gun, with a wide variety of bullet weights available and the easy access to over the counter shells. Just didn't know about the recoil. With the 308, I was a little concerned about knock down power on big animals. I know with proper shot placement, (I've taken an elk with a .243 and I'm a bow hunter mostly) but it seems more ethical to me to have proper calibers for the game your shooting. I'm not sure. Is the 308 not more of a bench shooting, long range, varmit type caliber? No offense meant. Just a honest question.

stevesummit
11-12-2012, 04:50 AM
The 308 is lots closer to the 30/06 then most people give it credit for . With that said there is a little more horse power in the 06 , but if you have a flinch I think you will get over it faster with a solid rifle in 308. As for knock down power I can honestly say the 308 will drive home just as hard and deep compared too the 06! The really nice thing about the 308 is you can shoot it more with out getting beat up as much, I find the recoil in 06 over my limit for the fun factor while I can shoot 308 all day with no ill effects ymmv tho .

road kill
11-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Get an 06, ammo available everywhere. Muzzle brakes work also but can be hard on the ears, on the other hand another rifle to shoot is a good thing. Soooo many choices, so little bank account.

Blackbear74
11-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys, great advice. I'm going to look into a 308. See what's out there. Probably have my 7mm up for sale real soon;)

cmiller82
11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I had the same dilemma as you. I needed a moose gun, but didn't want anything that would make me wince before pulling the trigger. I went with a Remington 750 in. 308. It works great, it's light, and I can shoot 40 rounds out of it in a session at the range without any discomfort.

Rory McCanuck
11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
My hunting buddy uses a 30-06 BAR. When it goes off it sounds like the world is coming to an end.
It is seriously loud, just ignorant. But that's only for the people around, not shooting it.
It is an absolute pussycat to shoot, and annoyingly accurate. :(
His doesn't have the BOSS or any other type of brake, its just a bit heavy and the semi-action soaks up the recoil.
I imagine one, with the BOSS, even in 7mm mag would be pleasant.
One in 308 would be really, really nice.

superbrad
11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I have a Rem700 sps DM in aught six and love it.... very versatile round and very accurate rifle.... You can practically buy accessories and parts at the corner store and it was inexpensive when purchased on sale.... I topped mine with a Redfield Revolution 3-9 x 50 and absolutely love it....

I looked at the X bolt but couldn't get past the styling... I am a much bigger fan of the A bolt...w

How much are you looking to spend?

Otokiak
11-13-2012, 10:58 AM
308 ... kills anything & everything dead! ;)

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

p.s. Ruger M77 MII stainless in synthetic stock ... lightweight, doesn't rust ... just a suggestion ... ;)

BuckingFastard
11-13-2012, 01:25 PM
308 ... kills anything & everything dead! ;)

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

p.s. Ruger M77 MII stainless in synthetic stock ... lightweight, doesn't rust ... just a suggestion ... ;)

Yes it does, I love my 30-06, 270, & 243 but I find my self always going back to the 308.

Ps just picked up my ol man's xmas present, browning BLR light weight in 308, it's short, compact, camo syn stock, aircraft grade & stainless it also doesn't rust....... Another suggestion :p

Ar180shooter
11-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I killed my first deer last Monday with a Stevens 200 in .308, and was truly shocked with the amount of destruction that cartridge did. Within a few hundred yards, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything in North America, except for maybe Grizzlies and Polar Bears.

Blackbear74
11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I looked at the X bolt but couldn't get past the styling... I am a much bigger fan of the A bolt...w

How much are you looking to spend?
My budget is around 8-9 hun but I'm trying to get my A bolt sold first.
I like my A-Bolt. What is the difference between the A-Bolt and A-Bolt II? One thing about a 308, it always opens up possibilities on heavy barrels. I always loved bull barrels.

CanuckWR
11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
A heavy profile barrel is going to make a 308 even sweeter to shoot. Short and heavy makes a great carry gun for the bush. ;)

I love mine, all of them actually
1. for ammo price (wallymart is about $20 a box for winchester grey box)
2. if you reload you have a selection of 110gn varmint bullets to 220gn big game busters
3. you dont need super tough optics, a cheap scope will live on a standard 308 hunting rifle
4. good luck NOT finding ammo for a 308.
5. recoil isn't huge
6. It works, pretty well actually, and they generally are very accurate.

Great choice Blackbear74, I am certain you wont regret it.

jaydog
11-14-2012, 12:56 AM
I grew up in moose country- a .308 will do you fine!

Blackbear74
11-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice. .308 it is. Now, just to decide which rifle to get it in. :confused: Ahhh, that is part of the fun...

cmiller82
11-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Here was my list... starting with the rifle I bought...

1. Remington 750
2. Browning BAR
And some bolt options...
3. Tikka T3
4. Weatherby Vanguard sporter.

A friend of mine loves his BLR in 308, but I'm not a big fan of it.

I sure I've left some good one's out...

CanuckWR
11-14-2012, 11:30 PM
I am in the same battle right now between 270win and 6.5x55swede. Sometimes you just need to buy both. ;)

+1 for tikka. My choice in off the shelf value for hunting. Just all around good stuff.

cormiermc
11-15-2012, 04:46 AM
like a few have said, recoil is not only a caliber question. i own an older savage 110 in 7mm rem. mag. with wood stock that kick less that the 30 06 semi auto i tried this summer but my brother's remington with synthetic stock kick a lot more then mine for the same ammo.

Blackbear74
11-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm really loving the Brownings right now. I'm looking at the X-Bolt Composite Varmit Stalker in a .308. Heavy barrel, synthetic stock, little bit on the heavier side to pack for hunting, but I'm sure more pleasant to shoot @ 8lbs.
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/x-bolt-varmint-stalker/prod263934.html
I'm not into customizing rifles, so I don't need a lot of aftermarket accessories for it. Does anybody have any experience with Brownings' synthetic stocks? Is the quality any good or are they plastic junk?

Rory McCanuck
11-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I have no idea what the Browning's stock is like, but hopefully it isn't as glossy/shiny as their wood ones.
That's a pretty nice looking rifle at the link.
The weight isn't the only factor though. A well balanced rifle can be two pounds heavier, but be more comfortable
to carry all day than a lighter rifle that is awkward.
With the heavy barrel and the weight further forward, it will tend to swing better and be steadier when shooting
offhand. Its really something you have to handle in person to see if it is comfortable.

KnowledgeSeeker
12-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys, great advice. I'm going to look into a 308. See what's out there. Probably have my 7mm up for sale real soon;)

I'll be interested to take a look if it has a price tag on it!

Petamocto
12-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Before you give up on your rifle, do some research on modern recoil-reducing butt pads. Some of the newer ones are a full 1" thick and can work miracles, so you wouldn't have to give up your rifle or calibre.

R&R Rancher
12-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Original thread from 2012?

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae225/dangreco/General/AriseThreadLongSinceDead.jpg (http://s974.photobucket.com/user/dangreco/media/General/AriseThreadLongSinceDead.jpg.html)

Petamocto
12-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Damn you knowledge seeker, it's a trap!

Gunexpert007
12-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks to everyone that responded. The 30-06 and 308 both intrigued me as well. 30-06 seems like such versatile gun, with a wide variety of bullet weights available and the easy access to over the counter shells. Just didn't know about the recoil. With the 308, I was a little concerned about knock down power on big animals. I know with proper shot placement, (I've taken an elk with a .243 and I'm a bow hunter mostly) but it seems more ethical to me to have proper calibers for the game your shooting. I'm not sure. Is the 308 not more of a bench shooting, long range, varmit type caliber? No offense meant. Just a honest question.

The recoil of a 30-06 and 7mm mag. will be close to the same . Go with the 308 ; you can get ammo anywhere , and it comes in a wide variety for about any size game...Probably cheaper to put a muzzle break on your current rifle...So what did you end up buying back in 2012 ?

Petamocto
12-20-2015, 06:18 PM
His last post was 2+ years ago, so we may never learn the ending to the story.

coastal
12-20-2015, 06:24 PM
If you like the gun, consider putting a muzzle break on it. Yes, it will be louder, but the recoil will be tamed significantly. Another option to consider is having a gunsmith install a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. It will add some weight, but they do work. Even adding a quality recoil pad like a limb saver makes one heck of a difference.

If you must change calibers, stay away from the Magnums. A .270 or a .30-06 are excellent cartridges for all that you will need them for.

I was going to say the same...I have a 7RM with a muzzle brake and I could shoot it all day...it feels like a heavier hitting .223.

;)

coastal
12-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Oh I got duped into an old thread! bugger!

svehn
12-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Do you reload? If so, just make some reduced power loads. My father used to do up 3/4 charges for me when I was 12 for his 7mm. They had the recoil of a 308.

svehn
12-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Horse puckey, so did I.

Foxer
12-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Honestly - i think the muzzle break idea is the way to go. Especially since they've got those new threadless muzzle breaks which seem to be working well. That'll be more pleasent to shoot than going to a smaller cartridge. I'd be seriously thinking about that - muzzle breaks are amazing at recoil reduction and can turn a seven into a two pretty fast.

Foxer
12-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Oh I got duped into an old thread! bugger!

Ahh snicklefritz.

Blackbear74
12-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Ahh to satisfy your guys curiosity...never bought anything. Bared with it for the last couple of years. Bought a lead sled for lining up prior to hunting season and never got drawn for much so only had to shot it a couple of times. I'm back to the same conundrum as my brother wants to buy it from me. I'm thinking of the .308 in a x-bolt or a Weatherby vanguard 2.
Pros for the Browning
1. Detachable magazine
2. Better recoil pad (IMHO)
3. 60 degree bolt throw

Pro for the Vanguard
1. Longer barrel 24" vs the 22" with the Browning.
2. Little heavier to soak up the recoil
3. Great reputation for sub-MOA out of the box with factory ammo

I've also been looking at a Benelli R1 comfortech in 30-06 (seems as though there is limited chamberings). A little concerned about the groups it's capable of though.

Any thoughts.

kennymo
12-25-2015, 10:35 PM
That Benelli R1 is a sweet piece of equipment. I can't attest to it's accuracy, but I'm pretty sure they're tired of wiping the drool off the one at the local shop here.....

The Browning and the Vanguard are both good pieces of kit. In .308 I doubt you're gaining anything at all in a barrel longer than 22" though. A suggestion, have a look at Howa. They build the Vanguard for Weatherby, you can get the same great action in a Hogue (and other) stock, with more selection as to barrels and calibres at a great price point. One of the sponsors here carries them, though I can't recall exactly who right now.....Prophet River seems to carry a good selection of their product too.

svehn
12-26-2015, 12:35 AM
I'm not familiar with the R1, but, I can tell you that the Vanguard Series 2 are sweet rifles. I have fired a few of them. I own a custom series 1 and love it. The trigger is much better on the series 2 and the stock, while tupperware, has a nice fit to it and the new rubberized inserts make it very comfortable to hold. The recoil pad is nice and cushy and soaks up recoil beautifully.

The bolt is well designed and is one piece. So, very strong. In the event of a primer puncture or case head separation, the gasses go through the firing pin hole and out 3 ports that are positioned in the ejection port. They just harmlessly dissipate in the air, instead of being directed down into the magazine to blow apart your stock. Never had it happen, but, I like the attention to detail they put into it for the rare event it does happen.

I run my loads pretty hot in my Series 1 and it has never complained. I am planning on building a Series 2 into the new Weatherby round once I get the money together. 6.5-300Wby. I should be able to scream those 6.5's out of a 30" barrel. :)

My 300Wby Vanguard Series 1 custom. I use it when hunting from some blinds I built on several of my and my families quarters of land.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/svehn/Mobile%20Uploads/20151111_135312_zpswydudxm0.jpg (http://s945.photobucket.com/user/svehn/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151111_135312_zpswydudxm0.jpg.html)
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/svehn/Mobile%20Uploads/20151111_135318_zpsdsvi5imq.jpg (http://s945.photobucket.com/user/svehn/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151111_135318_zpsdsvi5imq.jpg.html)

Blackbear74
12-26-2015, 06:24 AM
Sweet rig svehn. Does a guy have to run high rings to clear the 90 degree bolt lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackbear74
12-26-2015, 07:27 AM
A suggestion, have a look at Howa. They build the Vanguard for Weatherby, you can get the same great action in a Hogue (and other) stock, with more selection as to barrels and calibres at a great price point.

So the stock on the Weatherby is not made by Hogue?

Camo tung
12-26-2015, 08:28 AM
I have a Ruger M77 in 7MM and when mounted in a Ramline stock it would scope me mercilessly. I changed out that stock for a Boyd's pepper laminate, left the length of pull the same, and used the same scope and mounts and now its much more enjoyable. Added, maybe, a pound and a half but its noticeable in a nice way.

svehn
12-26-2015, 08:48 AM
The eye piece clears with plenty of room on it as is. But, I had a 40mm Bushnell on it at first. I don't remember the height of the rings, but, I do remember the bolt would get close yet not hit due to the shape the handle is machined in.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

kennymo
12-26-2015, 10:36 AM
So the stock on the Weatherby is not made by Hogue?

I thought the Vanguard had some sort of proprietary Weatherby stock, but I could be mistaken. I do know they are a different stock than the ones coming under the Howa name are wearing.

Blackbear74
12-26-2015, 11:00 AM
I thought the Vanguard had some sort of proprietary Weatherby stock, but I could be mistaken. I do know they are a different stock than the ones coming under the Howa name are wearing.

It could be. I'm probably wrong. Your right though the Weatherby's have their Monte Carlo style.

svehn
12-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Yeah, it is their own stock. I found it very comfortable.

Blackbear74
12-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it is their own stock. I found it very comfortable.

Does it feel "plasticity". I'm going to go down to the local shop on days off her and check a few out.

Still like the Brownings though...

kennymo
12-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Does it feel "plasticity". I'm going to go down to the local shop on days off her and check a few out.

Still like the Brownings though...

The Vanguard synthetics feel better than the cheaper Savages and some of the bargain basement guns if that's what you're asking.... I really liked the Series one stocks, though mine is in the low gloss sporter walnut. Series two has rubbery non slip inserts on the pistol grip and forend.

svehn
12-26-2015, 01:02 PM
You can tell it is plastic, but, it feels stiffer and more solid than savage and remingtons that I've held.

kennymo
12-26-2015, 01:05 PM
You can tell it is plastic, but, it feels stiffer and more solid than savage and remingtons that I've held.

The Series one felt like it had a bit of a non slip coating over the entire stock. Kind of like some of the Browning synthetics but not quite so squishy feeling. I preffered them to the current ones, though they aren't bad at all.

svehn
12-26-2015, 01:13 PM
The series 1 did have the roughened testure, but, with the rubber inserts I like the grip on the series 2 better. Mind you, I like my Manners T5A stock that I have on my Vanguard now the best. LOL.

A friend of mine pebbled the surface of his Series 2 by using roll on boxliner and a couple thick coats of paint. It felt a lot like my Manners stock.

Blackbear74
12-26-2015, 01:34 PM
Dang, work is getting in the way of fun. Can't wait to shoulder one now. Thanks for all the help.

Blackbear74
12-26-2015, 02:40 PM
One more thing. Are the actions bedded and the barrels free floating? I see nothing about it online.

svehn
12-26-2015, 02:47 PM
On the Vanguards, they are not free floating. Near the forward tip of the stock there is a pressure point that is put there on purpose. With the thin sporter weight barrels, Weatherby finds they shoot better with a bit of contact. Actions are not bedded as far as I am aware. Yet these rifles are still guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy. Boyd's makes some beautiful stocks for these rifles. Many other makers are starting to inlet for these rifles, as well. Best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned.

I will be buying another rifle soon to do a build on. I have decided that it will be another Vanguard action based on how well my first build did.

kennymo
12-26-2015, 03:03 PM
One more thing. Are the actions bedded and the barrels free floating? I see nothing about it online.

My walnut stocked model came glass bedded and free floated. I cannot attest to the synthetics, but most owners seem content with the accuracy. I have fired them, never bothered trying to slide a five dollar bill up the stock on one....

Blackbear74
01-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Well guys. I've had a change of heart. Can't sell my old faithful.
I bought a better recoil pad and a PAST shoulder pad. If worse come to worst, I put on a brake.

None of the other calibers seemed to get me too excited. Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

Foxer
01-02-2016, 10:00 AM
I bought a better recoil pad and a PAST shoulder pad. If worse come to worst, I put on a brake.

None of the other calibers seemed to get me too excited. Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

Well you know spatha tactical has that new brake out that doesn't require any threading, and supposedly it works very well. That's a pretty affordable solution and that'd take any nastiness out of the kick in a heartbeat. Tho a good pad and the past should really help a decent amount too.

BrotherRockeye
01-02-2016, 12:03 PM

Me, I'm proud of you!

You don't give up drinking because of hangovers ;D

Blackbear74
01-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Well you know spatha tactical has that new brake out that doesn't require any threading, and supposedly it works very well. That's a pretty affordable solution and that'd take any nastiness out of the kick in a heartbeat. Tho a good pad and the past should really help a decent amount too.

I don't think I'll be able to put a clamp-on brake on it. My barrel is magna-ported. I probably have to get a smith to cut my barrel off. Might as well get him to thread it at that time.

DethMyst
02-13-2016, 10:34 PM
I have a Browning ABolt in a 7mm Rem Mag right now. I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older, or because I lost 40 lbs, but I can't stand the recoil of that gun anymore. It's got me fl fl fl flinch flinching. I'm looking for a better caliber to tame the recoil, but still have excellent results on a variety of game. I'm into deer, elk, bear, and hopefully moose hunting. I'm from the Alberta prairies so 2-3 hundred yard shots can be a possibility. I'm seriously looking at a 270wsm (I've shot a 270 before), 7mm-08, .308. Not a handloader, so shells must be readily available. What caliber does everybody recommend I buy. Looking for either X-Bolt or Ruger.

My bow outshoots me! Prime Centroid

Just a dumb suggestion - but ever try a recoil shoulder pad? I remember the first day I shot my Weatherby PA-08 pump 12 gauge. Bought 4 boxes of 1750fps 1oz slugs. My shoulder had a black bruise on it that went to dark purple, to a nasty orange, for a week. With the weight of that gun and the force of those shells, I was looking at 38ft/lbs of recoil, which is more than what a .338 Winmag pumps you with. Had a bad flinch halfway through the day.

Bought a leather padded recoil pad that straps onto the shoulder - I can shoot that thing from dawn to dusk now. Makes a huge difference. Depending on your size/weight, it might make a big difference and allow you to keep shooting the big calibers.

EDIT: Just saw a latter post that you bought a recoil pad. Hope it works for yah!

Kenwp
02-14-2016, 06:10 AM
I found a shoulder pad and a slip on butt pad worked for me with my number 3 Ruger as it is so light to begin with the recoil while target shooting was brutal with heavy loads for hunting. While hunting the recoil is not a problem due to excitement but after taking two shots with it one day at a bear in trees and shooting from both shoulders they both had huge purple bruises on them.

Blackbear74
02-14-2016, 06:27 AM
Ya I got the new limbsaver pad put on, bought a PAST and also bought a Blackhawk Cheek pad. I found my cheek weld was very good and I've read that some felt recoil could be due to that. It's yet to be shot with this setup, but I'm looking forward to come spring.
Right now I just digging the new .204 I've bought.

killer kane
02-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Ahh the old calibre question... ;) If you are recoil shy stick with a non magnum - look at .30-06, .270, .308, 7mm-08 - all readily available, and good proven preformance on any size North American game with the exception of the big brown bears. Shot placement is so much more important than terminal velocity and energy. Stay away from the short mags (I shoot .300 WSM and absolutly love it, but if you are recoil shy not a good choice) and the magnums. Pick a rifle that isn't the lightest of the bunch as the added weight of the rifle will soak up some recoil. If you need to you can always add a muzzle brake - although that brings along its own disadvantages.

These would be my choice.

killer kane
02-14-2016, 07:51 PM
The 308 is lots closer to the 30/06 then most people give it credit for . With that said there is a little more horse power in the 06 , but if you have a flinch I think you will get over it faster with a solid rifle in 308. As for knock down power I can honestly say the 308 will drive home just as hard and deep compared too the 06! The really nice thing about the 308 is you can shoot it more with out getting beat up as much, I find the recoil in 06 over my limit for the fun factor while I can shoot 308 all day with no ill effects ymmv tho .

Got both, I love my 06, but like Steve said, the .308 will give you the results you want, especially if recoil's an issue.