PDA

View Full Version : Notice: Future of GOC Giveaways

jwirecom109
06-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Good Evening.

Over the past 6 years Gun Owners of Canada has pushed for offering the best of the best to the Community and we will continue to do so in the future.

In those 6 years we have given away 10's of thousands of dollars of giveaways to our members.

But as of 2019, Gun Owners of Canada will be scaling back giveaways offered.

This was not an easy choice for us, but we will still should have several giveaways ran each year, hopefully larger ones (maybe even guns), But many of the monthly draws will no longer happen.

For full disclosure we wanted to explain why.

Firstly, Rising cost of operations, and postage have us scaling back. Our postage costs for last year and this year, with package costs increasing is taking a large chunk out of our operational costs.
And time restrictions due to these contests being only ran by the admins they are VERY time consuming and we only have so much time in a day.

This isn't a full time job for both the admins, and for our volunteer moderators.

We are not in it for the money, but we have ensure that the time and the costs we spend make sense.

Hopefully you all understand and support GOC going forward.

Dewey Cox
06-17-2018, 10:46 PM
I’m glad I had a chance to win one.
I use my tactical innovations coaster about every other day.

ESnel
06-17-2018, 11:44 PM
I never win anyhow so it's not like I've lost any opportunities :p

Yogi05
06-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Up'd my post count. That's a win isn't it?

Thanks for the suspense from the contests you have run, and looking forward to whatever you do run in the future.

ruger#1
06-18-2018, 03:00 AM
You guys do a great job on the site. People have to realize. It costs money , and takes up a lot of time. Things are also getting tough all over. Thank You for all your hard work.

shortandlong
06-18-2018, 03:57 AM
I have a problem! Did you really have to use that Soviet progressive term “moving forward” ? Lol

DanN
06-18-2018, 12:34 PM
This is the best run forum site I visit, and I am here at least 5 days a week. You guys put on a heck of a show. THANK YOU.

As to postage costs, I doubt many, if any, would object to paying the postage to get their prize delivered...

GonZo
06-18-2018, 02:00 PM
This forum is one of the few places I check daily and I thank you Jwire and all the mods for the awesome community that is on this forum. I thank you as both a poster and a winner, and I agree with DanN, I think nobody would have a problem if we had to pay the postage, its a small price to pay for the great prizes (like my wonderful 1911, thank you again).

Tbolt
06-20-2018, 05:55 AM
This is a great forum. The mods are good people
I also agree with DanN, I would not object to having to pay shipping.

RobertMcC
06-21-2018, 11:01 AM
What if the winner pays for shipping? I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying 20-30$ on something they won for Free...

One day I hope to win something. Even if its a key chain...

Mark-II
06-21-2018, 11:09 AM
It was a good promotional tool to help establish the board. I don't think I've entered more than 1 in the past year; it just isn't really important to me.

What I do appreciate is the company kept here, and not feeling compelled to pay for 'premium' features or access, like there is elsewhere.

jwirecom109
06-21-2018, 07:40 PM
What if the winner pays for shipping? I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying 20-30$ on something they won for Free...

sadly we are paying alot more, we sent everything fully insured, and tracked when its a package.

Dewey Cox
06-21-2018, 10:46 PM
I’m glad I had a chance to win one.
I use my tactical innovations coaster about every other day.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180622/dbea37268d63fdf0963c54e1ebef4231.jpg

DeisEcks
06-21-2018, 11:54 PM
Keep up the good work. Prizes or none.

Relic49
06-22-2018, 04:07 AM
I 'm on here most every day. You guys do a great job keeping this forum going. I'm not in it for the prizes, just for the education.The guys here have a lot of information regarding subjects I'm not familiar with.

glockfan
06-22-2018, 04:29 AM
giveaways or not, GOC will always be the best forum to hang out with our community's friends. so, i'm giving aways a large thumb up to you guys.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/26/13/9b2613ad30ec5ab61d646994a0e42057.jpg

SIR VEYOR
06-22-2018, 06:02 AM
Not that I even bother to enter a lot, but maybe you could work out “e-gift cards/discounts” with some site sponsors for a few $ off an order or something.

Not sure how difficult it would be for the sponsor to setup, though. Sort of a % for all GOC, and 2-3x% for just a few winners. Conditional on 3-7 days to be used. Maybe just a bogus stock item for winners to put in cart to show they won. Sponsor can control it as inventory and/or colour options maybe. 15 pvc pipes, ten in “hot pink”, 5 in “uranium-235”. And priced as more than anyone would pay to eliminate accidentally having wrong people try to but it.

It’d boost traffic to the sponsors site as hopefuls shop in advance and should drive at least a few impulse buys before and definitely after. Something that’s less work for both you and the sponsor. I realize even the sponsors have a shoestring budget and it’s typically more a labour of love than absolute profit for most.

jwirecom109
06-22-2018, 07:40 AM
Not that I even bother to enter a lot, but maybe you could work out “e-gift cards/discounts” with some site sponsors for a few $ off an order or something.

Not sure how difficult it would be for the sponsor to setup, though. Sort of a % for all GOC, and 2-3x% for just a few winners. Conditional on 3-7 days to be used. Maybe just a bogus stock item for winners to put in cart to show they won. Sponsor can control it as inventory and/or colour options maybe. 15 pvc pipes, ten in “hot pink”, 5 in “uranium-235”. And priced as more than anyone would pay to eliminate accidentally having wrong people try to but it.

It’d boost traffic to the sponsors site as hopefuls shop in advance and should drive at least a few impulse buys before and definitely after. Something that’s less work for both you and the sponsor. I realize even the sponsors have a shoestring budget and it’s typically more a labour of love than absolute profit for most.

we currently have a discount program with the dealers, they offer 5+% off too all members,

Check the box discounts link at the top.

SIR VEYOR
06-23-2018, 07:59 AM
we currently have a discount program with the dealers, they offer 5+% off too all members,

Check the box discounts link at the top.

Thanks for bumping that, it was kinda in that vein, but more of a bigger boom for winners and maybe not so common sponsors. Sort of an extra carrot to pull the trigger on buying.

I’m not trying to knock or downplay those vendors efforts at all. Absolutely awesome, and I try to go there first. Just wondering if more of a “Limited time, act now” traffic bump thing. Lots of people need just a little nudge and traffic here should see an increase from the frugal or limited funds shoppers checking in regularly. I don’t believe any other firearms related sites do that now. However, this type of thing does show up in the vendors’ email listings.

I’m thinking I’m maybe not explaining it well, or missing an execution issue that most everyone else knows about but is politely not pointing out to me.

pandemic
07-18-2018, 11:43 AM
I love the giveaways but I know they are a lot of work.

MarkR
07-19-2018, 04:03 AM
This is a great forum. The mods are good people
I also agree with DanN, I would not object to having to pay shipping.

I think everyone would be fine with this, but it is still a lot of work. It does increase traffic on dealer sites, and gets us familiar with those dealers; but is there anything stopping a dealer from running their own contest/promotion and posting in their forum? Companies have been doing this for a long time on other non firearm forums.

Thanks for doing this, it is fun, and have always tried to participate.

Mark

bramptonmike
08-24-2019, 05:20 AM
Well over the years i've won 2 giveaways and thank those in charge and fully understand the reasoning for cutting back. Thanks all for all you do..

Billythreefeathers
08-24-2019, 06:15 AM
Canada post ,,, postage rates in general ,,, way too high

they must be making way good coin with every thing being delivered,,, the mortar and brick days will soon be the olden days

RobertMcC
08-24-2019, 06:49 AM
Could get a small business account and do the draws in Oct. When Canada post normally has 1 free shipping per week in Oct. All you pay really is the oversize fee and taxes on long guns.

linung
08-24-2019, 10:26 PM
I'm surprised that it has last this long. I don't believe the traffic volume supports such extravagant giveaways.

Even though I've never won anything, I would like to say thanks for doing it.

I feel this is nicer then CGN. You kind of get lost in the noise there and it is very pushy about spending money on membership.

FALover
08-24-2019, 11:16 PM
..won my share as well. Best darned firearms forum that I belong to.

p.s. help the cause and donate a few bucks to cover operating costs.

p.p.s. that was a unsolicited request from a happy GOC'er.

srdiver
08-25-2019, 12:13 AM
damn how will I ever win again....

Billythreefeathers
08-25-2019, 09:35 AM
OK I got the next contest covered

I'm giving away an AR lower,,, thread is here some place,,,

found it,,, way down near the bottom,,,

https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php/55106-WIN-an-AR-LOWER