PDA

View Full Version : Overcharged for shipping = one less place to shop from

jwirecom109
11-14-2012, 09:50 AM
So recently I needed a small item, I tried to make one myself which turned out to be a failure but it was worth the try.

Second step was to buy it, it being a laser bore sighter the cartage type (300 win mag).

Anyways looked around and pretty much all the same price, found West Rifle had them instock so i thought i would give them a go.

One thing that struck me odd was that shipping was over 9 bucks to ship a small item, I mean, I am all for the tracking and insurance as I like to give that to guys that buy stuff from me aswell.

Not giving it much more on the thought i went ahead and bought it, the shipping for regular parcel and expedited was exactly the same so I picked Expedited (2 days shipping is ok with me)

Anyways I bought the item on Nov 4, when Nov 6 had come around and the website said the package was still pending in their system I thought I would give them a call.

"Yep its been sent, we didn't update the webpage, and we don't have a tracking as it gets sent in a envelope", ok i think well thats fine, expedited has those prepaid envelopes, it should be here any day now.

Anyways a week later (Nov 13) the package finally shows up, in a 30 cent envelope and a 51 cent stamp.... What exactly did i pay 9.60 for?? pretty sad that a company would only give you those options for shipping then not even send out that way.

Not to mention that the laser bore sighter didn't even work and had look like it had been tried out or returned before... (being abit of a handy guy and having experimented with laser pointers before i knew how to fix it, which it did get fixed and now works)

Now I'm big on customer service, If i get back service or overcharged for something i didn't get, I don't give second chances, I have emailed them this morning and flat out told them I want the shipping costs back as I paid for a service and didn't receive it, I'll see if they come through but its one less place for me to browse in the future.

What do you guys think? If you paid for the type of shipping you should get that type of shipping right? or atleast a refund? and the product should be New and in prefect working condition right?

sDot
11-14-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't buy from places that charge a flat rate and then pocket the difference. This is notorious with Canadian companies.

jwirecom109
11-14-2012, 10:16 AM
It wasn't even a flat rate it was a Canada post rate based on a small package and my postal code. Only options were regular / expedited shipping or priority.
Regular and expedited were the same cost.
Flat rate for small packages at a low cost would have not gotten me upset, but stating Canada post rates then pocketing the money is the issue

Canuck
11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
It chokes me when I have to pay $9.00 for a small $5.00 part. Sometimes that is what you have to do if you want to get that rifle/handgun back in use quickly. But I would fully expect it to be in a prepaid, expedited envelope with quick delivery. Those expedited letters, btw, can be tracked. The sender can track them if they don't show up on the date stated. I had a dealer overcharge me on shipping once when he said it would be the exact amount. It was about $4 more than he said. He acknowledged the mistake and gave me a $5 credit on my next purchase. I was happy with that as I buy a lot of stuff from him. I think that is a better way to do business and he certainly gets my repeat business. Will make a note of the company you had the issue with.

badboybeeson
11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I don't buy from places that charge a flat rate and then pocket the difference. This is notorious with Canadian companies.

well we do flat rate shipping of $13 in canada, we sure dont make any money off it, so far i think we are about $3800 in the hole from our flat rate shipping, even with our discounted rate from canada post.
we do this as we are customers too and we hate the shipping costs.
but their is no way we sould charge you package rate and send it letter mail, thats just not cool!
bbb

sDot
11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
The unions have made Canada post very unreasonable to ship with.

lone-wolf
11-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Bought an ar15 stock from brownells & shipping was under $6.

stevesummit
11-14-2012, 04:46 PM
We deal with this also. We loose money very regularly with Canada post shipping, but if we ship in an envolope then we charge the actual amount

sDot
11-14-2012, 08:02 PM
What I have been told on multiple occasions is that if you sign up for a business account with FedEx it is actually cheaper to mail things than with Canada Post.

Shipping at Brownells is great, however if you order a lot of things you will notice that customs begins opening your packages and charging you duty. Really sucks man.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
11-14-2012, 08:22 PM
We charge flat rates $12 for AB BC and SK, $14 for MB ON and QC and $16 for Maritime provinces and territories. At that we lose money on almost every sale in shipping cost. It is cheaper for us to ship a knife to Norway than it is to Quebec. Sorry guys but the retailer has gotta do what they gotta do in order to not lose money in the long run.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh and FedEx, UPS, DHL etc only are a better deal on larger freight - for small packages Canada Post (at least domestically) is still cheaper than the other options.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
11-14-2012, 08:37 PM
That being said - I agree with your complaint of the situation Jwire.

jwirecom109
11-14-2012, 10:49 PM
this is the response i got

. Our items go on account it was the same time for expedited envelope or .52 cents. Decision was made by Canada Post.
Envelope 1.50
Handling 3.00
Postage .52
Tax 12 % = .67
Total: 5.19

Regards

Al

alot of BS being throw around, and where does this 3 dollar handling now come from?

Satain
11-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Just need 2 know 1 thing...
What company did this?

Forbes/Hutton
11-14-2012, 11:44 PM
The worst is when a US company say's they'll ship USPS, or it's on the drop-down, whatever. Then instead they send it with the brown people. Got to love having the leach standing at the door telling you own them another $20 on a $25 item you paid $15 for shipping. That's after choosing a seller who will use USPS or claims to. Seems sometimes UPS is cheaper than USPS so the shipping department thinks the label or whatever is a mistake. Or it's because UPS will pick up and they don't feel like driving to the post office.

jwirecom109
11-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Really comes down the the principle of it, because the minimal cost is whatever. You don't charge to make money off of shipping, shipping is shipping.
In the End I vote which store i choose to shop at with my wallet, and well the wallet says no to this place.

sDot
11-15-2012, 07:51 AM
My wife does a lot of shipping for her business and she dreads shipping in Canada. Last time I shipped some stuff for her, the same package was $13 to Montreal, and $5 to California from Toronto.

That is what happens when Canada Post is forced to pay $10/hr workers $40/hr. Someone has to pay the cost. Unfortunately, unions are going to close down businesses and put people out of work with their greed.

Right Edition
11-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Before we opened the Big Shot Store, we couldn't figure out why there was no other Canadian online source of gun gadgets & fun stuff (not actual gun parts) -- now we know -- it's the cost of shipping. Shipping costs in Canada end up making the final cost of the item prohibitive to most consumers -- and also end up making the seller appear to be gouging. We charge a flat rate on items sold at our store and here is a recent experience. Sold a pair of earrings to someone in BC for $12.99 and charged a flat rate of $5 for shipping. Went to the post office and the absolute minimum to ship (in a small padded envelope) was $12 and change -- so more than the retail cost of the item. I agree with original poster that he should demand a refund on shipping if he paid for expedited and the seller did not ship expedited -- but just wanted to point out that sometimes when shipping costs seem unreasonable it is not the fault of the seller :)

matty86suk
11-18-2012, 08:49 AM
2 LAR mags would of costed 17 dollars to ship in 10 business days from the ammo source to me, so i paid 4 dollars extra each and bought local.

bjs7293
11-18-2012, 11:54 PM
this is the response i got

alot of BS being throw around, and where does this 3 dollar handling now come from?

Sorry to hear you got "Westrifled"...... you were not the first and you will not be the last.........

jwirecom109
11-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Seems I will receive a refund for the difference between the cost of the stamp and the envelope and the charged expedited amounts as per the email i received today.

jonanddad
11-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Alteast it worked out for you

Canuck
11-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Seems I will receive a refund for the difference between the cost of the stamp and the envelope and the charged expedited amounts as per the email i received today.

I really hope it had something to do with posting the incident on this site!!

bjs7293
11-23-2012, 10:16 PM

Glad it worked out for you. Goes to show you, the squeeky wheel gets the grease..........................