PDA

View Full Version : Beretta CX4 - NR

DOA
11-16-2012, 10:58 AM
So after shooting the CX4 Storm a couple weeks ago I'd really like to pick one up. I was told once by a guy (owner I believe) at a range/shop that once it's classified as restricted it can never be changed to nonrestricted. Then I read on here that a Calgary shop is doing just that. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any idea how the longer barrel with affect the shooting and feel? I'm kinda wondering if maybe I should just bypass it all together and pick up a JR.

Canuck
11-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I can't speak to the Beretta barrel issue- R to NR but I can speak for the JR. Very accurate, no recoil to speak of, and a lot of fun to shoot. The main advantage over the Beretta is that it is eminently modifiable as it uses so many AR parts and upgrades. I don't know how they compare pricewise. You can interchange calibres with the JR- another advantage to me.

50calshooter
11-16-2012, 01:46 PM
It can be re-classifed to non-res, atleast that is what I've been told.

The CX4 is restricted due to barrel length so it only makes sense.

JustBen
11-16-2012, 02:04 PM
You can get them reclassified. Dlask makes a barrel just for this purpose. However, it is not cheap. A non-restricted JR is a better bang for your buck.

https://www.dlaskarms.com//product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=309&osCsid=57457a2f1964005a49bd598e1e2f93a4

mlehto
11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Beretta is $1200 no?

Then $400 minimum for the barrel?

Then you wait for the smith to do the work......

Then you wait for the RCMP to do the classidication change......

Not worth it IMHO!

JR looks better anyways.

DOA
11-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Price point does make the JR a better value, would be nice to find one to shoulder. I also think the Storm is coming down in price due to lack of sales, probably not enough to compare value. The biggest factor in the storm is that I want a 9mm pistol too and I can share mags... I'm starting to wonder if I'm placing too much weight that though

JustBen
11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. Price point does make the JR a better value, would be nice to find one to shoulder. I also think the Storm is coming down in price due to lack of sales, probably not enough to compare value. The biggest factor in the storm is that I want a 9mm pistol too and I can share mags... I'm starting to wonder if I'm placing too much weight that though

With the Beretta, you need a Beretta 92 to share mags.

The JR comes in 9mm, and I believe it takes Glock mags. Get a Glock and you can share mags, just the same.

If you've shouldered an AR, the ergonomics of the JR carbine are very similar. Plus you can customize the JR with a new stock, grip, etc.

lone-wolf
11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
The JR uses pistol mags doesn't it? Same with the kel-tec 2000.

As for the restricted to non-res thing, handguns cannot be reclassified(might be where the confusion is from), they're always restricted. Look at the Rossi Circuit judge, a rifle version of 'the judge' is restricted because the police consider it to be a handgun still - even with the long barrel and stock.

Canuck
11-16-2012, 06:22 PM
The JR uses pistol mags doesn't it? Same with the kel-tec 2000.

As for the restricted to non-res thing, handguns cannot be reclassified(might be where the confusion is from), they're always restricted. Look at the Rossi Circuit judge, a rifle version of 'the judge' is restricted because the police consider it to be a handgun still - even with the long barrel and stock.

The 9mm and .40 JR Carbines use Glock mags. The .45 acp JR can use Glock or 1911 mags- but not interchangeably. You have to use one or the other.

Here is mine in .45 ACP. It's a very accurate carbine and a blast to shoot. I added a few goodies to it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/847/39237565.jpg

Xtreme
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
The 9mm and .40 JR Carbines use Glock mags. The .45 acp JR can use Glock or 1911 mags- but not interchangeably. You have to use one or the other.

Here is mine in .45 ACP. It's a very accurate carbine and a blast to shoot. I added a few goodies to it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/847/39237565.jpg

So does that mean you can run 10rnd Glock pistol mags in it the same as using the .50 Beowulf in the TAR-21?

Grain
01-07-2013, 05:40 PM
So does that mean you can run 10rnd Glock pistol mags in it the as using the .50 Beowulf in the TAR-21?

Correct.

Xtreme
01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Well then guess who's looking for a new JR-45... :D

mlehto
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
One thing to note. I have seen the Berettas going for 8-900 lately so if you really like the design........

Still I'd go with the JR and save the time and money. ;)

Epoxy7
01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Yes you can get the CX4 storm converted to NR. Bits and pieces did mine. I recommend going with the bull barrel for looks and to help keep the barrel from heating up quicker.

The Storm is ambi. You cam swap the ejection port from either side and the same goes for the charging handle. Also one polymer pin and it separates into two easy to transport pieces.

One other side note. 96f mags (40 S&W) are supposed to work with the 9mm allowing 12-13 9mm rounds.

The flaws: The web from the stock to the pistol grip and the sight hoods make mounting optics harder. Otherwise it's a well thought out and very fun carbine to shoot.

Deets
01-23-2013, 02:41 AM
One thing to note. I have seen the Berettas going for 8-900 lately so if you really like the design........

Still I'd go with the JR and save the time and money. ;)

I found the JR to be a bit finicky and picky with ammo. Ended up selling mine a couple weeks ago. I think the beretta is a better gun, if you can stand the looks.

blaxsun
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
I like the looks of the CX4 Storm better, actually. I was never a big fan of the disassembly method on the JR Carbine.

mlehto
01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
I like the looks of the CX4 Storm better, actually. I was never a big fan of the disassembly method on the JR Carbine.

Yeah, takedown is definitely the weak point of the JR, but it's not that bad.

The modded JR's I am seeing with the 12 inch handguards are really looking good. I may have to get one soon...... Wedding present??????

blaxsun
01-23-2013, 12:08 PM

The modded JR's I am seeing with the 12 inch handguards are really looking good. I may have to get one soon...... Wedding present??????

You're right that it's not a huge issue. Insofar as non-restricted 9mm, there really aren't a lot of options. Given a choice between a Thureon Defense, JR Carbine or Sub2000 the choice is obvious.

I would probably place the CX4 Storm at the top simply because while more expensive, it's a compact (semi-bullpup) setup, easy takedown and maintenance as well as being fairly accurate. What gives it the edge for me is that while it doesn't take Glock magazines, you can run the .40S&W Beretta ones (13 rounds of 9mm = win!)

Would it be taboo to put that on a wedding registry? ;)

Epoxy7
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Couldn't easily add pictures on my iphone. So here are a few of my NR CX4 storm. This one has a bull barrel on it and I put my M21 quick release sight that came with the Tavor on it. Finding decent optics for this firearm is the only difficulty. That's due to the hoods protecting the built in sites. The Eotechs while I'm a big fan, are hard with some of the firearms that have charging handles on the side. The Eotech was made for an AR so it's thickness doesn't interfere with anything on that platform. But it does interfere with many of the bullpup or pistol style carbines.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Epoxy7/IMG_0114.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Epoxy7/IMG_0113.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Epoxy7/IMG_0112.jpg

Mr.Smitty
01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
I have had both the JR and the beretta. Lets just say the JR is gone and I have two berettas now. Beretta easier to swap to lefty, easier to take down for cleaning, much lighter and in a shorter package. Accuracy they are about the same.