PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand 5 shot clips

rci2950
07-06-2018, 11:52 AM
why are these so rare in Canada? Does anyone hunt with their M1 Garand? Here in Nova Scotia we must have a 5 shot clip. There is no way around it. But yet nobody is willing to import them. Seems like a weird rock and hard place. I was going to order one from Brownells but they want $34 USD for just the shipping for a single en bloc. Not really at that point of desperation yet.

Anyone hunting with their Garand? What do you do?

Yes i tried to make one and snapped it off. Will probably keep trying like a tard until i break enough of them to validate the $34 US shipping to just order one.

lone-wolf
07-06-2018, 12:01 PM
There's all sorts of other brownells goodies I'd be adding to that order to make it worth it

FALover
07-06-2018, 02:03 PM
If you are dire need of one, pm me. I have some around here somewhere's.

Drache
07-06-2018, 02:44 PM
There are some guides online as well that show how to concert an 8 shot clip into a 5 shot with some work.

Stew
07-06-2018, 05:49 PM
misread

Justice
07-07-2018, 10:40 AM
"...so rare in Canada..." Mostly because the M1 Rifle is exempt, by name, from the silly mag capacity law. And not all Provinces require 5 rounds only for hunting. Find out of using an 8 round with only 5 loaded is acceptable. Use either a wood or plastic dowel.
However, Gunparts, Stateside wants $8.20US(~ $10.73Cdn) each for 5 round clips. Mind you, they also have a $14.95US(~ $20.56Cdn) shipping charge up to $9.99 total value. Total Cdn. is $31.29Cdn so they're not much better. An M1 is a beast to haul around hunting anyway.
Try Epp's and Western Gun Parts.
Making 'em? Requires a propane torch, a rotary tool, a bunch of DP cartridges(load 5 rounds with no powder or primer) and some of that patience everybody keeps talking about. The thing about heating what amounts to a spring red hot is that it takes out the temper. Not heating is why your's broke though.
https://www.huntinggearguy.com/equipment-reviews/how-to-make-your-own-5-round-garand-clips/

Drache
07-07-2018, 11:28 AM
"...so rare in Canada..." Mostly because the M1 Rifle is exempt, by name, from the silly mag capacity law. And not all Provinces require 5 rounds only for hunting. Find out of using an 8 round with only 5 loaded is acceptable. Use either a wood or plastic dowel.

NOVA SCOTIA HUNTING & FURHARVESTING SUMMARY OF REGULATIONS
Prohibited Weapons and Ammunition

No person shall possess at any time in wildlife habitat;
•a swivel or spring gun;
•a shotgun greater than 10 gauge;
•a device designed to deaden the sound of the report of a firearm;
•a magazine for a semi-automatic centre fire firearm which is capable
of containing more than 5 rounds of ammunition.

So from what it sounds like, it's not only illegal to hunt with a magazine that can hold more than 5 rounds (even if federally legal to do so), you can't even take one to go shooting on crown land....

Justice
07-07-2018, 12:03 PM
That last bolded one says no hunting in NS with an M1 Rifle at all. The operative word being "capable". Strictly speaking a high priced 5 round clip won't make any difference. The rifle is still capable of containing 8.
"...shooting on crown land..." Then the semantics will be about Federal vs Provincial Crown land. snicker.

kennymo
07-07-2018, 01:14 PM
NOVA SCOTIA HUNTING & FURHARVESTING SUMMARY OF REGULATIONS
Prohibited Weapons and Ammunition

No person shall possess at any time in wildlife habitat;
•a swivel or spring gun;
•a shotgun greater than 10 gauge;
•a device designed to deaden the sound of the report of a firearm;
•a magazine for a semi-automatic centre fire firearm which is capable
of containing more than 5 rounds of ammunition.

So from what it sounds like, it's not only illegal to hunt with a magazine that can hold more than 5 rounds (even if federally legal to do so), you can't even take one to go shooting on crown land....

Nitpicking here, but the M1 enbloc is not a magazine.....but I'm unsure how the fish cops would interpret that....

Drache
07-07-2018, 03:02 PM
That last bolded one says no hunting in NS with an M1 Rifle at all. The operative word being "capable". Strictly speaking a high priced 5 round clip won't make any difference. The rifle is still capable of containing 8.
"...shooting on crown land..." Then the semantics will be about Federal vs Provincial Crown land. snicker.

The law states a magazine containing more than 5 rounds, not the firearm itself. Meaning a pinned at 5 magazine would be legal, but only loading 5 rounds into a "pistol" magazine would not.

Nitpicking here, but the M1 enbloc is not a magazine.....but I'm unsure how the fish cops would interpret that....

Most laws are written to state "Magazine or Clip". My guess is the term is interchangeable.

Justice
07-08-2018, 10:17 AM
The whole thing is semantics. Interpreting the law is what the courts are for. Going to court usually runs a minimum of 5 figures.

Suputin
07-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Garland clips are NOT a magazine and the law does not allow words or terms to be used “interchangeably”. In law a word means what it is defined to mean and nothing is interchangeable.

Drache
07-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Garland clips are NOT a magazine and the law does not allow words or terms to be used “interchangeably”. In law a word means what it is defined to mean and nothing is interchangeable.

Closet thing I can find is in the CCC which says:

cartridge magazine means a device or container from which ammunition may be fed into the firing chamber of a firearm; (chargeur)

Which under that broad aspect an en bloc clip for a Garand would fall. And according to the CCC it seems to:

(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not include any cartridge magazine that

(a) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that

(i) is chambered for, or designed to use, rimfire cartridges,

(ii) is a rifle of the type commonly known as the “Lee Enfield” rifle, where the magazine is capable of containing not more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed, or

(iii) is commonly known as the U.S. Rifle M1 (Garand) including the Beretta M1 Garand rifle, the Breda M1 Garand rifle and the Springfield Armoury M1 Garand rifle;