PDA

View Full Version : EIA - EE Sports Bar - Anybody like it?

SIR VEYOR
08-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Alright, mini rant of disappointment...

Edmonton airport has a new (to me) sports bar after domestic security. EE Sports Bar. Near my gate, about 6PM, slowish travel day looks like. I’ve got lots of time, so slow service would be fine. Waitress is doing good job and is service is smooth. So they’re not busy. No more than ten people at any one time I’m in here. Try the special “E burger w/ fries”, still pushing $20. But airport food has become very good over the last few years, so WTH, splurge a bit being hungry from 7am.

Can someone please tell me this was a one off experience? I was kinda pulling for it.

Waffle fries, not really done. Mostly soft, lots of white outside. Not very many on the plate either. Think one quick grab from the bag.
Burger, tries and fails hard. About as thick as an encased smartphone, dry. Bacon, hard. Chewy. Not really a bad slice, but badly done and left out seems like. Fancy bread, so it held up, but not great taste or texture. They tried upscale, so maybe that’s part of why I’m so bummed out.
First thought, prepped offsite and just microwaved to heat up? Cooled down really fast too.

Now it wasn’t unsafe to eat, just very unappetizing and a down experience. Being hungry, I expected it would taste better just from that, but no. And I did eat it all. Airport burger of the 90s at best.

Franchise fees for the name and airport real estate explains part of the cost, but for this price point, they need to do so much better. The entire menu is running about $3-5 more than most decent/good post security places in YEG and elsewhere.

I don’t post on Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc but felt the need to vent. Given the heavy AB members of the site, it’s also a quick way to see if this is normal or not...

LB303
08-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Most I've ever broke down and spent at YYZ was 12 bucks for a sandwich and coffee. How does that compare out there for a baseline?

SIR VEYOR
08-14-2018, 06:11 AM
Most I've ever broke down and spent at YYZ was 12 bucks for a sandwich and coffee. How does that compare out there for a baseline?

That’s must have been quite the sandwich. I would typically do Toronto for 9ish or less like that. Timmy’s and McD wins cheapest there. With all the Toronto options such as most fast food joints, prices are pretty close to outside. The lineups are the biggest driving forces there for the lowest cost options.

I think even the deli place in there, Caplansky’s, is less than that. And they are a good quick choice with even heartier “dinners” not badly priced. The to go line is fast, I’ve never bothered with the sit down there. I think the airline food vouchers cover a lot of food from Caplanskys as a guide IIRC...

If it was the right terminal, Mookings place is good, but occasionally slow. And priced above Timmy’s. But food supremely better than this EE place. I’ve found that for longish layovers, decent food really cuts down on my hatred of the system/passengers. I asked when leaving about how the food was done and the waitress at EE said they cook onsite, but freeze it for later. So that makes sure I’ll not get ought but beer there forevermore.

LB303
08-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Caplanskys, that might have been the name of it. Salmon salad on white $8 coffee $2 tax $1.50 ~= 12 bucks for gut truck food, but I was starving.

Doesn't matter where you are, after security you're a captive market. Decent food maybe, but at indecent prices. At least that's what I had last time before catching a 7am flight. A sit-down breakfast at this pub style place after security (McCools maybe?) Just bacon eggs toast & coffee. It was better than cooking and cleaning up at 3am at home. Sixty bucks between three of us. But a relaxed pace to start the long day ahead. There are times when I'm willing to just pay for the convenience without worrying too much about it.

The Tim Hortons that was closest to our gate had no real food, just coffee and donuts. They charge what any other franchise charges for these items, so it made me think there must be a non-compete clause in their lease, because the other tenants would suffer if they were to offer a full menu.

srdiver
08-14-2018, 09:31 PM
personally I would walk down to the single digits (since that was where my rides tended to be ) and hit the horton instead, made the mistake stopping to eat at that EE Bar soon after it opened

SIR VEYOR
08-15-2018, 06:57 AM
personally I would walk down to the single digits (since that was where my rides tended to be ) and hit the horton instead, made the mistake stopping to eat at that EE Bar soon after it opened

I had lots of time, hungrier than usual, and it was by the gate. Fine spot to chill for a while instead of the seats by the gate. Especially with a laptop / paperwork.
Tim’s was hugely backed up as usual most any airport.
The Montana’s There before was never this disappointing. EE sports bar dropped the ball horribly. Wasn’t expecting them to follow the teams performance that closely...

And now I have at least one confirmed “It sucks all the time”. Combined with now knowing a lot of it is just frozen/reheated, no need to go back until someone new is in that spot.

shootemup604
08-16-2018, 09:06 AM
I'm just really disappointed with bars these days. They seem to all be Irish/Celtic or generic millennial themed sports bars and for once I'd like to drink and meet with friends in place that isn't shoving 5 different screens in my face, leprechaun or four leaf clover signs, or trying to serve some weird overpriced Asian fusion ethical gluten-free fish taco with locally foraged greens.

A bar should be an establishment with lots of wood, leather, a brass rail for your foot, a decent selection of booze and a menu of fatty and red meat options.