PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Ban - Easily Accomplished?

CLW .45
08-29-2018, 08:22 PM
Yes, it is!

Why?

Simply because firearms owners have, for at least the last half century, avoided the most important reason for use, carriage, and possession of any firearm - but especially handguns. Protection of life!

It gets worse. A Canadian hunting show refused to do a segment on handgun hunting, a segment that would have significantly increased understanding of the legitimacy of handgun use by the non-gangbanger. Why?

Because they didnít want to take the heat. What heat?

shortandlong
08-29-2018, 08:25 PM
Yep I would have to agree with you .

lone-wolf
08-29-2018, 08:28 PM
What show was this?
I kind of get it, Canada in the Rough and The Canadian Tradition seem to be on very shakey ground with the channels(aside from wildtv) that still host them.
If it's one that's on wildtv only, there's handgun shows already on it, so they are just being ... you know.

Suputin
08-29-2018, 09:47 PM
A handgun ban may be somewhat easy to accomplish. Keeping handguns out of the hands of CDNs will be much more difficult if not impossible.

Once the govt chooses to ban handguns they will lose any semblance of control over handguns in this country as the black market will simply explode.

Suputin
08-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Oh look, a 3D printed Glock frame. So much for banning handguns. :Bang head:

https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/translucent-22-glock/

https://loadoutroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/3d.jpg

lone-wolf
08-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Nice.
I'm awaiting for people to design a new firearm, using 3d printer frames/lowers, and off the shelf components for the rest.
The difference I'm thinking is that maybe you can design it so that the lower sees very little stress compared to current designs.

Maybe that already exists. :confused1:

Suputin
08-30-2018, 12:45 AM
A Glock frame is specifically designed to be plastic. While FDM process does have its potential drawbacks vs injection molding, the same plastics can be used and with careful tuning of the printer, clearly a workable gun can be fairly easily produced on an inexpensive 3D printer.

Currently, CAD skills and software are still needed as I am lead to understand the basic CAD model required some tweaking to get it to the point of being able to accept all the parts and survive live firing. Plastic printing is not the most dimensionally accurate process so clearances need to be adjusted.

Just for S&G's I went and found the very file the guy who made that receiver above began with. It didn't take too long to source those files. #internet #freespeach

NOTE TO ALL OUR GOVT MONITORS: Yes, I have the files and the software and the CAD skills but NO, I am not gonna print myself a Glock, because there is a bunch of CAD work and test printings required to get all the parts to fit and honestly at this time I have better things to do ... not to mention I already have a Glock so don't really need another one. ;D

However, enact a countrywide ban on handguns and I just might reconsider it. :Bang head:

joe6167
08-30-2018, 01:54 AM
A Glock frame is specifically designed to be plastic. While FDM process does have its potential drawbacks vs injection molding, the same plastics can be used and with careful tuning of the printer, clearly a workable gun can be fairly easily produced on an inexpensive 3D printer.

Currently, CAD skills and software are still needed as I am lead to understand the basic CAD model required some tweaking to get it to the point of being able to accept all the parts and survive live firing. Plastic printing is not the most dimensionally accurate process so clearances need to be adjusted.

Just for S&G's I went and found the very file the guy who made that receiver above began with. It didn't take too long to source those files. #internet #freespeach

NOTE TO ALL OUR GOVT MONITORS: Yes, I have the files and the software and the CAD skills but NO, I am not gonna print myself a Glock, because there is a bunch of CAD work and test printings required to get all the parts to fit and honestly at this time I have better things to do ... not to mention I already have a Glock so don't really need another one. ;D

However, enact a countrywide ban on handguns and I just might reconsider it. :Bang head:

It's amazing what kinds of things your mind starts wandering to when the government wakes up one day and tells you "its illegal". It's almost like the government WANTS to create more of the very thing it tries to get rid of.

Imagine if the government passed a law saying that EVERY gun owner would have to complete an 80% lower. Can you just IMAGINE all the whining and complaining???

Marcel
08-30-2018, 04:30 AM
Eff 'em, it isn't going to happen.

shootemup604
08-30-2018, 08:28 AM
The glock factory lowers still have integral metal rails. The gun pictured appears to be a .22 variant - anything else and that slide would fly off after a couple rounds.

Gunrunner
08-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Turned on the news this AM just in time to catch the tail end of a report of another cop being shot and in serious condition in hospital.
Almost a daily occurrence now.
The heavy gun-clueless metrosexual vote density urban centers are getting pretty scared and are looking for a feel good solution, any solution to make their streets safe again.
Trudeaus pollsters are no doubt receiving that message loud and clear.
All it takes is an order in council that can be issued without any reference to Parliament whatsoever.

Buster
08-30-2018, 09:38 AM
If they ban handguns, all that's going to happen is the black market pot growers that the government put out of business are going to get into the gun manufacturing business.

They aren't going to go get jobs. They are going to find other lucrative markets.

Waterloomike
08-30-2018, 09:50 AM
I don't think the black market pot farmers will be put out of business.

That doesn't make the thrust of your argument invalid. The black market will invariably sell more guns and make more money.

There is no prohibition that works. Not even the ones we all agree on.

shootemup604
08-30-2018, 10:01 AM
He has a point. In BC, many drug dealers found that switching to a legal, but regulated product, tobacco, yielded similar returns with significantly less legal risk - importing and selling counterfeit or Asian brands makes big money. The problem is even more present in Ontario with domestically manufactured black market tobacco.

Justice
08-30-2018, 10:15 AM
"...Protection of life!..." Always resulted in a refusal for restricted permits by police policy. Nothing to do with law abiding gun owners. Nothing to do with TV shows either. Nothing to do with Glocks, 3d printer or any other firearm. It's plain and simply unelected civil servants making law by regulation. And successive governments allowing it.
If Junior takes it into his head to ban the private ownership of anything, it's simply done via the Order-in-Council that is supposed to be followed by actual legislation. Issue with that would be the wide spread non-compliance.
"...inexpensive 3D printer..." 'Inexpensive' being a relative term, you still cannot make a barrel that will handle the pressures of any cf pistol cartridge.

Waterloomike
08-30-2018, 10:37 AM
He has a point. In BC, many drug dealers found that switching to a legal, but regulated product, tobacco, yielded similar returns with significantly less legal risk - importing and selling counterfeit or Asian brands makes big money. The problem is even more present in Ontario with domestically manufactured black market tobacco.

I agree he does.

That doesn't make the thrust of your argument invalid. The black market will invariably sell more guns and make more money.

Buster
08-30-2018, 11:12 AM
There is not going to be any money in black market pot anymore. With all the legalization going around it's already become "wholesale corn"

It's worthless. There's no profit to grow it now that there's so few buyers.

Yes there's a lot of smokers and they don't care where they purchase it from, but the black market dealers have legal competition. There is no longer a validated high price associated with the risk factor. The bottom has fallen out of the market, prices have already dropped so low that growers are basically just breaking even. Little to no profit margin.

Couple that with the upcoming legislation... where every bud sold by a retailer is going to have to have a paper trail going back to a government distributor... it will be very difficult for black market pot to enter the legal market and you can bet your bucks all these distribution points are going to be heavily audited.

As will the licenced growing facilities. Every seed, or cutting will have to be accounted for from start to finish. If a plant dies, you aren't going to be allowed to dispose of it without verification. Don't be surprised to see tamper resistant ID bands on every single stem.

Penalties for illegal growing and sales are going to go up, while prices have already been driven to the ground.

It's game over for growing black market dope.

Meanwhile other lucrative markets still exist or may expand.

These guys already have the money, secret facilities and high amperage 3 phase power services perfect for running the the equipment, all they need is the manpower.

I'm not saying this is going to be commonplace but a few black market gun factories have already been caught around the world.

Is there a market in Canada? Maybe not a big one but certainly big enough for even just one shop to keep up with the black market demand.

Point being, this gun ban will not ever have any effect on criminals possessing guns.

If the borders were to close and all our legal guns were taken someone will step up and fill the demand. Not one murder will be prevented.

Stew
08-30-2018, 01:10 PM
The glock factory lowers still have integral metal rails. The gun pictured appears to be a .22 variant - anything else and that slide would fly off after a couple rounds.

it's a .22 conversion for a Glock
http://www.recoilweb.com/zev-technologies-glockworx-glock-22-conversion-part-1-37045.html

Suputin
08-30-2018, 01:41 PM
"
"...inexpensive 3D printer..." 'Inexpensive' being a relative term, you still cannot make a barrel that will handle the pressures of any cf pistol cartridge.

Why would anyone need to 3D print a barrel? The only parts that need to be 3D printed are the bits that are controlled by law ie. the receiver.

shortandlong
08-30-2018, 03:08 PM
"...Protection of life!..." Always resulted in a refusal for restricted permits by police policy. Nothing to do with law abiding gun owners. Nothing to do with TV shows either. Nothing to do with Glocks, 3d printer or any other firearm. It's plain and simply unelected civil servants making law by regulation. And successive governments allowing it.
If Junior takes it into his head to ban the private ownership of anything, it's simply done via the Order-in-Council that is supposed to be followed by actual legislation. Issue with that would be the wide spread non-compliance.
If one has resources , knowledge and will to make everything else , a barrel is not a big jump, there were a lot of stens made in the day , in basement workshops using cartruck axles as stock

Suputin
08-30-2018, 09:51 PM
There is a guy on youtube home making his own rifled barrels. They are crude as hell but they work.

lone-wolf
08-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Let's not forget that even a smoothbore home hardware barrel must be a million times better than a 3d printed barrel, shouldn't be too hard to thread a choke system into it as well if it's for a shotgun.

ESnel
08-30-2018, 10:25 PM
The way it was done,not fast but it works and well with in the realm of a home workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou8nNBn5Cbs

ESnel
08-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Guess rebar will be come a controlled good now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cPjYD59VOA

ESnel
08-30-2018, 10:33 PM
Part 1 of 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPR8Z0eI4E&t=15s

infidel29
08-31-2018, 12:42 PM
There is not going to be any money in black market pot anymore. With all the legalization going around it's already become "wholesale corn"

It's worthless. There's no profit to grow it now that there's so few buyers.

Yes there's a lot of smokers and they don't care where they purchase it from, but the black market dealers have legal competition. There is no longer a validated high price associated with the risk factor. The bottom has fallen out of the market, prices have already dropped so low that growers are basically just breaking even. Little to no profit margin.

Couple that with the upcoming legislation... where every bud sold by a retailer is going to have to have a paper trail going back to a government distributor... it will be very difficult for black market pot to enter the legal market and you can bet your bucks all these distribution points are going to be heavily audited.

As will the licenced growing facilities. Every seed, or cutting will have to be accounted for from start to finish. If a plant dies, you aren't going to be allowed to dispose of it without verification. Don't be surprised to see tamper resistant ID bands on every single stem.

Penalties for illegal growing and sales are going to go up, while prices have already been driven to the ground.

Meanwhile other lucrative markets still exist or may expand.

These guys already have the money, secret facilities and high amperage 3 phase power services perfect for running the the equipment, all they need is the manpower.

I'm not saying this is going to be commonplace but a few black market gun factories have already been caught around the world.

Is there a market in Canada? Maybe not a big one but certainly big enough for even just one shop to keep up with the black market demand.

Point being, this gun ban will not ever have any effect on criminals possessing guns.

If the borders were to close and all our legal guns were taken someone will step up and fill the demand. Not one murder will be prevented.

Actually, there is a rather large market in Montana for Canada pot. They will still grow it, but they'll sell less domestically. Drug producers have no issue with shipping their products to the locales that turn the highest profit.

lone-wolf
08-31-2018, 01:40 PM
Not a chance.
Government prices aren't any cheaper.
Seeds are already readily available and access to them won't change.
People are still going to stick with their known dealers, and a large number offer a to your door delivery.
Some people prefer the peace of mind knowing they're dealing with someone who isn't giving profits to terrorists and corrupt foreign governments.

Grimlock
09-01-2018, 08:59 PM
Not a chance.
People are still going to stick with their known dealers, and a large number offer a to your door delivery.
Some people prefer the peace of mind knowing they're dealing with someone who isn't giving profits to terrorists and corrupt foreign governments.

It is very sad when you can trust your drug dealer more than your government.

Waterloomike
09-01-2018, 09:18 PM
It is very sad when you can trust your drug dealer more than your government.

When have you ever been able to trust a government?

Grimlock
09-02-2018, 07:57 AM
I didn't say it was a new thing.

glockfan
09-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Not a chance.

even more than that, the GVT CAN'T compete against the black market...like in fooking culbec,it's the unionized of the regie des alcool who are goin to handle the sales.....what about it?

well,they command quite high wages,pension plan,salary increases,hollydays,days off,....and so on.

then, since they can't lower their spendings related to the handling of the sales, the GVT must respect a floor price point where they don't loose money.the black market isn't trapp with such considerations. they are able to sell at unseen low prices....and this is what is goin to happen. the stupid rats of the RDA sells at 10 dollar a gram? the black market will sell at 7. they are able to sell under 5 dollars a gram if they need to......

this whole ridiculous decriminalisation is BS ; it's only goin to brings more problems for users,like drug tests and road blocks. before the legalisation you never heard of pot being the reason behind deadly road accidents ; because pot doesn't intoxicate like booze does ; booze gets rid of inhibitions and encourage risky driving.

pot put people in a state of awareness, which instills a strong focus on not getting involved in a road accident.

rottawa is already testing a device (drager 5000) dedicated at measuring the level of pot in the blood stream.the problem is that, this device has been labeled as inaccurate.lots of false positive,as well as false negative results.

however,it's a matter of time before the court accept this device as a credible assessment instrument.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/company-defends-first-device-approved-by-feds-for-roadside-thc-detection-1.4070151

DBenn
09-02-2018, 09:00 PM
even more than that, the GVT CAN'T compete against the black market...like in fooking culbec,it's the unionized of the regie des alcool who are goin to handle the sales.....what about it?

well,they command quite high wages,pension plan,salary increases,hollydays,days off,....and so on.

then, since they can't lower their spendings related to the handling of the sales, the GVT must respect a floor price point where they don't loose money.the black market isn't trapp with such considerations. they are able to sell at unseen low prices....and this is what is goin to happen. the stupid rats of the RDA sells at 10 dollar a gram? the black market will sell at 7. they are able to sell under 5 dollars a gram if they need to......

this whole ridiculous decriminalisation is BS ; it's only goin to brings more problems for users,like drug tests and road blocks. before the legalisation you never heard of pot being the reason behind deadly road accidents ; because pot doesn't intoxicate like booze does ; booze gets rid of inhibitions and encourage risky driving.

pot put people in a state of awareness, which instills a strong focus on not getting involved in a road accident.

rottawa is already testing a device (drager 5000) dedicated at measuring the level of pot in the blood stream.the problem is that, this device has been labeled as inaccurate.lots of false positive,as well as false negative results.

however,it's a matter of time before the court accept this device as a credible assessment instrument.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/company-defends-first-device-approved-by-feds-for-roadside-thc-detection-1.4070151

Ok the boys that I get it from went to school with me and I am 67. They grow for friends only and I will say this I will not drive after a couple of joints. The stuff produced by the grow ops these days is way stronger and blows you away. Unless your like my friend Jimmy and he is a stoner and is as useless as a tit on a bull when he gets stoned on the new stuff but ok on ours.

freep
09-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Affordable 3D metal printing will be coming soon. It's inevitable.

freep
09-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Or get into the smuggling game.

"Social Engineers" don't understand the most basic human law--the law of supply and demand. If there is a demand, there will be a supply no matter what. Try to control the supply and all it does is drive up the price and attract more people into the game. In some countries they stand up against the firing squad wall or behead you for drugs. Hasn't stopped it one bit.

Concentrate on the gangbangers and drugs (the demand) and the supply will vanish.

Suputin
09-03-2018, 10:22 PM

What do you consider "affordable"?

There are already sintered powder systems available to the everyman.

ESnel
09-03-2018, 11:40 PM

Even if 3D printing was not an option,there is CNC machines and failing that there is manual machining and failing that drill press,files etc.

While not a finally finished product one can create a effective weapon.

A prison example
https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_img/50044/1000860347/original/bedpost-shotgun-photo-u2?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg&fit=crop&crop=faces

One of a number of homemade weapons retrieved from German prisons, this ad-hoc shotgun was made from iron bedposts, used gunpowder made of lead from curtain tape and match-heads, and was fired by AA batteries and a broken light bulb. On May 21, 1984, two inmates used it to take a guard hostage, shoot through a bullet-proof glass, bust out of jail and steal a car.

Suputin
09-04-2018, 03:35 PM
IF the feds are dumb enough to actually enact a handgun ban I forsee a run on 22 rimfire conversion kits and 3D printers.

Billythreefeathers
09-04-2018, 05:57 PM
IF the feds are dumb

you do know who your talking about? right,,

glockfan
09-04-2018, 06:16 PM
you do know who your talking about? right,,

the libs won't give a crapp about the results of a ban.it's how they look that really count for this specific bunch of political rats...whenn they will be confronted to the lack of results,and the increase of shootings,the fooking turd will of offer duh's and eug's as answer,and it'll pass like a hot knife in butter for the sold to the lefties medias...

Billythreefeathers
09-05-2018, 05:40 AM
the libs won't give a crapp about the results of a ban.it's how they look that really count for this specific bunch of political rats...whenn they will be confronted to the lack of results,and the increase of shootings,the fooking turd will of offer duh's and eug's as answer,and it'll pass like a hot knife in butter for the sold to the lefties medias...

I'm thinking along the lines of smoke and mirrors,, the same plan justing has for the trans mountain he's applying to every other ministry, 'we're looking closely and consulting with the middle class on this problem' keeps the left voter in line while not pissing the rest of us totally off,, doing nothing is his best play

Waterloomike
09-05-2018, 06:16 AM
I'm thinking along the lines of smoke and mirrors,, the same plan justing has for the trans mountain he's applying to every other ministry, 'we're looking closely and consulting with the middle class on this problem' keeps the left voter in line while not pissing the rest of us totally off,, doing nothing is his best play

It is and he can't even do that right.

It's a sad electorate that intentionally elects the village idiot to the highest office.

glockfan
09-05-2018, 07:52 AM

well,actually,his best play would be telling the truth for a change.like in : ''''''.......after carefull scrutinizings of the '''reasons'''' of such shootings we witness as society right now, we came to the conclusion that penalizing law abiding gun owners would target the wrong people....'''''' ........or something along those lines.

why not playing the unbiased cards for a change? when i say unbiased it means : fuck*** the people who deserves to be rear ended for a change. the anti mad cows of cock-ier and rat-gen, assorted with a little slap on the forehead of the medias who play it with a great demagogy all the time. that way, he could gain some credibility and get riid of this debate,neutralizing the cpc advantage they get with gun owners ,who line up with the cpc..

but well.....we can only dream about common sens in this lieveral country. truth and common sens got lost somewhere along the last generals.

CLW .45
09-05-2018, 11:56 AM
A reminder.

When the seventies C-51 banned automatic weapons, all three major parties supported it.

When the eighties C-17 banned various handguns, all three parties supported it and the PC got clobbered in the next election.

When the nineties C-68 gave us the crap we are living with now, it was supported by members of all parties including Reform, and the Liberals got clobbered in the next election.

1. In each case, the support was across the parties.

2. In each case, parties took a hit for introducing the bill.

3. In each case, parties came back from that hit.

4. In each case, the legislation further eroded the ability to obtain authorization to carry to protect life and made it more difficult to possess to protect life, while firearms owners mostly cowered in the dark because they were afraid to talk about the fact that there is no better reason for the use, carriage, or possession of anything than to do so to protect life.

Those are the common threads running through recent firearms legislative history.

We may not be able to do much about 1 through 3, but we can certainly do something about 4.

Use, carriage, and possession to protect life are still enshrined in law.

We must frame the debate to highlight that fact as a given, and to make clear that the topic for debate is the amount and type of government intrusion that is acceptable.

That it is a question of what criteria are appropriate.

killer kane
09-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Maybe if any of us run into Mad Max we can mention it.

Buster
09-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Actually, there is a rather large market in Montana for Canada pot. They will still grow it, but they'll sell less domestically. Drug producers have no issue with shipping their products to the locales that turn the highest profit.

It's cheaper and easier to get it from next door.

Buster
09-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Not a chance.

Believe me, it's over. Prices are currently in the $750 per pound range. That's half of last years. 30% of 5 years ago.

Large blakmarget places are already shutting down. There's no money. $750 lb leaves very little profit.

Sure some guys will stick it out but 90% are closing shop

lone-wolf
09-06-2018, 09:38 AM
Street prices(grams/ounces) haven't changed around here yet. I'll ask the people buying larger amounts, but the fact they haven't bragged to me about weed being 50% cheaper leaves me skeptical.

Morivond
09-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Just saying this, as a handgun owner, I hope if anything happens they just make them prohibited and all us handgun owners get a new class of prohibited license.

The president of my club says he thinks it's all just talk and pandering, and that nothing will actually happen, because if so, the liberals would loose the election. I hope he's correct.

CLW .45
09-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Just saying this, as a handgun owner, I hope if anything happens they just make them prohibited and all us handgun owners get a new class of prohibited license.

The president of my club says he thinks it's all just talk and pandering, and that nothing will actually happen, because if so, the liberals would loose the election. I hope he's correct.

Anyone who thinks “a new class of prohibited licence” is a good thing, is an idiot!

Morivond
09-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Anyone who thinks “a new class of prohibited licence” is a good thing, is an idiot!

Oh, it is surely not a good thing. However between getting to keep my handguns in my possession, and having them stolen, it is the lesser of two evils. That's what I meant.

As I said though, hopefully my club president is right and nothing actually ends up happening.

glockfan
09-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Oh, it is surely not a good thing. However between getting to keep my handguns in my possession, and having them stolen, it is the lesser of two evils. That's what I meant.

As I said though, hopefully my club president is right and nothing actually ends up happening.

maybe they will realize that NOT doing such ridiculous and WORTHLESS move might pay them lieberals more than we might think.

Two For Sure
09-09-2018, 06:41 AM
The problem from the government's perspective with a new prohibited license means it can't say they've "banned handguns." There would be the same number of handguns in the country as there are now being owned by the same people. The risk of straw man sales and thefts from legal owners remains exactly the same.

Morivond
09-09-2018, 06:58 AM
I'm only 23, if this really goes down though, I could see myself as a grandfather being all like "in my day, we could actually own handguns with the proper license". :p

Doug_M
09-09-2018, 06:59 AM
Your club president is very wrong and part of the problem of why there is so much apathy towards participating in the fight against this. He should be encouraging your club members to write/call MPís and ministers, not telling them it is just political posturing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

glockfan
09-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Your club president is very wrong and part of the problem of why there is so much apathy towards participating in the fight against this. He should be encouraging your club members to write/call MP’s and ministers, not telling them it is just political posturing.

you should see fudd's club presidents and what they have to say about anything tacticool!!!! it's obvious fudds are fudds and are not on our side.they always were,and are still willing to pitch tacticool gun owners under the bus IF that means THEY are saved from the follishness waiting for anything that goes boom.

Morivond
09-09-2018, 07:04 AM
As far as I know, he only said that to me during a private conversation where he and I were the only one's there, before he left, and I was responsible for locking up for the night, because I was the last one to leave.

As far as I know, there was no big meeting or announcement on the subject. I do know that many of the guys are talking about it, and are concerned.

we've recently got a new female member, and she is out looking to buy her first handgun. She's only looking for a .22 so hopefully it won't cost her too much, however, if not long after the friggin libs steal her gun, I'd feel sorry for her, because at least I had a couple years to enjoy handguns.

Suputin
09-09-2018, 10:58 AM

What you will discover is that over time you realize you have a few hundred or few thousand dollars locked up in a safe that never see the light of day and can never be used and are essentially worthless.

The grandfathering scheme was a good idea for the govt. They avoid the epic complaining because "owners get to keep their guns" yet they effectively have rendered those guns worthless and useless. Not a bad plan really. Just sucks to be on the receiving side of it.

There is no good side to a gun ban, regardless of how it is accomplished.

Suputin
09-09-2018, 11:00 AM
I'm only 23, if this really goes down though, I could see myself as a grandfather being all like "in my day, we could actually own handguns with the proper license". :p

I'm a bit more than twice your age and I remember when we took AKs out into the woods because they were completely unrestricted. Same with ARs. Only the short barrelled versions were restricted so nobody had those.

Morivond
09-09-2018, 11:08 AM
I saw a video from 1962 in Toronto where some guy bought a gun in a store, walked out with it unpacked in his hands, and nobody batted an eye.

lone-wolf
09-09-2018, 11:12 AM
I bought a gun in the parking lot of the superstore, packed because it was during the christmas parade.
Walked the uncased gun from his truck to mine.

That was 2 yrs ago lol

Suputin
09-09-2018, 11:15 AM
In the 80's I bought a handgun. The store wrapped it up in paper and I took it on the bus to the pOlice station to have it registered. There was something just surreal about the idiocy of such a system.

About 10 years ago I bought a handgun in the US. I picked it up in a bar and the guy slid it across the counter to me completely in the open. That was fun. :Beer time:

Morivond
09-09-2018, 11:25 AM
When it comes to anything like this, I can see a clear parallel to how in elementary and sometimes even high school, the teacher would punish the entire class for the actions of a single student.

In this case though, the vast majority of us gun owners are adults, like hell, I'm for sure one of the younger people here, and I've already been an adult for 5 years.

Many politicians clearly do not have the same philosophy that I do, because my philosophy has individuality and personal responsibility (meaning that people are responsible for their own and only their own actions) as central aspects. If they did have the same philosophy as me, they would definitely not be considering a blanket ban, effectively punishing the entire class because of a single student.

I must say, while I may be more liberal when it comes to lgbt issues, marijuana, prostitution, etc, etc when it comes to crime and law enforcement, I feel that there should be no wrist slaps and instead that consequences should match the severity of the crime, and I surely feel that is a moral evil to punish anyone else but the person responsible for the crime themselves.

I was watching a live stream from Rod Giltaca from the CCFR and in it he mentioned how a soon retiring RCMP officer told him among many other total truths, that the firearm related charges are the first charges usually to get dropped in hopes of being able to land bigger charges. So basically you can be a criminal and use a firearm(s) in a criminal manner and not get charged for that most of the time.

I also highly doubt anything will actually come of this, I mean Turdo is definitely not the brightest tool in the shed, but I think that even he is not stupid enough to not realize it'd be political suicide for at least one election cycle if not more.

Doug_M
09-09-2018, 12:19 PM
I wish you were right but itís been published a few times now that the Liberals are considering this because they were told by consultants (and a pollster) that they wonít lose seats over this and may even gain a few. It will happen.

Weíre not a cohesive block of 2 million votes. Weíre a fractured group that includes NDP and Liberal voters who would rather vote down those party lines than stand up for fellow gun owners. Unlike the long gun registry that affected every gun owner, this is turning out to be an issue that most PAL (vice RPAL) holders arenít concerned about.

Morivond
09-09-2018, 12:25 PM
In that case, we need to do everything in our power, and keep the pressure on to make sure it doesn't happen.

Doug_M
09-09-2018, 01:27 PM
In that case, we need to do everything in our power, and keep the pressure on to make sure it doesn't happen.

We have been rather busy doing just that. Start at one and work your way to seventeen. http://oneclearvoice.ca

Morivond
09-09-2018, 01:53 PM
I wrote one letter opposing c-51 and c-75 to my liberal MP, however, I just got a standard form response.

I did participate in the campaign, I did have to paste it into my e-mail client, but luckily outlook separated the addresses fine without me needing to remove any commas.

I am generally not political, and I wasn't for the longest time, I am only political when I see clear injustice going on, or when people are encroaching on other's private lives and rights without well reasoned justification.

I see this as encroaching on my private life and rights without well reasoned justification just as much as forcing me to attend church/mosque/synagogue/etc or pay lip service to religion as an atheist would be, also I will not put up with paying the consequences for someone else's actions, as I said before each individual is responsible for their own actions, and their own actions only.

Doug_M
09-09-2018, 02:24 PM
I wrote one letter opposing c-51 and c-75 to my liberal MP, however, I just got a standard form response.

Yup. Everyone is getting standard replies or more commonly no replies at all. At this point it is a numbers game. Showing them how many oppose and continually oppose them. They expect a certain backlash at the beginning but generally people are political lazy and so they hope things quite and die down.

The timing right now is crucial. Decisions are being made. We canít afford to be lazy. Along with emails there is a new site that makes it super easy to print and mail letters. NoGunBanCanada.ca. Iím going to be printing and mailing those once a week.