PDA

View Full Version : Weaver Polar Scope Caps

Blackbear74
11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I've been using Butler Creek flip up scope covers for years, but after breaking my last set, I've decided to give something else a chance. I've noticed that the quality seems to have gone down hill with the last couple of sets. They don't open as far as they use to, and the plastic quality is cheaper by far. My first set that I mounted on my rimfire rifle has lasted 15+ years. Not so with the newer sets. They seem to be weak at the hinge area.

Anyway, I've looked up the Weaver Polar Scope Cap, and would like to give them a try. Two questions; 1. Has anybody used them, seen them, or generally got any comments on them? 2. The only place I have run across them on the interweb that deals them is Brownells, and they won't ship to Canada. Anybody know of another supplier, possibly Canadian that sells them?
http://www.weaveroptics.com/accessories/polar_caps/

JustBen
11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
According to Weaver's website, The Outdoorsman in your city carries them.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/general/dealer_locator.aspx

I can't comment about the covers - I've never used them or seen them. Granted, I've never been looking.

Strewth
11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Brownells won't ship scope covers? The covers are tactical take down tools? Wowsers. I'm glad ITAR is protecting me from protecting my scope.

awndray
11-28-2012, 11:18 AM
It has nothing to do with ITAR. Here's an email I received the time I tried to order Butler Creek caps (they're made by Bushnell Outdoors).

Thank you for your order and your interest in Brownells.

Due to a contractual agreement between Brownells and Bushnell Outdoors, Scope Covers has been canceled from your order. Bushnell Outdoors has requested you contact them directly for your order or contact a distributor in your country.

We do regret the inconvenience caused to you and/or your customers and will process your remaining order.

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please feel free to contact us or the manufacturer.

To this day, I still can't find a local deal who can get me a #14 and a #28 without having apply for a mortgage.

Strewth
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
^Ah so, I see. Contractual obligations. Monty Python Album
Well, that makes it easier to swallow, but it's still silly....or conversely, I wonder why all companies that have distributors up here don't make Brownell's sign a non-extradition treaty?

So as not to be a thread derailer (perish the thought!) are these Weaver Polars the yellow-tinted stretchy caps? I have no first hand experience, but there were two guys at the range that compared them unfavorably with Butler Creek's quality. If I remember, they were in complete agreement: the see-through portion scratched, which was a given, so that was acceptable, and the stretchy part cracked in the cold, but it was quite cold, and they still stayed on, so a pass there; the problem unfortunately was the hinges falling apart...so give them a test flip before purchase, perhaps?

Forbes/Hutton
11-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Read a paper.

Global warming.

The polar caps are melting.

Blackbear74
11-28-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with Brownells and Weaver. It won't let me ship to Canada at checkout. I get a pop-up stating 'Your order contains ORMD and/or Hazardous products that cannot be shipped internationally'. This is a bunch of crap. What a joke when we can't get a protective cover for a hunting rifle scope.

Anyways, the more digging I do into them, the more bad reviews I'm getting about them. Sounds as though the quality maybe even worse than the Butler Creeks.

Strewth
11-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Leupold makes flip caps too....nice fancy aluminum ones. Google the price for a good laugh.

Blackbear74
11-30-2012, 09:31 PM
That is a good laugh. I can go through 4 sets of Butler Creek caps for that price.