PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: UTG/Leepers Tactical EDC Bag - Maxpedition Clone

mlehto
12-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey guys just wanted to share this with you. I got one of these bags from a guy over on EDC forums for a steal, so I couldn't resist. I was gonna actually buy an actual Maxped, or the likes, but when I say this slightly used for $18 shipped I couldn't pass it up.

So anyways I gotta say i am really impressed so far. It has all the features of the name brand stuff, and I guess it lacks in the stitching and material weight, but for my light use I think it is working jus fine. I have had it out hunting on a few days of trekking through thick brush and despite many hangups, and being pulled through thick brush it hasn't shown any signs of failure.

Lots of pockets and room for pretty much anything you could imagine using on a daily basis, and it doesn't seem any corners were cut in regards to the strapping and padding used either.

My only complaint, and this may apply to the original maxped as well, is the zipper pulls were noisy, and rattle a ton. What I did to solve this was cut them all off with some wire cutters, and replace them with some rather cool paracord. ;) They work just as well if not better, but now don't make much if any noise when it's on your hip.

I much prefer this style of bag to a small backpack, as everything is ready to go without having to remove the bag, but removing the bag is super easy as it has a quick release buckle. The buckle and the main compartment buckle seem the same, and are very strong, and work well.

Like one guy says in the video's below, I really don't see the need to spend the extra cash on the Maxped, at least not yet. I was planning on buying the Maxped assuming I was happy with the style, and functionality of this, as this bag was just supposed to be a cheap trial, but for now I have no plans to spend the extra cash on the maxped.

Here is mine:

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/IMG-20121205-00181.jpg

And a couple video's on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4fjsrH1txw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdgM521UCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4KEVeV463w

Camo tung
12-06-2012, 02:24 AM
Short pieces of heat-shrink tubing also cure the noise problem...used that on my hunting pack.

happykal
03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
I still don't know the appropriate name for those type of bags....lets go with satchel or man bag. Any way I was actually looking at getting one. I too don't care for having to take off a pack for any little item I require. I need something to carry, water, snacks, shells, dog food, collapsible dog dish, EMT Gel (for the dog if she cuts her self), first aid, keys, wallet, TP, skinner, small pack hatchet, matches, lighter, calls, BINOs and what ever other kind of junk I can think of throwing in it. lol That looks like a good piece of gear and I don't plan on purchasing a maxped. If I don't care for it then it becomes a diaper bag.

BrotherRockeye
03-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Uummn... that's a purse.

A man purse.

But still a purse.

happykal
03-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Uummn... that's a purse.

A man purse.

But still a purse.

A murse. Like I said it might become a diaper bag. Try and carry one of those and not look like a pansy. Lol

BrotherRockeye
03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Mister if you are man enough, you can carry a diaper bag and a friggin parasol and NO ONE is gonna say a word!

I packed many a diaper bag and changed those shitty arses on the truck seat or the work bench, or on my jacket laid out in the grass... doubt I looked like a pansy...and if I did, nobody was gonna say it lol
Part of bein a REAL man is doin what you need to do regardless of what other people think.

sorry...way off topic...

nice purse :p

happykal
03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Mister if you are man enough, you can carry a diaper bag and a friggin parasol and NO ONE is gonna say a word!

I packed many a diaper bag and changed those shitty arses on the truck seat or the work bench, or on my jacket laid out in the grass... doubt I looked like a pansy...and if I did, nobody was gonna say it lol
Part of bein a REAL man is doin what you need to do regardless of what other people think.

sorry...way off topic...

nice purse :p
Don't apologize, the soap box rant adds some flavour. Lets people know what you're about, has a good perspective on life and just the way things are. And it is a badass purse lol.

Wait parasol? That's where I draw the line.

Strewth
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Not a murse!! Possibles bag:)

I've carried a diaper bag proudly....never a parasol though...

happykal
03-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Not a murse!! Possibles bag:)

I've carried a diaper bag proudly....never a parasol though...

Possibles bag? Never heard of that term. It was listed as a tactical messenger bag.

Strewth
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Possibles bag, for keeping your powder, shot, and maybe some pemmican and rawhide thongs in.....Black powder man-purse;)

http://www.hombreleather.com/images/bags/buffalo_possibles_bag.jpg

BrotherRockeye
03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
no rant, just sayin...

I like the fur purse better btw... ;D

happykal
03-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Sorry i miss labeled it as a rant. more like an encouraging speach. i really have to expand my vocabulary. Just sayin usually follows or begins the most offensive and obscene things you can ever think of saying. Just sayin.

I'm sorry but if I carried a bag with that much fur I'd probably be shot. Either mistaken for game. That's the only reason I don't wear my bomber hat when the orange army arrives. Even though you can get a fur hat with blaze orange on it. I never understood that. One of those wtf moments just sayin

Strewth
03-28-2013, 10:50 AM
I like the fur purse better btw... ;D

Heh, wondered if someone'd catch that...'course, if they're too easy to catch, you might catch something...just the thing to curl up with on a cold winter's night though...

Strewth
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Sorry i miss labeled it as a rant. more like an encouraging speach. i really have to expand my vocabulary. Just sayin usually follows or begins the most offensive and obscene things you can ever think of saying. Just sayin.

I'm sorry but if I carried a bag with that much fur I'd probably be shot. Either mistaken for game. That's the only reason I don't wear my bomber hat when the orange army arrives. Even though you can get a fur hat with blaze orange on it. I never understood that. One of those wtf moments just sayin

(Tries to tread lightly, but it's getting hard;)) I try not to let my bag get that much fur on it either...it gets gamey as well. I've worn " fur possibles bags" as a hat before, but never a blaze orange one...that would be a wtf moment...

happykal
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
(Tries to tread lightly, but it's getting hard;)) I try not to let my bag get that much fur on it either...it gets gamey as well. I've worn " fur possibles bags" as a hat before, but never a blaze orange one...that would be a wtf moment...

Lmfao I'm just going to stop commenting in your furry bag before It gets weird.

BrotherRockeye
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Don't apologize, the soap box rant adds some flavour. Lets people know what you're about, has a good perspective on life and just the way things are. And it is a badass purse lol.

Wait parasol? That's where I draw the line.

wasn't apologizing to you.
was apologizing to the op for going off topic...

BrotherRockeye
03-28-2013, 03:12 PM

You might wanna stop trying to read between the lines of black and white text and take non emotional statements at face value..."rant"..."speech"(you spelled it wrong btw)...where did you get that?

Not sure where you grew up,but your definition of "just sayin" is a lot different than mine.
If we go by your definition then your statement was meant to be insulting...

happykal
03-28-2013, 03:28 PM
You might wanna stop trying to read between the lines of black and white text and take non emotional statements at face value..."rant"..."speech"(you spelled it wrong btw)...where did you get that?

Not sure where you grew up,but your definition of "just sayin" is a lot different than mine.
If we go by your definition then your statement was meant to be insulting...

say hi to your Mom for me when you go upstairs to the bathroom :slap:

I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes. I was joking around people do that. I didn't realize you were the sensitive type. FYI I replied with an Iphone probably why I misspelled speech.

If you must know I grew up in Canada. A lovely Country. If you are wondering where I got my definition of "just sayin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Bakqhn_KAzw#t=22s

I wish you a the best of the weekend. If I happen to get the time off and make the hour drive I'll let my mother you said hello.

Strewth
03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Annnnyhoo, that is a pretty cool bag mlehto, thanks for the review. I don't have one of those one shoulder bags yet, but they do look handier to get in and out of than a backpack.

..... and I like the Just Sayin' patchhttp://www.scarletuser.com/images/smilies/emote_couch.gif

happykal
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
I actually ordered on because of this review. Look forward to trying it out.

BrotherRockeye
03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
was thinking about it and figured it was likely a misunderstanding...
came inside to edit but too late...
sorry don't watch youtube
have a good weekend yourself!
let us know how you like your new purse :p

happykal
03-28-2013, 04:32 PM
was thinking about it and figured it was likely a misunderstanding...
came inside to edit but too late...
sorry don't watch youtube
have a good weekend yourself!
let us know how you like your new purse :p

I'll be sure to let everyone know how my UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag/purse works out. lol

happykal
04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
thank you mlehto. I got my utg bag in yesterday and first impression is wow. this is better quality than i expected. It's awesome. Did a once over to check for manufacture defects and didn't notice anything. As you said zippers are loud. I'll just put heat shrink on em. It's comfortable and hugs your body. Think this'll be my go to day bag. Thanks again for the gear review. I probably wouldn't even have looked at it and just bought the maxpedition. come to thing of it UTG does make some good gear. I have there front sight and mid height riser on my sr22. I also have there "see-thru" receiver scope mount on my type 56 never did get a chance to try it out yet.