PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Spitfire 3X Not Magnified?

Petamocto
11-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Iím out hunting this week, shotgun with a Vortex Spitfire 3X.

I used to have the smaller cheaper 1X, but I got this because I loved my ACOG and wanted something similar.

My problem, however, is that Iíd swear this is still not magnified even though itís supposed to be 3X, which is very confusing.

Iíve sat there staring at numerous things while waiting for a deer to come, scope up, scope down, scope up, scope down, and Iíd swear that things look the same size.

If they are larger, itís barely imperceptible, like 1.2-1.5X, but I honestly wouldnít even give it that much credit.

My TA11 ACOG is 3.5x and I have numerous conventional scopes that go down to 3X or 4X and when you look through those youíre looking at something thatís clearly larger.

Any ideas what it could be? Is this common? I almost think that it may be a knockoff, but I canít undersrand why that would happen for a cheaper brand, and it looks and feels legit (came with box and everything else).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, please. I should have just stuck with the 1X, because I basically have a 1X now thatís more expensive and heavier.

lone-wolf
11-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Something is up if it's not a noticeable difference.

Rory McCanuck
11-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Not to be an ass, but are you sure it's a 3x?
They also make a 1x, perhaps it got switched into another box?

Measure the length of it, if it's 4", it's a 1x, if it's 5 1/2", it's a 3x.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/spitfire_prism_scopes

I notice with my 2-7x, if it's at 2x things almost appear smaller than with the naked eye.
Great for shooting both eyes open though.

Petamocto
11-27-2018, 05:21 PM
Rory,

No hard feelings at all, man, you’re not being an ass.

Yes I’m sure it’s the 3x. I used to have the 1x and I got rid of it to get this.

“3x” is even stamped on the side.

Unless you’re telling me that 3x is a model line and not a magnification amount?

If 3x is a model line and they make a 1x magnification and 3x magnification version, then that would be a dick move on Votex’s part, but at least it would explain the issue.

For your second point, that’s rediculius that your 2x seems smaller than reality. That is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. As I stated, my ACOG is just over 3x and everything is noticeably bigger than reality. My Vortex 1x that I used to have looked normal.

Rory McCanuck
11-27-2018, 08:04 PM
No, I'm reasonably sure that 1x means 1 power and 3x means 3 power magnification, not model numbers.
If not, I'm sure the internet would have raised the hue and cry caling for Vortex's collective heads.

The effect with my scope is weird.
Where I'm hunting right now, I'm looking through oak and poplar bush, with those damn willows underneath.
See a deer in the dark bit, raise the gun, and at 2x nothing is there.
Turn the magnification up to 2.5, and suddenly there's a deer, clear as day.

Now, if that buck would stop hiding behind those 2 oaks and 2 poplars together (twice now, the bugger), and the damn crosshairs would stop wiggling around all over the place, I'd be done hunting this year.
I may have to send the scope back for warranty with those jiggly crosshairs.
Only seems to happen when there's a buck in them, does they're steady as could be...

Back to the subject at hand, have you ever looked at their flip over magnifier?
Sits inline with everything, but flips off to the side when you don't want it.
Seems like a nice option for tight dark places.

Hidyn
11-29-2018, 06:00 PM
It sucks but you might have to take it off and look through it under more controlled circumstances. Try setting it on the kitchen table, resting your head where you can see something, and slide the sight back and forth into your field of vision. If you hold super still and keep your focus on the object and it doesn't appear to change at all, then maybe they assembled it with the incorrect lense or case?

Can you send it in to vortex?

Petamocto
11-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Can you send it in to vortex?

I’m definitely going to. Stopping at Cabela’s and Bass Pro tomorrow to see if they have a new one I can look through.

Petamocto
12-01-2018, 06:57 AM
I confirmed that it’s not just mine, but all of them.

I went to Cabela’s and looked at their new one, and it was the same issue.

Looking through other 2-7x scopes at the lowest setting was noticeably more magnified than looking through the “3x” Spitfire.

I asked other people there including the guy behind the counter to see if they had the same experience, and they all agreed that there was no way it was actually magnified 3x, and not even as magnified as other scopes on 2x.

lone-wolf
12-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Well, I was thinking about getting one, not anymore.

Petamocto
12-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Well, I was thinking about getting one, not anymore.

Don’t take my word on it, just know what to look for the next time you’re able to test it side-by-side with something else that’s 3x.

If you do take my word on it, just buy their 1x because that optic was great. Cabela’s still has them on sale through tomorrow for $200 and it’s fine as-is.

Stew
12-01-2018, 02:01 PM
does changing eye relief make any difference ?

Grizz Axxemann
12-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Burris>Vortex. Warranty just as good. Burris does make a 3x prism.

linung
12-02-2018, 12:47 PM
I just ordered the Sparc II on sale at Cabelas for $199.

Should I be worried?

Petamocto
12-02-2018, 01:33 PM
does changing eye relief make any difference ?

No.

I just ordered the Sparc II on sale at Cabelas for $199.

Should I be worried?

No, the little 1x one was fine. That's what I bought first and liked it enough to want the 3x. You'll be happy with the 1x.

lone-wolf
12-02-2018, 01:38 PM
Donít take my word on it, just know what to look for the next time youíre able to test it side-by-side with something else thatís 3x.

If you do take my word on it, just buy their 1x because that optic was great. Cabelaís still has them on sale through tomorrow for $200 and itís fine as-is.

Was it at the moncton bass pro you were looking at them?

Petamocto
12-02-2018, 02:02 PM
No, Toronto on my way back to the airport to fly to Fred.

Dewey Cox
12-02-2018, 02:19 PM
What's the rest of your setup, and what were you hunting for?
I seldom see scopes on shot guns out here (basically never) and sometimes wonder if I'm missing out.

Petamocto
12-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Dewey, I would not recommend this scope at all, not just for the magnification issue, but for many others.

It was very quick to fog up, even after I put Rain-X on it. The black ring was way too thick and it is not as good as many other optics I’ve used.

Not just the ACOG (which is better in every possible way), but even the Leupold conventional American scope on sale at Cabela’s was better.

I had it on top of a mix and match Benelli SuperNova. I have the tactical receiver with the longer barrel from the conventional gun, but I’m selling both SuperNovas in order to get one Weatherby PA-459.

The SuperNova is a big beefy 3.5” gun that is good for eating up recoil for goose hunting and multiple shots, but it’s too heavy to bush bash and deer hunt.

Dewey Cox
12-02-2018, 05:31 PM
What is the benefit of a scope for shooting geese? Is it an eye focus issue or something?
I'm not being critical, I've just never seen it done before.
The issues you mention are the kind of reasons I'd just stick with a bead, but I've never tried it, so I wont knock it.

Stew
12-02-2018, 06:09 PM
have you approached Vortex with your concerns ?