PDA

View Full Version : Leapers scopes

goosesniper
12-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Has anyone ever used a leapers scope. Looking for a budget scope that is pretty decent. Reading mixed reviews on them. Will be putting it on a remi 308. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 B.M.G.
12-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Has anyone ever used a leapers scope. Looking for a budget scope that is pretty decent. Reading mixed reviews on them. Will be putting it on a remi 308. Thanks.

They are about the cheapest crap on the market. Are you looking to hit a target or just make noise? Seriously spend a few hundred $$ and get something that actually works.

kennymo
12-12-2018, 02:59 PM
I’ve used Bushnell as my ‘budget’ scope brand for years. Avoid their real bottom of the line stuff and you get a reasonably durable scope at a reasonable price. Good enough for the majority of deer hunting. Think I’ve got a Trophy XP 3-9x40 on the muzzle loader still. It’s held zero for years now on 110 grains of Blackhorn powder and 240-250 grain projectiles.

The off brand stuff I’ve tried out has been pretty hit and miss. I’ve got an illuminated Scorpion 1-4x on my 45/70 that’s doing well, but that one runs around the $300 mark. Not sure if their cheaper lines hold up as well.

Just a quick gander, but the Leapers brand products look an awful lot like Barska brand products. I’m not 100% sure, but a lot of these cheaper brands all come from the same factory in China and get stamped with whichever ‘brand name’ paid for that particular lot.

Rory McCanuck
12-12-2018, 05:02 PM
You don't have to spend a lot to get a decent scope, but spend enough to get a decent scope.
Bushnell, Nikon, and Vortex all have decent scopes in the $200-250 range, and if you're patient, they'll come on sale in the $150-180 range.
One of the Leupolds comes on sale in the $200 range too, probably not a bad option.
I've looked at a couple of the Scorpion branded ones, and they sure seem nice, but I have no experience with them.

I don't know of anyone that has ever said 'Gee, I wish I hadn't spent the extra money on this scope. The money would have been better spent on a box of beer.'
I can think of a few guys that have said, 'Why didn't I spend a few extra bucks to get a real scope instead of this POS?'

lone-wolf
12-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Nikon prostaff 5, & leupold vx1(or freedom line now?) lines are my budget starters. That is after some simmons and vortex diamondbacks being the initial budget scopes I tried.
If you are hunting with that rifle, you could be shooting from various positions, and the short comings of cheap scopes will be amplified(bad eye relief, unforgiving eye box, poor light)

Hidyn
12-12-2018, 07:13 PM
I put a utg bugbuster on a takedown 10/22 because it fit the bill for what I needed spec wise.

I would never recommend that to anyone, ever. It works as a quick detach red dot, with some holdover marks. However those marks aren't useful outside of very rough estimations, and the turret adjustments dont correspond to any measurement whatsoever.

It had rave reviews online, but it's barely useful on a .22, and I wouldn't even contemplate putting it on anything where ammo was either more expensive or hitting your target was critical.

Buy a scope or dot you know you can trust!

goosesniper
12-13-2018, 06:08 AM
Well your comments say it all. Thanks for the advice everyone. Im de-sold.
I absolutely believe the more money you pay, generally the better the product. That being said I have a rifle that came with a scope. Its a Bushnel Banner I believe. Its a cheap scope but the optics are clear. Great vision in low light, holds zero and The rifle and scope have taken its fair share of knocks. Its fog proof , shock proof and nitrogen filled. For the amount I shoot. What would be the benefits of putting on an expensive scope? Considering from a rest I can shoot all day long and hit the same bullet hole at two hundred yards.

Dmay
12-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Considering from a rest I can shoot all day long and hit the same bullet hole at two hundred yards.

And you're on here asking us for advise? You should be mentoring....

Mark-II
12-13-2018, 09:59 AM
I like the VX-1/Freedom myself (the VX freedom no longer comes with lens covers, though, the chiselers..). I've only used the rimfire ones, and they are one of the few that I can focus properly, without either target or cross hairs fuzzing out.

Admittedly I tend to go Vortex on the bigger rifles, but have done Bushnell AR series, and the odd Burris or Nikon.

Rory McCanuck
12-13-2018, 04:47 PM
And I see that Cabelas has a couple on sale.
Nikon Prostaff for $180 and the Vortex Crossfore II for $200.
I thought the Nikon was a touch clearer, but there isn't much for difference.
These aren't high-end scopes, but they're pretty nice for the price.

goosesniper
12-14-2018, 06:53 AM
And I see that Cabelas has a couple on sale.
Nikon Prostaff for $180 and the Vortex Crossfore II for $200.
I thought the Nikon was a touch clearer, but there isn't much for difference.
These aren't high-end scopes, but they're pretty nice for the price.

These are perhaps the ones Iím gonna decide on.

goosesniper
12-15-2018, 07:29 AM
I ended up buying the Vortex Crossfire11 3x9c50. Regular 289.00. In sale cabelas free delivery for 199.00 + tax. Gonna be a great addition to my new 308.

RobSmith
12-15-2018, 07:35 AM
You get what you pay for. Wouldn't use it for any serious work but for the casual hunter who isn't going to beat it up with large volumes of shooting, or for use on a rimfire rifle they are quite serviceable.

Hidyn
12-15-2018, 05:36 PM
I have both Nikon and Vortex scopes. They've both been great!