PDA

View Full Version : Scope for 17HMR

Marcus
12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Iíve just acquired a Savage BVSS fluted 17HMR Special Edition and it will need a scope and sling.
This rifle will be used for varmints, small game hunting and plinking. I donít expect to shoot past a 200 yard range. I wear bi-focals, a real PITA even just with every day living!
Our forests here on the west coast can be dark/low light throughout the day never mind dawn & dusk time so one criteria will be illumination. Red dot or illuminated reticule? The other will be price. Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon, etc are pricey because of their brand name firstly and then by reputation for quality (it could be vice versa but you know what I mean) but I donít feel like paying extra for that part when quality is something that can be found inexpensively as well.
My max price range would be $400 (almost the price of the gun). Reasonable?

Donít see much info on slings Ė comfort, ease, versatility, etc. Any opinions or recommendations?
Thanks

Prairie Dog
12-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Mueller makes a good product. I have their optics on my AR and am quite pleased. White Falls is good to deal with as well.

http://www.whitefalls.ca/Descriptions/3-9x40%20sport%20dot.html

Marcus
12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Prairie Dog. That sounds like just the ticket especially that review from an older gentleman that has tired eyes just like mine.
Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Cheers

Prairie Dog
12-13-2012, 02:17 PM
You're very welcome.