PDA

View Full Version : So I put myself on the waitlist...

YukonLeftie
12-13-2012, 01:45 AM
For this little gem.

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/details/5292/Ruger-SR1911-45-ACP-Stainless-with-Novak-Sights.aspx

She'll be my first handgun; though I do have plenty of experience shooting .45ACP. The crew at Wolverine figures not till sometime after the new year and there is a bit of a waitlist - which is fine as I need to scrape up the $ for the thing.

Im curious - anyone have any experience with this particular Ruger; and if so What can I expect? The vids I have seen on a coupla YT channels were rather glowing.

CanuckWR
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Its a Ruger, its probably going to be a winner. A good review will be in order once it makes it to you.

YukonLeftie
12-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Damn skippy! Ill see about having my tech-literate sister help me make a vid. Price is pretty damn good too; if its as good as I have heard promised to date.

50calshooter
12-14-2012, 12:11 AM
These are getting good reviews all around, an excellent choice for sure! Be sure to follow up here with a range report once you eventually get her out to the range...

riderrick
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
just waiting for my cert so i can take it shooting

sDot
12-14-2012, 12:27 PM
How long is the wait on this?

riderrick
12-14-2012, 03:20 PM
mailman delivered cert today range on sunday...only 10 days to get cert after picked up the gun

Skeetgunner
12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice toy. The ones I've seen on the range are well made and quite accurate.

Garetsu
12-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I went to Target Sports yesterday, I was dying to try out a few pistols so I could finally decide on if I wanted to save up for a handgun yet.... I learned 2 things. 1) I don't like .38 Special (.357 was way more fun!) and 2) I bloody-well LOVE the 1911.

I was worried about trying a .45, such a massive round when you compare it to a 9mm, but it was nice! I'm hooked. The recoil was so much lighter then what I expected! I'll post a video once I rip it off my phone, you can see me pinch my hand when putting a mag in, hahaha!

riderrick
12-19-2012, 04:46 PM
well took a new shooter out with me so didnt get a lot of time with the sr1911. out of the box shot like a dream nice feel all around. cant wait to get out by myself so i can really give it a work out.

GeoTrekr
12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
My first auto was a CZ 85 Combat with tuned trigger (upgraded hammer) in 9mm, which I can write my name with in the target. I thought it couldn't get any better until my SR1911 showed up, which I can shoot even more accurately with. It's everything Ruger usually is - quality in all the right places, a little overbuilt, and built in the good ol' USA by skilled craftsmen. You will not be disappointed - likely just the opposite!

YukonLeftie
12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Good news (and a surprise!) For me - Wolverine called and said it showed up, VERY early. I was about to say, well, given the time of year maybe put me back on the waitlist - then the fellow told me that Ruger is backordered by over 800,000 units. Yowtch. So I scrounged up enough to give him the down payment.

Looks like ill have it sooner than expected. Sweeeeeeet. Now to figure out what goes when and where...

CanuckWR
12-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Good news (and a surprise!) For me - Wolverine called and said it showed up, VERY early. I was about to say, well, given the time of year maybe put me back on the waitlist - then the fellow told me that Ruger is backordered by over 800,000 units. Yowtch. So I scrounged up enough to give him the down payment.

Looks like ill have it sooner than expected. Sweeeeeeet. Now to figure out what goes when and where...

Ya, YOU lucked out huge! Thats awesome, pics or it didn't happen...

YukonLeftie
12-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Yea I kinda gathered the way the fellow talked when I suggested I might go back on the waitlist; I kinda got the impression he was mentally sizing me up for a straight jacket if I did. SO I made some room on my credit card. LOL

YukonLeftie
01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Update - she's paid for; now waiting approval for transfer --- however long that takes...

YukonLeftie
01-21-2013, 07:57 PM
And thats one week down, who knows how many more to go... I will drop an email to Wolverine on Friday; see if theyve heard anything.

riderrick
01-21-2013, 10:57 PM
my local guy had 2 last wed although he is asking 799

Strewth
01-21-2013, 11:04 PM
And thats one week down, who knows how many more to go... I will drop an email to Wolverine on Friday; see if theyve heard anything.

You go through the BC CFO, right? I'll race you, I'm waiting for a pistol from Wolverine, and it's been in the CFO's hands for about a week too...

YukonLeftie
01-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Apparently, the Yukon's permits go through the BC CFO, yes. So we shall see, wont we?

Though, I have to ask - we have some form of Firearms Officer up here; Ive personally met the guy - why the Hades do ATTs need to go to BC? I dont get it.

Strewth
01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Because we suck and they hate us.

Orrrrr, the CFO's have a minimum budget that the Yukon couldn't hope to justify, so they let BC do all the transfers,, but BC doesn't get any more funding for it(consequently all backed up), and the Yukon CFO money just disappears back into General Revenue. Wild guess, hope I'm wrong.

Matt_MG
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
I have one of those, you'll love it.

YukonLeftie
01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Im hoping and expecting so!

Week 2.....

YukonLeftie
01-31-2013, 01:05 AM
UPDATE --
So I got an email from Canada Post - the Ruger is in. HOWEVER. Seems, because I had it sent to my mailbox, I have to get a short term ATT to pick it up.

WHAT
THE
F***?

Strewth
01-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Odd.... Who is requesting the STATT, and how did they know what's in your parcel?

YukonLeftie
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
That is what I was advised by a 'buddy' of mine; tho i half think he's yankin my chain.

Prairie Dog
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
That is what I was advised by a 'buddy' of mine; tho i half think he's yankin my chain.

If you follow the letter of the law yes you will require a STATT. But as Strewth mentioned, if you don't know what's in the package.........

Strewth
01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Ahhh. This is a debate that may never be resolved, as it has to do with Canadian firearms law: murky at best.

The more rebellious will tell you that there is no need for an ATT, as you don't "know" there is a firearm in the package, and to prove it safe for transport, you would have to open the package at the post office, and apply a trigger lock, causing chaos...I believe there was a call put in to the...Saskatchewan? CFO's office and they said pick it up and take it home unopened, done.
Others will say the above is illegal, and that you do indeed know there is a firearm in the package, and that a STATT is required to transport a firearm without the registration certificate...although no one's come up with a way to trigger lock it, the "safest" idea put forward is to put the unopened package in a locked container.
My post office is two minutes from my house, on the way to my range, and the firearm that may or may not exist is registered to me, even without the paperwork. I don't drive like a maniac, and why would I consent to a search of my vehicle? Having said that, an ATT costs nothing, and then you are completely covered in the event of theft or a car accident.
Best bet, call your CFO, see what he says.

YukonLeftie
01-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Oi bloody vey. So, went to the Yukon CFO office - sign on the door stating he's gone for the weekend. Called the # on the door - got the Alberta CFO office. Explained to them the story; they said no problem, emailed me my ST ATT and transfer - and advised me I cannot take it to the range until the reg papers arrive. So, ill get it tonite after work.

What a blasted gong show.

Aaannnd oi. The mobile alert I got from Canada Post was that Wolverine had SENT the item - not that it was in my mailbox. Smooth move dumbass. So, it should be in around the 11th. >.>

sask_flatlander
02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Saskatoon gunworks has a ruger 1911 45 at there store I want in the worst way. I love the 45 1911 look and feel. Oh to be single and rich again. Well not rich rich but it was nice at one time to just walk into a store and say hmmm I will take that and that and that. Now its groceries clothes and other expenses for me the wife the daughter and boy:D. such is life.

YukonLeftie
02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Well lookie what I got.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377582_10151540968255676_1486017768_n.jpg

After a long wait, almost a month; shes finally here. Included from Ruger is the pistol, one mag, a pistol lock with 2 keys, owners manual and other documentation, and a soft case for the Ruger. Surprisingly; the owners manual lists a wrench for stripdown as included - mine did not have it. However, stripdown can be done without the tool. To start with, the safety, mag release, and slide stop actions are all on the left side of the pistol - something I, as a leftie, adore right off the bat; allowing me to work the firearm easily one handed. the extended safety is in fact big enough that i can work with the side of my index finger with no real trouble or thought; but not so large that my hand might accidentally bump it into safety. Ill note that I am an auto mechanic by trade so my hands are likely a bit stronger than average.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/529569_10151540950590676_1762496773_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536235_10151540951655676_1472786914_n.jpg

Speaking of the mag, its a slightly extended, rubber trimmed 8 round unit. It did have a warning label on it that started peeling after only a couple of cyclings; I cleaned it off. The mag release button is nice, stiff, and even for a southpaw like me is well out of the way from accidental ejections.; but perfectly placed for a fast dump.

With the grip safety, I almost think the spring to be a bit weak if anything. I have heard guys complain that it sometimes prevents one from firing; but for me my hands are so big anyway that such simply isnt a concern. Further, the beavertail extends quite a ways up to protect the hand from the actioning slide; a nice feature. The slide catch is crisp, but can be worked with one finger with no trouble. The hammer can be 'relaxed' or brought down without firing, but is a bit of a trick one handed. the trigger itself does have a bit (1/16" ish) of takeup to firing. Further, the visual inspection port up top is a neat touch to quickly safety the pistol.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/485222_10151540956100676_982440441_n.jpg

Finally, the sites are the white on black three dot setup on square cut sights.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/529852_10151540956445676_420941868_n.jpg

Now, I have to wait for the blasted registration to show up before I can take this little sweetheart out for a run...

sDot
02-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Nice gun, definitely jealous man. Hope you enjoy!

jdman
02-09-2013, 11:24 PM
can am has these in stock

YukonLeftie
02-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Well Im quite in love with this little gem. Practicing field stripping on it; see how good I can get at it.