PDA

View Full Version : Tannerite from Bass Pro??

Mass-effect
12-23-2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.basspro.com/Zombie-Industries-Zomboom!-Exploding-Rifle-Targets/product/1206210431322/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I was led to believe that this stuff is illegal to mix and use as an explosive in canada. It says to check loal authorities, but in a thuroughly debated thread on another forum, evidence was brought forth that since the regulations are mostly under the Explosives classification, its a federal policy. So where is it legal to use this stuff, if it is at all. And if not, how does Bass Pro sell it? (im assuming it sells well too because it has zombie in the title....)

Any thoughts? Any first or second hand experience with using this stuff?

awndray
12-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Well, for starters, it's primarily made with ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder, among a few others chemicals.

The Canadian government passed tight regulations on the storage and sale of ammonium nitrate in February 2008. The rules require, among other things, that all storage areas be locked down when nobody's working in them, that a seller inform local police of all their storage areas, and that the seller conduct weekly checks to make sure their supply hasn't been tampered with.

Anyone purchasing the chemical has to show ID or a special licence and cannot buy more than is proportional to their needs. The seller has to record the buyer's info and must deny them the chemical where there's reason to believe it will be used for a crime.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/06/09/f-faq-ammonium-nitrate.html

Mass-effect
12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
So I can shoot this on the property I shoot my NRs on?

lone-wolf
12-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Isn't that the american site? Or did you see it in store?

Strewth
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Drache on CGN that called the Chief Inspector of Explosives at NRCAN for an official "Heck No!"; that's an American site with a disclaimer about only shipping to the lower 48 you're looking at.

Sorry to burst your bubble. How about a plastic bag filled with ketchup and a lettuce head on a zombie target?

Mass-effect
12-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Ah indeed it is the American site. That makes much more sense. I have no interest in zombie stuff anyways, but it would be fun to shoot exploding targets. O well, nothing I cant live without :)

Strewth
12-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Exploding like a 1lb propane bottle with a road flare taped to it?

Mass-effect
12-23-2012, 11:16 PM
loud and clear ;) lol

lone-wolf
12-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Exploding like a 1lb propane bottle with a road flare taped to it?

From my limited experience I would say it wouldn't explode at all. Hypothetically speaking, one of the BBQ sized ones did nothing until I guess the air mixture was right and by then it was well ventilated and just went whoosh. Didn't have a road flare taped on it though.

blacksmithden
12-23-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd love to tell you how I know this is true. I can say, with 100% certainty, that if you put a 1lb propane cylinder in a large camp fire...wait until the pressure relief valve is blowing off...then shoot it with a 22...it WILL make a fairly large fireball and the cylinder will go flying. I can also tell you with 100% certainty that the very hot, flying cylinder has an almost magnetic attraction to camera tripods, and guys named Jon. :D

lone-wolf
12-23-2012, 11:37 PM
lol!

Drache
12-23-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Drache on CGN that called the Chief Inspector of Explosives at NRCAN for an official "Heck No!"; that's an American site with a disclaimer about only shipping to the lower 48 you're looking at.

http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?145-Truth-about-Tannerite

Strewth
12-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Found this on Youtube:
This is exactly what might happen if you were to shoot said 1lber @ 100 yds with a 300wsm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tJJf_fMkjPU

Mass-effect
12-24-2012, 07:42 AM
thanks everyone!

Camo tung
12-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd love to tell you how I know this is true. I can say, with 100% certainty, that if you put a 1lb propane cylinder in a large camp fire...wait until the pressure relief valve is blowing off...then shoot it with a 22...it WILL make a fairly large fireball and the cylinder will go flying. I can also tell you with 100% certainty that the very hot, flying cylinder has an almost magnetic attraction to camera tripods, and guys named Jon. :D

Scientific research proving/disproving theories! Who dare call us rednecks!?!

FALover
03-03-2013, 07:12 PM
good lord folks. i have been shooting these 'reactive' targets for years. i worked collecting trash before the onset of recycling and hazardous waste days. i would save propane canisters from torches, spray paint cans and take them to a local gravel pit. group them all around a couple of road flares and stand back. propane burns clean so good flame but paint cans ,well they just take off and great smoke trails. keep well away from anything that you do not want to set on fire. and spinners, they are the ones that get hit just right that they spin wherever you run to. would like to sacrifice a 20 lb. bottle but i am to close to c.f.b.borden that it might cause a ruccus.:shoot2:

sDot
03-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Found this on Youtube:
This is exactly what might happen if you were to shoot said 1lber @ 100 yds with a 300wsm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tJJf_fMkjPU

Needs more shock and awe.

Blindeyes
03-03-2013, 11:10 PM
I heard it can be made with the contents of a instant cold pack bought in the pharmacy section for body pain relief, and by adding aluminum powder and mixing it together well. Don't know for sure just heard never tried, so if you try do so at your own risk.

sDot
03-03-2013, 11:28 PM
I heard it can be made with the contents of a instant cold pack bought in the pharmacy section for body pain relief, and by adding aluminum powder and mixing it together well. Don't know for sure just heard never tried, so if you try do so at your own risk.

Not going to take chemical mixing advise from a guy named 'blindeyes'. Seems risky..

YukonLeftie
03-03-2013, 11:37 PM
I worked at an automotive shop, a good decade plus ago, that had acquired the land beside it. it was a large property, abandoned house, treed in, the works. After the new owner bulldozed it all into a pile, he got the permit to burn it. Well, that pile was about 60' across and a good 20' high. Oddly, random shop objects and chemicals suddenly found themselves being disposed of in the fire; so much so the flames reached well over 400' in height. It actually got to the point where the fire dept showed up, just to keep tabs on things. The loudest bangmakers though?

Cans of beans. I kid you not. Of all the, ahem, random shop objects, it was ordinary cans of brown beans tossed in that made the loudest bang. And I DO mean LOUD. Beans Everywhere!!!

lone-wolf
03-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm surprised they allowed you to start to burn such a thing without the dept present.

I like throwing the small pellet gun c02 cartridges in a fire, fun.

YukonLeftie
03-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Like I said, more than a decade ago, in a very rural community, everyone knew everyone, and things were gotten away with, shall we say. LOL

Kromm
03-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Take a pumpkin or other gourd, fill it with water and hit it with a slug or heavy rifle round to get a nice demonstration of hydrostatic shock.

It vaporizes nicely and best of all, the woodland creatures clean it up.

Grain
03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Great thread :cool1:

Laramie Longhorn
03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Can of pop and a 32g v-max from my .204. Turned the can inside out. Cool noise too.

Grain
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
When I was a kid, our local boys club got to go help & watch one of the adults blow up a rock in one of his fields. Rock was the size of a grand piano. Used two sticks of dynamite. Chunks the size of basketballs were sent close to 100' in the air. Really, really cool... When it was over, he gave a friend and I 20' of fuse. We put that to good use :cool: