PDA

View Full Version : Benelli MR1 VS Robinson Armaments XCRL

Grain
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Looking for some first hand advice on these two rifles. I'm looking for a non-restricted 223/5.56 that takes AR mags. I've read some pro's and cons: the MR1 isn't accurate, trouble mounting scopes in manner that is user friendly. The XCR isn't reliable is really the only issue I've read, perhaps that's the early models? Would really appreciate some first hand advice, or some other readily available NR rifle.

tommycanada
12-29-2012, 08:05 AM
the XCR first gen models had some fastner issues, this is no more.. the XCR's run flawlessly and are reliable as anything you could put up against it... Plus, you can get quick change caliber conversions in 7.62x39, 6.8SPC, 5.45x39, when I say quick change, I mean in takes about 1 minute. Plus, it has all the rail space you could possibly need to mount anything your little heart desires!
The MR1 is a great rifle. relatively accurate and plenty reliable. No rail space. no threaded barrel. Barrel is pencil thin, but super strong. very robust. My issue with it is, I simply cant get over how much I really cant stand the way it looks...
I was in the same boat, searching for a non res. semi auto that takes AR mags... choices are:
XCR-L
MR1
Tavor
SU-16
VZ58 in .223 with AR mag adapter
pending on your budget, in the non res. AR mag category, id go with either the XCR, TAVOR or MR1... They each have pros and cons, but are all more reliable than you'll ever need them to be...

Satain
12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
the XCR first gen models had some fastner issues, this is no more.. the XCR's run flawlessly and are reliable as anything you could put up against it... Plus, you can get quick change caliber conversions in 7.62x39, 6.8SPC, 5.45x39, when I say quick change, I mean in takes about 1 minute. Plus, it has all the rail space you could possibly need to mount anything your little heart desires!
The MR1 is a great rifle. relatively accurate and plenty reliable. No rail space. no threaded barrel. Barrel is pencil thin, but super strong. very robust. My issue with it is, I simply cant get over how much I really cant stand the way it looks...
I was in the same boat, searching for a non res. semi auto that takes AR mags... choices are:
XCR-L
MR1
Tavor
SU-16
VZ58 in .223 with AR mag adapter
pending on your budget, in the non res. AR mag category, id go with either the XCR, TAVOR or MR1... They each have pros and cons, but are all more reliable than you'll ever need them to be...
Good points but the Benelli is way more accurate.

Grain
12-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks Gents. Leaning towards the MR1, I am a bit of a Benelli fan. I've heard they are a little pickier with mags, any tips on which work the best?

Neil Burke
12-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I've shot the MR1 a few times, but no hands on with an XCR-L. The mag release is in an awkward spot unless you're used to ejecting the mag with your thumb. (eg a lefty using an AR) It also heats up a lot under sustained firing. It seems to be more of a hunting rifle than a range rifle, imo. LAR-15 mags worked in the mr1.

Ben
12-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Grain - would you be purchasing either of these rifles sight unseen? Or have your shouldered both already?

I'm asking as when I shouldered the MR1 I couldn't get over how bad it fit me, very much like an O/U shotgun just would be a perfect it or not.

The fixed A2 style / fixed buttstock won't help that. The foreend was so-so as well.

Something to keep in mind.

Grain
12-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Grain - would you be purchasing either of these rifles sight unseen? Or have your shouldered both already? I'm asking as when I shouldered the MR1 I couldn't get over how bad it fit me, very much like an O/U shotgun just would be a perfect it or not. The fixed A2 style / fixed buttstock won't help that. The foreend was so-so as well. Something to keep in mind.

Ben, quite likely will buy unseen and unheld, ie probably be an internet purchase. Limited by who has them in stock (at least for the XCR), and where. Won't be buying for about 2 weeks, so I've got time to do some more investigating/research. Thats part of the fun, at least for me. Will likely change my mind a few times in the next few days, lol.

Asphalt Cowboy
01-08-2013, 02:10 AM
hopefully merged with the other thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMOGnJz-TMs

Asphalt Cowboy
01-08-2013, 02:32 AM
sorry my bad just saw the other thread re this ..please combine mods

Asphalt Cowboy
01-08-2013, 02:37 AM
It took a bit to get used to the thumb / finger mag release but ounce you got the hang of it it was sweet , the ergonomics is what really got me on this one, I expect it to shoot the same under 300 yards, all though I did find it a tad on the heavy side but that was without a sling , when you drop it down for mag changes your shoulder should probably take most of the weight,

"Oh and did somebody say change that barrel in 5 seconds ??" thought so LOL and as a Beneli owner in the shot gun side of things I do have a sweet spot for the MR1 ... and I should like it right ?? problem is its ugly doesn't have any real rail capicity ,, it looks just like a modern time CZ or AK really .. this is 2013 people want futuristic PS3 Game type hardware .. that's the market place afterall isn't it ..just listen to what Nutnfancy has to say about the Robar XCR-L in his shot show latest vid shall we ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMOGnJz-TMs

or from Failia from a chicks point of view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnVkNYIias

now other than the part that the Numpty in this video couldn't rack a mag was the only problem with this video ... yardage plus gong was pretty consistant .. coming from the said participant if ya know what I mean ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJCTy8QxYc

now then is that a manufacture flaw . or just scooter that never ate his wheaties that morning and couldn't quite stuff that mag home he he
and all that in 4 different calibers in a heart beat .. WOW

Smart man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLguOZ-Oxik

"We'll Take Six !"

Grain
01-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks Asphalt Cowboy. The XCR seems to have its bugs worked out with newer models. The biggest negative for me about the MR1 seems to be nobody likes its looks (I personally don't mind its appearance), which seems to hurt its resale. Have seen lightly used ones for $1000, which is a big drop in value. I've warmed up considerably to the XCR-L, and may pull the trigger on it shortly.

Xtreme
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I've been considering the XCR for 3 Gun, I like the fact that it's NR as well as taking AR mags. I met a guy that hunts with one and he swears by it. The price is what I don't find attractive about it though, $2,700 ish around these parts.

Grain
01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
The price is what I don't find attractive about it though, $2,700 ish around these parts.

They can be had online for $2350 (black that is, tan, OD etc is ~125 more), with GST and shipping should be about $2500. Still a lot of coin, but they don't need a lot of add ons, have BU sights and lots of rails already.

Xtreme
01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Might just have to bite the bullet and get one, would sure like to pull the trigger a couple of times first though. Seems like a lot of cash to spend site unseen.

Grain
01-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Seems like a lot of cash to spend site unseen.

I agree. Unless you live close to a shop with a lot of stock (I'm not), it seems to be the best way (internet) to buy these days.

Sanman
01-08-2013, 12:31 PM
I love my XCR!!!

Pros: Lots of rail space, smooth operations, folding stock option, Non-Restricted.
Cons: Heavier that a standard AR

I went through the same dilemma, glad i went with the XCR!!

Good luck with your decision.

Xtreme
01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Hmmm, found it listed at Cabela's for $2,550.00 Pretty reasonable, all things considered. Could actually hold it before melting my Visa.

tommycanada
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Im very happy with with mine!

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tommycanadabucket/XCR-LHK416_zps279d1967.jpg

BuckingFastard
01-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Very nice!

Asphalt Cowboy
01-12-2013, 12:25 AM
just went to town today and played touchy touch with the XCR-M 308 ..and put a down payment on her :D .. 8 more payments that baby is mine !!

Xtreme
01-12-2013, 09:09 AM
just went to town today and played touchy touch with the XCR-M 308 ..and put a down payment on her :D .. 8 more payments that baby is mine !!

Congrats! What store?

mlehto
01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
sorry my bad just saw the other thread re this ..please combine mods

Threads merged.

;)

Asphalt Cowboy
01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Congrats! What store?

sportslodge up here , $2600 , 20% down .. and hope to get her home as soon as the snow melts

Grain
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Got my XCR-L in the mail yesterday, hope to try 'er out this weekend. Thanks for all the advice men!

killer kane
02-12-2013, 08:51 PM
You'll like it, I know I love mine.

Steve704
02-12-2013, 11:53 PM
MR1 wins in the accuracy department from what I've seen.

Besides that the XCR is a much more ergonomic, modular platform with many more features and options that I feel make it about 10 times the gun the MR1 is. Just my opinion. The MR1 is also ugly as fukc.

I love my XCR!!!

Pros: Lots of rail space, smooth operations, folding stock option, Non-Restricted.
Cons: Heavier that a standard AR

I went through the same dilemma, glad i went with the XCR!!

Good luck with your decision.

Why would you compare the weight of an XCR (which is a piston rifle), to "a standard AR", why not compare it to a piston AR, which it is very similar too in weight.

I am so tired of people comparing the weight of piston guns, to direct impingement AR's. It's a stupid comparison. Piston AR's are very similar in weight to most other piston guns (Including your XCR) of equal barrel length. This is one of the hugest advantages to a DI AR, the weight, no piston gun I am familiar with can come close.

Sanman
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
MR1 wins in the accuracy department from what I've seen.

Bedsides that the XCR is a much more ergonomic, modular platform with many more features and options that I feel make it about 10 times the gun the MR1 is. Just my opinion. The MR1 is also ugly as fukc.

Why would you compare the weight of an XCR (which is a piston rifle), to "a standard AR", why not compare it to a piston AR, which it is very similar too in weight.

I am so tired of people comparing the weight of piston guns, to direct impingement AR's. It's a stupid comparison. Piston AR's are very similar in weight to most other piston guns (Including your XCR) of equal barrel length. This is one of the hugest advantages to a DI AR, the weight, no piston gun I am familiar with can come close.

Wow, obviously i was doing a direct comparison to a DI AR..... :slap:

Just giving some insight to Grain, as he had not had the chance to put an XCR in his hands yet.

Grain
02-14-2013, 08:14 AM
First impressions: the XCR seems like a really well made piece of kit. I like that there is little that needs to be added, ie has lots of rails, fully ambi, trigger appears very good (a little dry firing impressions only), really solid gun. I need to get a better set of rings/mount, and am leaning towards the Burris AR PEPR-QD, seems to have what I want, rezeroable quick detach, with about 1" of lift.
Regarding the weight issue, one of my AR's is a Colt Match HBAR, and it feels every bit as heavy as the XCR (but has zero rails). I think that when comparing, heavy barrel to heavy barrel needs to be factored in too.

lone-wolf
02-14-2013, 07:53 PM
This is one of the hugest advantages to a DI AR, the weight, no piston gun I am familiar with can come close.

SU16 :p

blaxsun
02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
SU16 :p

Hahaha, no. ;)

Grain
02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Was able to take the XCR out for a little plinking while I was out on my annual ice fishing trip. Holy loud. Must wear ear protection. Worked flawlessly, ran about 25 rounds through with the gas setting on 2, then dropped it to 1 for another 25. Waiting for my 5.45 conversion to come, as well as better rings for the scope. Will then give it a heavier workout. As much fun as 7.62x39 is, I will likely sell that (barrel, bolt etc) and keep it as 5.45.

walperstyle
06-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Seriously considering an XCR. Not sure if I want the XCR L or XCR M. ...I personally would love to have a short PDW, however, I want to say on the good side of the law. I took my restricted a couple months ago and have been waiting.

Basically... I want to have a gun I can turn into a PDW with a complete upper swap from Robinson Arms. AKA, .308w for long shots with scope and bipod, and a very short 5.56 conversion upper.

The down side is I suppose I'd have to figure out the legality of having a Mini/Micro with L/M swap out capability. Once its registered as a Resricted short rifle, can I convert it to a long rifle and still go out shooting in the Rockies? I wonder this to myself.

coastal
06-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Seriously considering an XCR. Not sure if I want the XCR L or XCR M. ...I personally would love to have a short PDW, however, I want to say on the good side of the law. I took my restricted a couple months ago and have been waiting.

Basically... I want to have a gun I can turn into a PDW with a complete upper swap from Robinson Arms. AKA, .308w for long shots with scope and bipod, and a very short 5.56 conversion upper.

The down side is I suppose I'd have to figure out the legality of having a Mini/Micro with L/M swap out capability. Once its registered as a Resricted short rifle, can I convert it to a long rifle and still go out shooting in the Rockies? I wonder this to myself.

I'm pretty sure you can't go from an L to a .308, you'd have to buy the M for the larger calibers. I just reread what you typed, can you change the whole upper to get the other calibers the M offers?

Sadosubliminal
06-27-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm saving my $$$'s for the XCR-L. I have seen a few used ones go for some really great prices - 1750 bare bones, <500 rd count. I just don't have the scratch yet. Too many expensive hobbies...

I really wanted to hold out for the Canadian version of the MPAR 556, but I doubt I'll be able to wait that long.

Hodaka
07-13-2013, 09:05 AM
I ended up grabbing an MR1 with collapsible stock. Really liking it with a SPARC on top, but have not had near enough trigger time to know what ammo it likes best. Ran a bunch of Norc non-corrosive through it - dirty stuff, but does the job for fun time. (I've got a bunch of LAR mags).

walperstyle
07-13-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't go from an L to a .308, you'd have to buy the M for the larger calibers. I just reread what you typed, can you change the whole upper to get the other calibers the M offers?

That is what I'm trying to find out. Because if I can get .223 and .308 I'll buy the L and get the parts necessary. I'd like to have a short .223 and a long bipod equipped .308

Edit: I would think that a quick full upper change is possible. The company would be stupid to not make an easy conversion. But then again, that is possibly why the ACR won the military contracts.

killer kane
07-13-2013, 08:25 PM
The M and the L are not the same platforms. I have both.

walperstyle
07-14-2013, 08:54 AM
so you can't swap out the complete uppers then? Thus, assuming you can't swap out a Micro with an L either?

lone-wolf
07-14-2013, 09:59 AM
The XCRL & XCRM are two different lowers.
The .223 micro XCR-L is just an standard XCR-L with a short barreled upper. Other uppers are available in 7.62x39, 5.45, and 6.8, with various barrel lengths available.
The XCR-M has a mini upper available as well(Mini Upper Receiver accepts the following barrel lengths: 13", 14.7", and 16"), no micros yet, and the only other calibre offered is .260rem

All XCR-L(.223, 7.62x39mm, 5.45, & 6.8mm) Uppers are swap-able with each other, All XCR-M(.308 & .260Rem) Uppers are swap-able with each other. You can not swap uppers from a XCR-L to XCR-M or vice versa.

Camp Cook
07-18-2013, 07:51 PM
I have an OD green XCR-L with complete uppers in 223 and 6.8SPC both cartridges are a hoot to shoot and hunt with.

I hunt coyotes with the 223 loaded with 40gr V-Max @ 3250fps and hunt coyotes and deer with the 6.8 loaded with Barnes 95gr TTSX @ 2880fps.

I find the XCR-L to have very adequate accuracy for hunting 1 1/2" 10 shot 100 yard groups with the 40gr V-Max and slightly better with the 95gr TTSX.

I use 10 round 223 LAR 15 mags in the 223 and 10 round 7.62X39 mags in the 6.8 these mags legally hold 11 6.8 rounds.

I'll put it this way I have absolutely no interest in a MR1...

Here are some pics.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/529/medium/img_4254.jpg

6.8 mule deer hunting

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9390.jpg

The rifle it now has a FAST stock on it

http://www.hunt101.com/data/544/medium/img_9437.jpg

Mule deer hunting

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/Jaiden_Jason_Dad_with_Bucks_Oct_4_2010.JPG

Camp defense protecting my Carolines and coffee :shoot:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9382.jpg

95gr TTSX 347 yards across valley I did not hold for windage the third shot is in the dirt just to the right of my thumb I figure its not that bad of a group considering I was shooting off the back of my quad.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/544/medium/img_9308.jpg

the shot the rock is just left of the top of the light coloured log center of pic

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9307.jpg

coastal
07-18-2013, 10:10 PM
That's an awesome report camp cook. Who's got the best price on caliber conversions? I saw Alex Robinson on nut n fancy claiming they were supposed to cost under $500

Camp Cook
07-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Well thank you... :)

Wolverine Supplies http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/ is the Canadian importer for all things Robinson Arms.

Here is the link to the XCR-L barrels http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/products/firearms/parts.aspx you will also need a bolt to accept whatever cartridge you decide to swap too.

Can't watch nut&fancy so do not know what Alex said.

coastal
07-19-2013, 12:19 AM
What scopes are you running for each caliber?

Camp Cook
07-19-2013, 06:47 AM
223 = Leupold Vari X 11 4-12X40mm AO fine reticle 1" tube

6.8 = Leupold VX111 4.5-14X40mm LR side focus Varmint reticle 30mm tube

I also have a Leupold 1X Prismatic illuminated 30mm tube that I swap onto both uppers