PDA

View Full Version : School me on EOTECH.

Petamocto
05-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Hello,

Before I got scared on Trudeau's bans, I was convinced that I'd only ever have one AR, so I bought the best rifle and optic for me.

My AR is a DD Mk18 (10.3") and I have a Trijicon TA-11 on it, which is the slightly longer/bigger one than the TA31 (US Army), but offers way more forgiving eye relief.

That's now changed that I've bought another AR, the Sig M400 Tread (16", CFO transfer pending).

That has me thinking about transferring the magnified ACOG over to the 16" barrel, and going with a non-magnified lighter red dot on my 10.3" barrel that I have now.

I've had some budget red dots before:
- TRS25, loved it and it's on my son's Savage Rascal. He loves it too, so it's not moving.
- Vortex Spitfire 1X. Was happy with it, but sold it to get the 3X.
- Vortex Spitfire 3X. Absolutely terrible, practically not magnified at all, verified by multiple friends and the people behind the counter at Cabela's. It was 1.2X, tops.

So my goal is to get something decent, but stay light. A quick look at EOTECH's website shows the "XPS2" model as the smallest/lightest/cheapest, and it comes in a "0" with just the dot in the middle, or a "2" with a second dot for longer shots (presumably 200-400 or something), so I guess I'd get the 2 unless a 0 came up for a great price.

The goal is to stay as light as possible, and I may just go with irons until a good deal comes up because I'm in no rush.

Can anyone who knows red dots weigh in with some thoughts/advice, please? Much appreciated, thank you.

lone-wolf
05-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Maybe have a look at cmore red dots too. I have a tactical model which has a built in rear sight as well, and I think that'd be dandy on a short barrel ar.
I really liked it on the 16" ar I used to have.

Petamocto
05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Added: If anyone has a decent set of irons you're looking to get rid of, please send me a PM. Daniel Defense or Magpul MBUS-like stuff, thank you. Likely all I can afford for now until the right red dot goes on sale.

Waynetheman
05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
I have an xps2-2 with the dual dots. But not sure what I can tell you that you couldn’t quickly google yourself though. Also the dots are 50/200yards due to arc and 500 for the lower dot iirc. And the exps models are 1/3 cowitness.

Neil Burke
05-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Do you have astigmatism? If so, make sure to look through an eotech prior to purchase.

Petamocto
05-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Do you have astigmatism? If so, make sure to look through an eotech prior to purchase.

I don't think so (?)

My Burris TRS25 and Vortex Spitfires didn't seem to give me any trouble and I could always hit what I was aiming at.

Does EOTECH use a different type of dot that's more susceptible to being screwed up by eye problems?

RangeBob
05-14-2019, 11:15 AM
EOTECH had a problem a couple years back with it losing zero after large temperature changes.

Doug_M
05-14-2019, 12:55 PM
I have an EXPS2-0 and absolutely love it. I bought it because of all the "red dots" out there it is one of only a couple that truly have near zero parallax. But that circle with the 1 MOA dot in the middle is amazing. Circle up close for quick centre mass shots, dot for precision, both eyes open. And it works!

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

Doug_M
05-14-2019, 12:55 PM
EOTECH had a problem a couple years back with it losing zero after large temperature changes.

Long since remedied. Don't buy an older used one though lol

RangeBob
05-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Don't buy an older used one though lol

A couple years back, when the Zero Cold issue was just coming out, I almost bought an older used one.
Neither me (buyer) nor seller felt too bad about cancelling the deal, since I gave the seller a link to the EOTech rebate page which turned out to be more $ than the price he was going to sell it to me for.
I ended up with an Aimpoint instead.

linung
05-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Vortex Sparc II is nice so is the Burris Fastfire 3.

Petamocto
05-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Never buying another Vortex anything after how much I hated the 3x that wasn’t magnified.

I will check out the Burris.

VooDoo
05-14-2019, 09:25 PM
I'd recommend looking through an EoTech before you buy to see if your eye "likes" the reticle. I have the XPS2-2 and that reticle is awesome compared to a single red dot.

Doug_M
05-15-2019, 04:12 AM
You shouldn't replace an ACOG on a upper mid-tier AR with something budget or low-mid priced. You will regret it and end up selling whatever you got, losing some bucks, and then getting an Eotech in the end. I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with those other optics, but you don't put a $400 scope on a $3000 hunting rifle. It would leave you wanting. Why would you do the same with a DD?

lone-wolf
05-15-2019, 05:25 AM
If I didn't go for a 5x, an eotech was definitely going to be it for me too.
I have an old bushnell model, really like it but I think the battery contacts are bad, so a new one would of worked great.
The dot is about the size or slightly smaller than the head of the fig 11 @ 300yrds.

Neil Burke
05-15-2019, 08:05 AM
I don't think so (?)

My Burris TRS25 and Vortex Spitfires didn't seem to give me any trouble and I could always hit what I was aiming at.

Does EOTECH use a different type of dot that's more susceptible to being screwed up by eye problems?

If your prescription has axis and cylinder numbers, you have astigmatism. Otherwise, yes the Holographic system lends itself to more perceived distortion due to astigmatism than normal red dots. I can't use the eotechs comfortably due to mine. YMMV.

Petamocto
05-15-2019, 08:06 AM
Doug,

I totally agree with you that I don't want to put anything cheap on it, but I think the Burris Fastfire 3 seems to be a viable option.

I'll likely just go with irons anyway until I commit, which may very well be until EOTECHs go on sale.

All,

Thank you for the tips, and I will generally look at all options in the store before I blindly commit to buying something online.

Grimlock
05-15-2019, 08:29 AM
The Fastfire 3 is a pistol sized dot. I have mine on a rifle and like it, but be aware that the window isn't EOTECH sized. I would like to try the Holosun HS510C. It gets good reviews, including the obligatory dumb internet reviews with being driven over by a truck, frozen in a block of ice etc. Battery life is something like 50,000 hours.

play.soccer
05-15-2019, 11:57 AM
I have a FF3 on my FX9, works well

Petamocto
05-29-2019, 11:21 AM
I know that you get what you pay for with glass, but to any of you think the extra money is worth it for the Magpul or KAC irons?

They’re $200-$400 depending on new/used, when you can get eBay irons for $25 shipped.

I’ve got a set of 45 degree cheap irons already and there’s nothing wrong with them.

If anyone has experience with the expensive irons, please let me know and I’ll maybe consider them.

play.soccer
05-29-2019, 12:22 PM
Not to go too off topic but are ACOGS worth it?

Neil Burke
05-29-2019, 07:16 PM
I know that you get what you pay for with glass, but to any of you think the extra money is worth it for the Magpul or KAC irons?

They’re $200-$400 depending on new/used, when you can get eBay irons for $25 shipped.

I’ve got a set of 45 degree cheap irons already and there’s nothing wrong with them.

If anyone has experience with the expensive irons, please let me know and I’ll maybe consider them.

Only ever used diamond head ones but they're in the same price range as the magpul. iirc. Work quite well on my mk18. Not that it helps with comparing to ebay, but I don't regret spending the money.