PDA

View Full Version : Our order is behind - big surprise

blacksmithden
01-05-2013, 03:13 AM
Well guys...it appears with all the garbage going on in the US, our supplier is ignoring Canada. Big surprise there. Delays delays..I hate delays. Arrrgh.

Anyway...I'm looking at some flashlights. Not your average flashlights though. I brought in 3 of them...they're LED ones that are 910 lumens and use one rechargeable lithium ion battery. To give you something to compare that to, the 3 pack of LED lights that take 3xAAA batteries that Costco sells are 100 lumens.These ones are about the same length, an a little narrower. Needless to say, the 910 lumen ones are "a wee bit" brighter. LOL. One thing though...they do get pretty damned hot. You probably wouldn't want to leave one turned on and leave it sitting on your couch. The battery, when on high power lasted about 45 minutes. There are 3 settings on them. The low setting was less than the 100 lumen lights from Costco, so I imagine they would last a long time if you left them set on that. They also had a strobe setting and an SOS setting. Not sure about the usefulness of that, but it's there. Anyway...they're off with my "testers" right now. We'll see how they like them.

The one I'm really interested in, I just put in an order for one to test. It's...get this....11000 lumens....yes, you read that right...11000. LOL. These things should compare to the headlights on a car on high beam. It won't be in for a month or so though. The price on one light, a set of batteries and a charger would be somewhere around the $200 mark. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone would have any interest in them if they preform as well as I'm hoping. I'm not even sure if I should be looking at these things...I don't know how hot it'll run, and the CSA guys sometimes don't like stuff like that. There's probably some reason nobody seems to be selling them on this side of the world. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway...just a quick update on what we're working on. Hopefully things will get moving on the stock order soon.

Cheers guys, and for anyone I missed, happy New Year.

BSD

Strewth
01-05-2013, 03:27 AM
Interested at $200...run time, battery life, blahblahblah...as long as they don't burn me too badly:)

blacksmithden
01-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Sorry...have to add a correction in there Strewth...that's not 11000 lumens....it's 13000 lumens !! I really have to stop staying up until all hours researching this stuff ! As far as run time....I'm not going to guess at it. I'll see what it will actually do once I've had a chance to test it myself. The manufacturer doesn't actually say what it's supposed to be. With so many different mAH ratings on batteries these days, I guess they can't. I went with the highest powered ones I could find. He he he....If nothing else, I'm going to be the coolest kid at the camp ground this summer...that's for sure. :D

Xtreme
01-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Sorry...have to add a correction in there Strewth...that's not 11000 lumens....it's 13000 lumens !! I really have to stop staying up until all hours researching this stuff ! As far as run time....I'm not going to guess at it. I'll see what it will actually do once I've had a chance to test it myself. The manufacturer doesn't actually say what it's supposed to be. With so many different mAH ratings on batteries these days, I guess they can't. I went with the highest powered ones I could find. He he he....If nothing else, I'm going to be the coolest kid at the camp ground this summer...that's for sure. :D

Yup, for at least 5 minutes!

Forbes/Hutton
01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm a flashlight junkie, mostly upgraded surefires, but I hate dealing with re-chargeable batteries. I stick with cr123 or AA power.

Strewth
01-05-2013, 12:29 PM
11000, 13000....I'm curiously okay with either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dxZoTcktHyE

Mostly because I was out-lumened at hunt camp this year....must...reclaim...title....:)

Forbes/Hutton
01-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Super bright lights are great when and where you need them but even at 200lm indoors a light colour semi-gloss wall under 20 feet away will leave you with no night vision for a couple of minutes when you turn the light off.

Outdoors 500lms plus is great in open areas, but walking through woods with that much power will again affect your natural night vision when the lights turned off.

Flashlights with multi levels help a great deal if used properly, you just have to remember at times with light you CAN have too much hammer.

Videos never do LED lights justice. I can light up a football field with a surefire with a 300lms Cree bulb in place.

blacksmithden
01-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Super bright lights are great when and where you need them but even at 200lm indoors a light colour semi-gloss wall under 20 feet away will leave you with no night vision for a couple of minutes when you turn the light off.

Outdoors 500lms plus is great in open areas, but walking through woods with that much power will again affect your natural night vision when the lights turned off.

Flashlights with multi levels help a great deal if used properly, you just have to remember at times with light you CAN have too much hammer.

Videos never do LED lights justice. I can light up a football field with a surefire with a 300lms Cree bulb in place.

Wha...wha....WHAT ??? TOO MUCH ???!?!?! What are you saying man !!!! LOL... Yes...I have to agree with you on that. Even the 910 lumen ones are a bit of a stretch when on full power indoors. Outdoors, even those little ones would light up my entire yard, and the neighbors well enough that I could easily see everything in both yards. I'm one of those guys who likes having extra power when I want/need it. I'm with Strewth on this one....I --- WILL --- NOT --- BE --- OUTDONE ---AT---DEER---CAMP !!!! :D The other thing I was thinking. Keeping this thing on the night table from a defense aspect. Let's face it. If somebody broke in and you managed to shine a 13000 lumen light in their eyes...they'll be blinded more than long enough for you go up and clobber them with the light or whatever suits your fancy. :D

Forbes/Hutton
01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Any camp needs a bright light to find the beer that's making a run for it (but I left it RIGHT HERE!).

My fortune awaits in a beer koozie with built-in glo-sticks or something close. Built in drunk test as a bonus, if you don't remember to shake the glo-stick koozie WITHOUT the bottle in it, you've failed the drunk test.

blacksmithden
01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
The nice thing about having a flashlight that will almost set the bush on fire is, when your drunk buddy goes to the can....then walks off in the wrong direction and gets lost, no matter where he winds up, if he can remember to set the light on strobe and point it straight up, you'll see the signal on the clouds. If it's a clear night, he can signal airliners for help. :) We could name it "The Drunk In The Bush Safety Light" :) How about the "Save Your Drunk Butt In The Bush Light" :)

Xtreme
01-06-2013, 07:50 AM
The nice thing about having a flashlight that will almost set the bush on fire is, when your drunk buddy goes to the can....then walks off in the wrong direction and gets lost, no matter where he winds up, if he can remember to set the light on strobe and point it straight up, you'll see the signal on the clouds. If it's a clear night, he can signal airliners for help. :) We could name it "The Drunk In The Bush Safety Light" :) How about the "Save Your Drunk Butt In The Bush Light" :)

You might as well just call it "Mine".

YukonLeftie
01-07-2013, 01:29 AM
.....K, after watching that vid, Im interested in one of them flashlights. VERY nice.

blacksmithden
01-07-2013, 02:51 AM
.....K, after watching that vid, Im interested in one of them flashlights. VERY nice.

I don't know for sure what the CREE Q5 LED's are putting out. Actually, he didn't say that his big light was using them...he did show the head of it though with 4 LED's in it. The one I'm bringing in has 12 CREE T6 LED's in it. They seem to be the "go to" in the market these days.

Edit:

T6's are rated 280 min to 975 max lumens
Q5's are rated 107 min to 376 max lumens

So, if those were Q5's in there, the flashlight he had was actually rated (according to the manufacturer of the LED's) at a maximum of 1504 lumens. The one I'm bringing in is rates for a maximum output from the 12 led's at 11700 lumens. This is going to be interesting. Now I'm just itching to get my hands on this thing to see what it'll do !!! LOL !!!!

Edit again:

I just went through every CREE led that's listed on the led-tech site. The highest output led that CREE makes right now is the T6 at 975 lumens....so, even if those were T6's he had in the light in the video, he's still putting out a max of 3900 lumens. So, the light we're looking at is cranking out 3 TIMES that much light ! Now I'm DYING to get my hands on it !!!! :D

Edit again...I went back and read my previous post...let's just scrap the 11000 and 13000 ratings and go with what the manufacturer says the leds will do and put it at 11700 lumen. The stuff I was reading put it at 13000...then at 11000 in another spot. Anyway...it's damned bright ! LOL !

Satain
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Is this a deal extreme thing or is this a real world flash light?

blacksmithden
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Is this a deal extreme thing or is this a real world flash light?

It's a place out of Hong Kong...not deal extreme. They are more of a retail site for one off stuff, and they didn't have this particular light. Ideally, what I'd like to do is get the stuff in country for the same prices that you see on those websites...but the stuff would be in country, only days away, and not subject to stupid duty and brokerage fees. If I get it, and it's junk, then you'll never see us offer it. If it's actually a good product, then I'll bring more in. Kind of like the other 975 lumen lights I brought in. So far, everybody loves them and no problems. I'll be trying to swing a deal on them shortly. Some of the stuff coming out of China isn't half bad, but you've got to get at least one of whatever and really give it a workout before making any decisions....at least that's what I've been telling my wife when she questions all these packages arriving in the mail ! LOL ! Oh, yes dear....we're looking at carrying dash cameras and radar detectors. LOL !!!!!

Satain
01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Dude when that stuff gets approved by you keep me in the skinny please cause that vid is nutz!