PDA

View Full Version : New GOC member | PAL question

Josh12
06-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Hi all

I am a new GOC member and newbie when it comes to firearms but hopefully will become more experienced over time with the help of members on this page!

Right off the gate, I have a question. This weekend I am going to take my PAL course for both restricted and non-restricted firearms. I am currently 18, turning 19 this Agust. So the guy that I signed up with said something about how I can complete the course's but I would not be able to acquire the license till I turned 19 yr old. I looked online and read about the minor's license but nothing about needing to be 19 to get the PAL license. (Note; I reside in B.C)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Turtlehead
06-21-2019, 09:55 PM
google search says 18

Josh12
06-21-2019, 10:01 PM
Yeah, that's what I read. Not 100% sure what the guy was talking about. I guess I will have to see when I get there.

Dewey Cox
06-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Its 18.
Whoever told you otherwise is a moron.

Josh12
06-21-2019, 10:23 PM
That's what I thought.

blacksmithden
06-21-2019, 10:23 PM
To the best of my knowledge its 18. I think your instructor needs a refresher course.

Josh12
06-21-2019, 10:27 PM
I am not sure if he was the instructor, he was the guy up front selling the products and where I signed up for the course. But regardless, he needs to read up on the rules I think.

SIR VEYOR
06-22-2019, 06:54 AM
I am not sure if he was the instructor, he was the guy up front selling the products and where I signed up for the course. But regardless, he needs to read up on the rules I think.

Find out if he’s with the NFA or the CCFR. I’m laying odds on which one, unless he’s just a Cabelas generic store staff...

sltoronto
06-22-2019, 08:09 AM
My guess would be that the guy was confused in regard of the age of majority ... which is different in different provinces ....
Firearms are federal, so, of course it's 18 ..

The age of majority is 18 in six provinces: Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
The age of majority is 19 in four provinces and the three territories: British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, and Yukon

RobertMcC
06-22-2019, 08:19 AM
It's 18, because that's when I took my license.

For individuals aged 12 to 17

A Minors' Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and passed the test.
Once a person turns 18, they are no longer eligible for a minor's licence. Instead, they must apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee.

linung
06-22-2019, 05:34 PM
same difference. by the time you get it... it'll be at least August or September.

greywolf67nt
06-23-2019, 10:54 AM
I AMa CFSC/CRFSC instructor and it IS 18.

RangeBob
06-23-2019, 11:10 AM
The PAL application form says 18 or over.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5592-eng.pdf

The Firearms Act says
"64(1) A licence that is issued to an individual who is eighteen years old or older "
-- https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/F-11.6.pdf
"An individual who is less than eighteen years old and who hunts or traps as a way of life is eligible to hold a licence if the individual needs to hunt or trap in order to sustain himself or herself or his or her family." ... " An individual who is twelve years old or older but less than eighteen years old is eligible to hold a licence authorizing the individual to possess, in accordance with the conditions attached to the licence, a firearm for the purpose of target practice, hunting or instruction in the use of firearms or for the purpose of taking part in an organized competition."
"An individual who is less than eighteen years old is not eligible to hold a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms or to acquire firearms or cross-bows."

[humor]
The statement that you have to be 18-years-old is totally false.
You may be older than 18 as well !

Justice
06-28-2019, 10:52 AM
"...google search says 18..." So does the law. That instructor doesn't know what he's doing.
The age of majority has nothing to do with it. The whole thing is what happens when unqualified people are allowed to run the useless courses.

SIR VEYOR
06-28-2019, 02:20 PM
"...google search says 18..." So does the law. That instructor doesn't know what he's doing.
The age of majority has nothing to do with it. The whole thing is what happens when unqualified people are allowed to run the useless courses.

“The guy who signed him up” - likely a store staffer. I haven’t heard of any unqualified people certified as the actual instructors...