PDA

View Full Version : Beware (not so) counterfeit Bushnell products.

Leonardj
08-14-2019, 05:04 PM
UPDATE

Bushnell changed their trs25, I believe they're both real
As it turns out, you were absolutely correct.

I finally heard back from Bushnell, and while the person that I first spoke with was certain that it was a counterfeit, after they had examined all the pics that I sent them, one of the older technicians did recognize the unit as a very early model, made prior to when they began adding the product code to the units. I don't know what year this old sight was produced, but it is the first one I have seen like it, and I have several of them going back close to 20 years.
Bushnell also stated that they will honour their warranty on the unit.

I apologize for the misinformed post, and in hindsight, I probably should have waited for the verification that I received today, instead of posting based on the information provided by the individual that I spoke with on the phone. :red:
------------------------------------------------

Over the weekend, I purchased what I thought to be a Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot sight, in as-new condition. I tested it before buying, and it seemed to be working OK.
Upon mounting it, and then trying to sight it in, it became clear that it was a bad buy. No problem, Bushnell has a fantastic warranty, and I could probably get a replacement.

Problem is, this product, while clearly marked "Bushnell", is not.
When placed side-by-side with an actual Bushnell TRS-25, the subtle differences are hard to spot. (Bushnell uses both white or gold lettering on their dots, so that is not an indicator of a fake).

Bottom line is that this counterfeit is an inferior POS, and is being sold online as a brand name Bushnell product to unsuspecting customers.

I spoke on the telephone to a representative at Bushnell Canada, and he was not aware of counterfeits of the TRS-25 red dot, but they had seen several counterfeit Bushnell rifle scopes.
He requested photo-documentation of this counterfeit product, which I have provided.

In the next pic, you can now see several differences between the two sights, but without a genuine item next to it, it is much more difficult to determine that one is is a counterfeit.
The six digit product code that I have circled in yellow is the absolute key to determining if the item is a Bushnell product. No product code, no Bushnell warranty.

lone-wolf
08-14-2019, 05:13 PM

lone-wolf
08-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Disregard that, I have a white and gold one, and I see the differences you are talking about. Aside from the lettering the two I have appear to be identical.

labradort
08-14-2019, 06:14 PM
For the counterfeit is there anything more you can say about how it is a POS? I have a few mounted on firearms and I don't want to take them off to look for a serial number. Was it a problem with getting solid mounting or the red dot appearance through the lens or what?

hawk-i
08-14-2019, 06:20 PM
You can clearly see what the problem is on the real Bushnell....it says right there, MADE IN CHINA. Are they really stupid enough to think it wouldn't be counterfeited? :(

labradort
08-14-2019, 06:24 PM
I have one I never mounted, still in the box, in Realtree camo pattern. Box bottom shows copyright 2012 for some indication of the model issue. It has no serial number on the bottom of the sight facing the mounting side. It was bought from a reputable local store, not online.

linung
08-14-2019, 06:44 PM
they're here in Ontario. short drive. I took the rifleman scope I picked up at FOC to them and they replaced it with a banner.

Leonardj
08-14-2019, 07:06 PM
For the counterfeit is there anything more you can say about how it is a POS? I have a few mounted on firearms and I don't want to take them off to look for a serial number. Was it a problem with getting solid mounting or the red dot appearance through the lens or what?
The dot is not consistent in shape or brightness.

It does not hold aimpoint settings. Turn it off, then back on again, and you have a brand new POI.

The turrets seem to be sticking. Try to move the elevation up a few clicks, and there is no movement of the POI. Move it a few more clicks, then it seems to jump to the new setting, which is usually too much.
Try to bring it back down a few clicks, and the same process repeats itself. As well, the clicks are not as positive as on the real Bushnell.

Leonardj
08-14-2019, 07:14 PM
I have one I never mounted, still in the box, in Realtree camo pattern. Box bottom shows copyright 2012 for some indication of the model issue. It has no serial number on the bottom of the sight facing the mounting side. It was bought from a reputable local store, not online.
The product number is in black lettering on the black sight, but can still be seen clearly enough.
Perhaps the camo is covering the product number?

I've checked several of my other Bushnell products, and all of them have the product number on them.

Rory McCanuck
08-14-2019, 09:33 PM
If you go to Wish .com you can buy knockoffs to your heart's content.
A Zeiss for $249? That's sounds like a great deal...

I don't think I'll buy any NIB scopes from anyone unless I know them.

blacksmithden
08-15-2019, 12:22 AM
If you go to Wish .com you can buy knockoffs to your heart's content.
A Zeiss for $249? That's sounds like a great deal...

I don't think I'll buy any NIB scopes from anyone unless I know them.

And on aliexpress, along with every other online Chinese website.

joe6167
08-15-2019, 06:22 AM
"Made In China"

I wonder, is the factory running its own production on the side, or possibly selling rejects? Seems like an awful lot of work to counterfeit such a thing, and realistically, how many would get sold? So I can only imagine that the factory that Bushnell contracted with to produce them would also be the source of the counterfeits.

Leonardj
08-15-2019, 09:20 AM
As it turns out, you were absolutely correct.

I finally heard back from Bushnell, and while the person that I first spoke with was certain that it was a counterfeit, after they had examined all the pics that I sent them, one of the older technicians did recognize the unit as a very early model, made prior to when they began adding the product code to the units. I don't know what year this old sight was produced, but it is the first one I have seen like it, and I have several of them going back close to 20 years.
Bushnell also stated that they will honour their warranty on the unit.

I apologize for the misinformed post, and in hindsight, I probably should have waited for the verification that I received today, instead of posting based on the information provided by the individual that I spoke with on the phone. :red:

shootemup604
08-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Well, now it has literally come full circle. All the same, thanks for the read and effort.

kennymo
08-15-2019, 10:22 AM
I was all ‘man, it’s really hard to tell the difference’... ;)

Updated the title slightly, feel free to adjust it by hitting ‘go advanced’ when editing the first post.

Leonardj
08-15-2019, 11:06 AM
I was all ‘man, it’s really hard to tell the difference’... ;)

Updated the title slightly, feel free to adjust it by hitting ‘go advanced’ when editing the first post.
Thank you for the title change.

The two sights are very much different when compared closely. More like completely re-engineered than just a change or two made.
I cannot imagine what sort of abuse caused this sight to have the issues that it exhibits, yet still appear as-new externally.

RobertMcC
08-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Thank you for the title change.

The two sights are very much different when compared closely. More like completely re-engineered than just a change or two made.
I cannot imagine what sort of abuse caused this sight to have the issues that it exhibits, yet still appear as-new externally.

Did you buy it new or used? And what box you get with it? Almost sounds like someone over tightened it, and stripped the screws. And if bushnell gonna warranty it, send it back.

Leonardj
08-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Did you buy it new or used? And what box you get with it? Almost sounds like someone over tightened it, and stripped the screws. And if bushnell gonna warranty it, send it back.
Bought used, no box.
Tested before purchasing, and all seemed to be OK.....till I tried to sight it in.
Gotta love Bushnell's warranty service.

road kill
08-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Good update, so much fake crap out there now you have to be careful.