PDA

View Full Version : My first 'virgin' - Tikka T3 Lite Left Hand 30.06

YukonLeftie
01-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Well, I finally got my "virgin" (IE I am the first owner of this gem) home - Tikka T3 Lite 30.06 in left hand bolt. So far, I'm quite in love. A few interesting things Ive learned so far (And yes the obligatory note that all pics are of the gun unloaded) --

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408620_10151460434340676_1489257521_n.jpg

For one, the action of pulling the firing pin back is not done as what I would call traditional - that is, Enfield, Winchester etc have the action of when the bolt is driven forward, firing pin is pulled/held back and the spring compressed. Not this Tikka - the act of compressing is spring is done when pulling the bolt up after firing. When cocked, two red dots are visible - one on the firing pin which runs the length of the bolt, a second to the left which is covered should the safety be activated. Further, the act of engaging safety both locks the trigger and locks the bolt in the down position. The throw or rather lateral travel of the bolt is quite long; considerably longer than the Enfield.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431196_10151460437435676_1767677080_n.jpg

Fit and finish - the metals fit and finish is excellent, I dare say high to top class. The plastic, on the other hand , could use some minor improvements. The first I noted was the safety lever drags lightly over the plastic cover of the rear of the bolt and has left a mark already. The second is stock does not match 100% to the rubber buttplate; there's in around a 1/16" difference with the pad being that much longer. The rifle comes with a Torx driver to disassemble the rifle; as well as the booklet with a rather well illustrated guide to do this. It also comes with a pair of strap eyelets, a nice touch. Further, Ive never been much on synthetic stocks; though I do have to say it is starting to grow on me. I am Tempted to see if I could get a wood stock and see how it looks; but given the stainless appearance of the barrel this black stock may be better.

The releasable clip is a three round plastic assembly; with the release to the fore of the clip. Im not quite 100% convinced that clip will stay if the rifle is bumped; but I think I simply prefer the Enfield setup of the clip release inside the trigger guard. Definitely going to see if I can get a hold of a 5 shot clip - I don't want bigger as its as single stack setup and any lower would stick out obtrusively past the trigger guard.

Which, actually brings me to the guard itself - its one assembly with the lower shroud around the clip. I cant say I am particularly convinced of the strength and durability of the guard; seems kinda light to me. I think it'll be one of the first upgrades on the list - Id like a proper stainless steel assembly. Note that generally these aren't real criticisms; much more personal preferences.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/59899_10151460436460676_367983122_n.jpg

Back up top, the Rifle comes without ANY form of open sights; but is designed to allow both screw set scopes (with the wholes being threaded and screws installed) and the side clamp style; forget what it's actually called.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/20106_10151460435805676_1441374331_n.jpg

A note of the paperwork - the owners manual comes in a number of languages, and included is a certificate of safety AND accuracy; stating that the rifle has had 3 rounds through it to ensure a less than 1 MOA at 100 meters. I also note, scope notwithstanding, the rifle is at least a pound lighter than the Enfield (don't have a scale so cant tell you exactly); but I suppose this leaves one room weight wise for a higher power/strength scope. The manual includes a complete exploded view with detailed list of parts - including Part Numbers themselves for each part; Muchly appreciated I must say as a Auto Tech. The specs listed are as follows -
Rate of twist for caliber - 11", Weight 6LBS, Overall length 42 5/16", Barrel length 22 7/16", Capacity 3+1.

Overall, without yet having fired it (I have cycled and dry fired it of course) I would have to say that this is quite a fine, solid quality rifle. The owners manual advertises clearly that this is an all weather rifle designed for harsh elements. Well, I will likely test that theory - but this rifle WILL be getting a hard case with custom cut foam around it to properly protect it. I paid $750 for the Rifler, and the scope I intend to get a good to high quality one; it is NOT gonna be the jeep gun (especially since the Mauser does that job quite well).

For now, I need recommendations - I want a scope, at LEAST 10x in power, preferably variable power that will handle reaching out at least 400 Yards. I intend to find that fine line between hunting and precision rig, and dance all over it. Feel free to chime in guys! And yes, when I finally do scope this sweetheart there will be further reviewing...

Rory McCanuck
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Congrats on the new addition. Those Tikkas are pretty nice, and guaranteed to be a shooter.
Might I suggest you not try to cover every base with one scope. A good precision target scope is about as much use on hunting trip as an accordion (with apologies to the recently departed General Schwarzkopf)

Two sets of quick detach rings, one for a higher power scope and one for a hunting scope. I have no experience with a "precision" scope, so I'll leave that to others, but I know that many benchresters use a fixed high power scope. That way there can be no incorrect settings, and its always very consistent.

3x9s are popular, but I think they are a compromise. Three power is too much for close, quick shots, and nine power not enough for long range precision shooting.
Bushnell makes a pretty nice 1.5x6 with a 30mm tube that is quite inexpensive, about $170
Leupold makes a beautiful 2x7, about $270, that is as nice a scope as any for twice the price. They make more low power scopes in each of their ranges, and I'm not sure there is a bad one in the bunch.

Budget is important. $40 will get you a scope, but you'll probably feel you paid too much for it soon enough.You can also easily spend more on a scope than I will spend on a vehicle ;)

YukonLeftie
01-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Well, If Im going out, the Tikka is for long range; I have a backup for up close if necessary (Either someones with me or I have a second in reach). The Tikka Is going to be for reaching out and touching the target. ;)

Strewth
01-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Cogratulations on a wonderfully accurate out of the box rifle with a slick action and a crisp (still adjustable I assume by taking the stock off?) trigger. I LOVE my Tikka.
I will say hold on to your hat when you go price out a new plastic magazine:)!
There are a couple of guys around the interwebz that sell new bottom metal and a metal bolt shroud in black or stainless...I've even seen a AIC mag conversion bottom metal (like the Rem 700) that gives you 10 rounders...;)
I found torqueing the action screw had a measurable effect on accuracy...I believe mine is at 40 inch pounds.
I will be no help with the scope, I've shuttled between a 3x9 and a 2x7 for hunting, and still haven't quite decided....most of my shots are around a hundred yards, with very few out to two hundred. The rifle far outshoots me from the bench, whatever the glass is, which is extremely confidence building!
I will say for my next precision build (out to 400yrds) I'm leaning heavily towards a fixed 10 power- either the very affordable Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x 40mm, or the Sightron III 10x...we'll see...
Congrats again! Did I mention I love my Tikka?

Edit: You might want a Limbsaver pad to go with the wood stock..they're a pretty light rifle!

Satain
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
You did one nice write up.
One other thing I never understood was. Would it be easy and quicker for a right handed person to shoot and clycle a left handed action?