PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a bind; need advice. (Centerfire scope needed)

YukonLeftie
01-14-2013, 02:06 AM
The backstory - My mom bought my dad a Model 70 Winchester, .308, with a Bushnell 3-9x Sportview Scope; many many years ago. Dad actually never used the rifle up until recently; and asked me to sight it in. Long story short; my sighting it in didn't work for him, of course; so he wound up stealing the mounts off the scope for his Henry Golden boy. He left me with the scope, and I had put it in the back of my Jeep like a dumb@ss. Pull it out; found the seals within the scope had failed and the inner lenses have ingested dust. UGH. So; I need to replace the scope for him.

What is a comparable, or superior, scope I can mount onto his post 64 .308; with the catch being it has to come back far enough for him to see through? His complaint when I had it assembled and sighted was that the scope was too far forward and he couldn't get a good sight out of the scope at all. He did say he wanted it sighted in for 200 yards even; originally.

THanx guys.

mlehto
01-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Budget is a must before anyone starts recommending anything, otherwise this could go on forever.

zulu
01-14-2013, 09:58 AM
id say take him to a gun store. that scope has a 4 inch eye relief which isnt bad maybe look at some that have 4.5? or a mount that lets it ride further back?

road kill
01-16-2013, 07:33 AM
A sportview Bushnell is close to the bottom end of any scope line, look at the Vortex line as well the Redfield lineup from Leupold is good. Those old sportview sold for maybe $75 years ago and were not a great buy.

BrotherRockeye
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Comparable these days would be the Banner lineup. Go with a wide angle. Great bang for the buck.

Prairie Dog
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Mueller?

Eye Relief: Extended 4.25”

http://www.whitefalls.ca/Descriptions/Mueller%20Hybrid%203-9x40mm%20Long%20Eye%20Relief.htm