PDA

View Full Version : Any comments for Skinner/peep sights for lever?

Petamocto
09-23-2019, 06:14 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Skinner peep sights for levers?

Over the weekend I shot my Henry 44 Mag lever at an "Anything but AR" match, and I found the horn-based rear sights that it came with to be garbage. I've never noticed a problem before, but I've only ever shot them at 50 and less so I always hit everything, but at the competition they had gongs at the 100-200 range and I only hit about half.

Some people there recommended Skinner peep sights, which are not only better because they're a full circle instead of the buckhorn, they install all the way back on the receiver and not on the barrel, so you get a much longer axis between the rear and front.

The Henry I have is just the regular black one, not the brass one, but I think they're all the same in terms of mounting holes.

I would appreciate any input on these ones or any other brand of lever rear sights, please.

They come as a replacement (I do not want this)

Or the rear receiver mount option (I am leaning toward this)

t_glover
09-23-2019, 06:19 AM
I have a Skinner Sight on an 1895 marlin 45/70.
I find I am way more accurate with it than the original sight.

Petamocto
09-23-2019, 06:50 AM
Do you have the receiver mount or just the barrel replacement?

Any advice on where to buy?

Rynnik
09-23-2019, 07:12 AM
I have a couple of the skinner aperture sights and love them. I have both barrel mounted version (on a takedown) and the receiver mounted version experience and I think they are excellent. It didn't take me long to go back and get some of the additional aperture sizes as well - incredibly handy to have options depending on the application.

I order mine directly from the skinner website with no problems and delivered very promptly even though, yes, the shipping costs suck.

t_glover
09-23-2019, 07:16 AM
I have the receiver mount. The barrel mount would not work for my 59 year old eyes.

Terry

Bittereinder
09-23-2019, 09:24 AM
I have a Skinner peep on my old Marlin 39a. The holes to mount it line up perfectly with the tapped scope holes. I find it much easier to use than the buckhorn rear sight, which I just removed.

I'm using the original bead brass front sight, with the hood removed. I found the hood kind of distracting in my sight picture with the peep. Skinner recommends a narrower, blade front sight to get the most out of the peep, but I haven't yet found a blade short enough to match the low bead I have. Anyway, the bead works well enough and for all I know it may even be better for me. I like having the bright brass dot in the middle of the sight picture.

Off a bench with bulk ammo, I can get 2" groups at 50 yards with the peep. So, good enough for a plinker. I may even try it on grouse or squirrels at closer distances.

Rory McCanuck
09-23-2019, 12:06 PM
I'm reasonably sure you aren't going to hear anyone say anything bad about Skinner sights.
I've never heard anything but people being ecstatic with their products.
As for receiver sights in general, I'm a big believer.

lone-wolf
09-23-2019, 03:45 PM
My 9422m will eventually get a tang sight, the only reason I haven't gotten a skinner sight for it was that I want the old school look of a tang one.

Petamocto
09-23-2019, 04:13 PM
I've taken all of your positive reviews as a good sign and ordered a set.

I had to do it by phone because I couldn't get their PayPal link to work, and I'm also getting a new front post and a steel insert to replace the old rear horns.

The only thing I didn't order was a different aperture size. I'm okay with the average size one for now. Review to follow to close the loop.

Petamocto
09-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Sorry to add another post: If anyone is interested in doing the same, the order came out to $140 USD.

1 x Express Big Boy brass $95, just black was $90, gold and black was $110)

1 x Front post 1/2- .650 blue $18

1 x blank vint blue $8 (this is the little metal insert that replaces the horn sight on the barrel).

Shipping is $19 US, which seems excessive for a small item, but I'm hoping it's worth it in the big picture.

I don't think I'll need the front post, but I'd rather order it now and not need it than find out I do need it and then have to wait more time and pay another large shipping fee.

lone-wolf
09-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Does skinner sell on browells? Might of been cheaper shipping.

Petamocto
09-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Not sure. I've yet to cross the line into Brownell's.

That said, ordering from the actual company was helpful because they recommended the insert for the horn removal.

Grimlock
09-26-2019, 07:03 AM
Does skinner sell on browells? Might of been cheaper shipping.

I think I saw them on there recently. It was one of the sights made by a small outfit.

Petamocto
10-06-2019, 09:02 AM
I got the order and the good news is that the sight itself is great quality and the sight picture is infinitely better and more useful.

The Henry receiver screws were a pain to get out, and after bending the tips on many small screwdrivers and not fitting a few large ones, I was lucky enough to find a goldilocks one that popped them loose.

The only thing from Skinner I'm not happy with is the insert I paid for that's supposed to fill the hole left by the old bullhorns.

It is so poorly designed that I can't help but think they've sent me the wrong one (trying to get a hold of them but it's the weekend).

On the phone they said the hole was an eyesore and their insert made it flush, but the insert is so gigantic that it's more of an eye sore than the hole.

Worse, the edges are sharp so it's horribly uncomfortable to have your off hand running over them. It's very confusing, but I took it out.

Do they expect me to file it down or something? If so, that seems very lazy on their part, and they certainly didn't suggest anything like that.

The main part was the sight itself and I'm very happy with it.

Rory McCanuck
10-06-2019, 10:24 AM
The only thing from Skinner I'm not happy with is the insert I paid for that's supposed to fill the hole left by the old bullhorns.

It is so poorly designed that I can't help but think they've sent me the wrong one (trying to get a hold of them but it's the weekend).

On the phone they said the hole was an eyesore and their insert made it flush, but the insert is so gigantic that it's more of an eye sore than the hole.

Worse, the edges are sharp so it's horribly uncomfortable to have your off hand running over them. It's very confusing, but I took it out.

Do they expect me to file it down or something? If so, that seems very lazy on their part, and they certainly didn't suggest anything like that.

The main part was the sight itself and I'm very happy with it.

Seriously, do you even think before you start bitching?
How in the hell are they going to make an insert to fit your specific gun?
What if your dovetail was machined 5 thou too deep, now you'd have a big ridge.

You have a round barrel, if your insert were round, how the f*** would you drive it in?
Your punch would slip off , hit your barrel and mar the finish, and you'd be bitching they destroyed your gun's finish.

Yes, you are supposed to file it down.
Take the forearm off, you don't want to file it down.
Wrap the barrel in leather or a towel and clamp it in a vice.
Put masking tape along all 4 sides of the dovetail to protect the barrel's finish.
File away until you get down to the tape.
If you feel brave and confident in your newfound filing skills, take the tape off so it doesn't plug the file, and continue down the few more thou until the dovetail is flush.

Or, just take to a gusmith.

Petamocto
10-06-2019, 12:37 PM
There are all sorts of other solutions, the easiest being a small drilled in part to fit your punch and then some sort of small cap that fits in there.

Another simpler option. Would be to just make it out of rubber or some other similar material that just slides into place with enough friction to hold it.

Selling something that requires filing and then blueing is dumb.

Grimlock
10-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Welcome to "gunsmithing" rather than "assembling parts and calling it a 'build'".

Camo tung
10-06-2019, 02:26 PM
If you know a machinist they might be able to modify a woodruff key to fit. Still involves fitting and finishing but if it gives the more finished look you're after...

Petamocto
10-26-2019, 02:00 PM
I shot it for the first time today. Amazing sight picture and infinitely easier to acquire than the bull horns, but unfortunately it was 8" high at 50m.

I have to now install the taller front sight post, and then grind it down until it's right, but unfortunately I'll lose the nice brass bead that comes with the Henry one.

If it were just a few inches high I'd be fine with it and say that it's probably close to on at 100m, but 8" high at 50m is crazy.

Overall, not impressed. The quality is great, but Skinner should make the rear peep significantly lower.

Lee Enfield
10-26-2019, 02:32 PM
OH HOLY CRAP..here we go again!! Endless b*tching and complaining and if the manufacturer doesn't respond and offer to slit their wrists more bitching and complaining! Endless from this poster!

IT'S CALLED KARMA AND WELL DESERVED!!

Stew
10-26-2019, 02:46 PM
LOL, have you even looked at The Skinner site Petamocto ? they show a pic of the dovetail plug, looks exactly like yours, you might have checked, they also recommend a higher front sight and actually sell them

road kill
10-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Looks like Petamacto ordered a higher front sight in his original order. Holy crap the bitching about bitching. ;D;D :Beer time:

Petamocto
10-27-2019, 06:07 AM
Stew, I did order one, my my point is that it seems dumb to make the rear peep sight the way they do if they know it's so high that it will require a different front sight. Just make the rear sight lower, or here's an idea: adjustable.

Camo tung
10-27-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm using a period Lyman peep on a 1948 336 SC with no issues as far as elevation is concerned. No dicking around with the front sight whatsoever.

Rory McCanuck
10-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Just make the rear sight lower, or here's an idea: adjustable.

Just an idea, loosen the setscrew in the side and screw the aperature down into the sight?

lone-wolf
10-27-2019, 12:16 PM
Unless it's a side mount, it's gonna be real hard to mount a receiver sight to use the same height front sight as a barrel mounted rear sight.
You got a base and screws that the rear aperature has to clear.

Honestly never heard of any aftermarket receiver sights that can do it, aside from the side mounted ones.

Petamocto
10-29-2019, 07:07 AM
The more I think about it, the more I don't want to replace the Henry front with a simple tall metal post that I have to file down until it's zeroed.

Before I do that, I'm going to try to Jerry rig a couple different bead options on top of the Henry front post that is already there.

It will definitely add some height, but it won't exactly be super sturdy unless I weld something on.

I'll post back my results when I get a chance, but it won't be for a while because my weekends are now focused on hunting.

Mark-II
10-29-2019, 08:26 AM
I've tried those sights, but for whatever reason I never really liked them. They are unlovely and chunky, then there's the guesswork of figuring out how much front sight you need, which leads to follow up orders or buying bits you don't need to get the bit that you do; the costs adding up.

I prefer the Lyman or Williams receiver sights, or did do before the days of everything having to have a scope :(

Gunrunner
10-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Have one on my stainless Taylor Alaskan Takedown (16" bbl) in 44 Mag.
This is a gun where a scope would be as out of place as a turd in a swimming pool.
It's the only iron sight I can use effectively with my 3 score and 10 eyesight.
Dead on at 20-50 yds for black bear hunting/defense which is what I use it for.

Gunrunner
10-29-2019, 08:50 AM
There are all sorts of other solutions, the easiest being a small drilled in part to fit your punch and then some sort of small cap that fits in there.

Another simpler option. Would be to just make it out of rubber or some other similar material that just slides into place with enough friction to hold it.

Selling something that requires filing and then blueing is dumb.

Yup, it was really tough.
Took all of 15 minutes and I was having a "senior" day.;)

Gunrunner
10-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Dovetail filler inserts I've installed started life a little bigger than the dovetail slot on the gun.
Running the base over a flat file and trying it for fit until it was a bit snug and then tapping in with a hammer and flat nose brass punch was all that was required.
You filed the base of the filler plug NOT the gun.

lone-wolf
10-29-2019, 04:36 PM
The more I think about it, the more I don't want to replace the Henry front with a simple tall metal post that I have to file down until it's zeroed.

You can likely order a marbles(or some other manufacturer) bead front sight whatever height you need.
My winchester 9422 has a hooded front sight, eventually I'll be putting a tang sight on the rifle so I can keep the front sight, plus it's pretty classy looking.

Camo tung
10-29-2019, 06:22 PM
You can likely order a marbles(or some other manufacturer) bead front sight whatever height you need.
My winchester 9422 has a hooded front sight, eventually I'll be putting a tang sight on the rifle so I can keep the front sight, plus it's pretty classy looking.

He would still have to experiment to get an acceptable POI at his shooting distance before settling on a permanent front pin. If he changes any of his load parameters it could change his POI. For all of those reasons I like the side-mounted peep I'm using. So much easier to dial in a change than having to experiment with a new front post or remembering to hold over (or under).

lone-wolf
10-29-2019, 06:40 PM
He would still have to experiment to get an acceptable POI at his shooting distance before settling on a permanent front pin. If he changes any of his load parameters it could change his POI. For all of those reasons I like the side-mounted peep I'm using. So much easier to dial in a change than having to experiment with a new front post or remembering to hold over (or under).

Skinner rear sights are windage and elevation adjustable

Petamocto
10-29-2019, 07:12 PM

Holy crap, you may actually be right. If so, I owe you some drinks.

kennymo
10-29-2019, 07:19 PM

https://youtu.be/j_1fshPcsfg

The few I’ve seen were adjustable just like this one. Loosen one set screw for windage, loosen the other one to adjust the peep up and down via threading it in or out of the sight block. Just like adjusting the front sight on an SKS, but with set screws.

Rory McCanuck
10-29-2019, 07:19 PM
Source? I'm not so sure. .
Seriously?

Just an idea, loosen the setscrew in the side and screw the aperature down into the sight?

http://www.skinnersights.com/frequently_asked_questions_21.html
QUESTION: How do I adjust my sight?

Elevation is adjusted by loosening the lock screw on the right hand side and turning the aperture stem up or down on its threads, then locking it in place with the screw.

Windage (on models with dovetailed windage slides and Barrel Mounts) is adjusted by loosening the lock screw on top, then moving the dovetail left or right, (may require tapping with a brass punch) then locking back in place with the lock screw.

NOTE: Always move the rear sight in the direction you want to move bullet impact on the target. (example: You are shooting to the left, move the rear sight to the right. You are shooting low, move the aperture stem up.

Camo tung
10-29-2019, 10:39 PM

So he's had the right stuff all along? Is he using an embarrassed face emoji yet lol?

Petamocto
10-30-2019, 07:24 AM
I didn't think mine was adjustable, because it is not the same as the one you see on my top post.

That one has the separate black and gold pieces, and I didn't buy that one, I just bought the one that is a solid piece of metal and doesn't have the side-side part.

However, mine does have the little screw on the side that allowed me to screw it in ever so slightly.

It may have only gone down 1mm (if that), but hopefully that translates to something more useful than 8" high at 50m.

If that 1mm gets me something like 3-4" high at 50m, I can work with that.

I'm now confused as to why Skinner didn't mention the adjustability in their original response.

Rory McCanuck
10-30-2019, 10:19 AM
To make the rough numbers easy:
Front and rear sights, 24" apart, target 150 feet away, 1:75
Move sight down 1mm times 75 should equal a 75mm drop at the target.
If your sight radius is shorter, there will be more drop.

For a front sight, a William's Firesight is a wonderful thing.
They have many different heights to chose from.
Not great for precision shooting, but for snap shooting, just put the big red dot on target and away you go.

Petamocto
10-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Rory, much appreciated and I will look into Williams.

I'm okay with the Henry front sight, though, so hopefully moving the rear down a bit fixes my problem enough.

It seems like I may be able to go down farther, but the threaded post of the screw is down as far as it can into the sight base.

That post is very long, though, and if I'm able to take 1-2mm off of that, I should be able to get the round part of the peep right down flush with the base (it's still about 1mm off it, but it won't go any farther).

kennymo
10-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Make sure that the post is actually bottoming out and you haven’t just run out of threads on the shaft of the peep sight. Won’t matter how much you file off the bottom at that point, it’s time to die. (as in tap & die)