PDA

View Full Version : Eotech Battery life

Canuck
04-15-2012, 12:54 PM
For those of you using Eotechs, how is your battery life? Also, do you remove your batteries when not in use? I seem to go through a lot of batteries on my Eotech 511.A65. I have to admit a couple of times I left them on so my bad. I now double check when putting the rifle away but they still don't seem to last that long. I was thinking maybe I should remove the batteries when I don't use it. What do you guys do and how is your battery life?

Miraclejoe
04-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Battery life is notoriously bad for EOTechs. If it is a problem for you I recommend switching to a different system.

Canuck
04-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Battery life is notoriously bad for EOTechs. If it is a problem for you I recommend switching to a different system.

Such as? What would you recommend?

50calshooter
04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Aimpont CompM4,

I did a write up on one in the optics forum...

Battery life with Aimpoint is ridiculous, it's 10's of thousands of hours...

Miraclejoe
04-15-2012, 07:43 PM
I would recommend a CompM4, but I have never shot with one.

I am quite fond of my Aimpoint T1 Micro and ACOG TA31. The ACOG doesn't need batteries at all.

50calshooter
04-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Yeah for Batteries, Aimpoint for no batteries, Trijicon...

mlehto
04-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Sorry but I love the Eotech reticle, and unobstructed field of view.

Too many things hanging off of the Aimpoints, and Trijicons.

The 1 MOA dot with a magnifier also provides much better accuracy potentioal over the Aimpoints typical 2/4 MOA dot.

If you are spending Trijicon money, then the TR24 1-4 is as nice a scope as money can buy, but not for the same application.

50calshooter
04-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Oh Agreed, I've run EoTech sights before and they are a performer for sure.. But in this context (batt. life) It falls short...

Canuck
04-15-2012, 08:51 PM

The 1 MOA dot with a magnifier also provides much better accuracy potentioal over the Aimpoints typical 2/4 MOA dot.

Agree. That is what drew me to the Eotechs in the first place. I love my Aimpoint 3x with the Eotech. I have a newer version on a different rifle, the Eotech XPS2. It uses a different battery and has an automatic shutoff, 2 or 4 hours depending on which button you used to turn it on. For forgetful guys like me that has been a lifesaver. Batteries last longer.
The price difference betweeen an Aimpoint and an Eotech equals a lot of batteries. Guess i will stick with the Eotech and keep on bringing extras in my gun box. I do wonder though, for guys who depend on them with their lives, if they can trust their batteries to make it through a firefight without giving out. Anyone have any experience in that way?

50calshooter
04-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Agree. That is what drew me to the Eotechs in the first place. I love my Aimpoint 3x with the Eotech. I have a newer version on a different rifle, the Eotech XPS2. It uses a different battery and has an automatic shutoff, 2 or 4 hours depending on which button you used to turn it on. For forgetful guys like me that has been a lifesaver. Batteries last longer.
The price difference betweeen an Aimpoint and an Eotech equals a lot of batteries. Guess i will stick with the Eotech and keep on bringing extras in my gun box. I do wonder though, for guys who depend on them with their lives, if they can trust their batteries to make it through a firefight without giving out. Anyone have any experience in that way?

Good question, I hope some of our service men will chime in on that subject.. Currently it's all Aimpoint and Trijicon in the US military, or so it seems anyway...

Diesel
04-18-2012, 06:31 AM
If you want to stay with EOTech switch to an XPS seres sight, battery life is greatly improved. I ditched my 512s due to battery drain while turned off, since going to the XPS I've not had any issues.

Miraclejoe
04-18-2012, 11:33 AM
If I went downrange again, I would put iron sights on my rifle before putting an EOTech.

The size of the dot is not relevant, IMHO, for the range the system is intended to be used at.

And this is from a guy who thought he was pretty cool on tour using a custom painted EOtech.

Canuck
04-18-2012, 11:55 AM
If you want to stay with EOTech switch to an XPS seres sight, battery life is greatly improved. I ditched my 512s due to battery drain while turned off, since going to the XPS I've not had any issues.

Yes, my latest is in the XPS series and it lasts much longer! Also has automatic shutoff.

Satain
04-28-2012, 01:18 PM
New EoTech's aren't that bad but if you have it on for more than 3 days I am sure that some time you will find a way to take the time to change the batteries. As these optic's are ment for speed of aquizition of high target rich enviroments. Hence why some people like apples compared to oranges.
P.S. Ever wonder why there is a rage of spare battery compartments from accessories manufactore?

hercster
01-01-2014, 05:20 PM

If you are spending Trijicon money, then the TR24 1-4 is as nice a scope as money can buy, but not for the same application.

You might be just the guy to help me. I have an Eotech XPS that works reasonably well for some applications but not others as the reticle is fuzzy to me because I have astigmatism. This is very common with Holo sights so I use another scope for more precise shooting. The Eotech is OK for Steel Challenge and is very fast.

I was wondering if the diopter adjustment on the magnifier would help when shooting at longer distances. Does it help you focus and get those little squirrels in then reticle to behave better?