PDA

View Full Version : 9MM Ammo Recommendation/Suggestions?

metalninja
12-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for your recommendations regarding ammo for my Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 - 9MM. This is my first purchase and I don't know what brand and gr of ammo is good. No Steel ammo (Not Allowed at Target Sports Range).

Looking at the following options: :run:

- https://www.gotenda.com/shop/ammunition/bulk-ammo/sellier-bellot-9mm-124gr-bulk-of-1000-rds/
- https://www.gotenda.com/shop/ammunition/bulk-ammo/cci-blazer-brass-9mm-124gr-fmj-bulk-of-1000case/
- https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/cci-blazer-brass-9mm-124gr-fmj-case-of-1000.html#.XgUItkdKhPY

Any other deals/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ;D

lone-wolf
12-26-2019, 01:49 PM
You're not going to have any issues with any of that

lone-wolf
12-26-2019, 01:51 PM
I bought this, cheapest I've seen but I haven't looked hard. Purchased because it was where I was making a rifle purchase anyways.
I would like CCI or S&B but this stuff is going bang as it should so far

https://www.rangeviewsports.ca/product/remington-umc-9mm-luger-115gr-fmj-500rds/

kennymo
12-26-2019, 03:32 PM
My M&P40 eats everything I throw at it. Mostly CCI Blaser in both brass and aluminum case and a good amount of American Eagle. The S&B ammunition I’ve tried has been fine.

Swingerguy
12-26-2019, 07:00 PM
I have shot several thousand s&b in my m&p 9. No issues, I’ve had no issues with any ammo really. I’ve shot lots of blazer brass and aluminum as well as some steel cased stuff. I have also shot tons of reloads, both mine and factory reloads.

Justice
12-28-2019, 11:28 AM
You really need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your pistol shoots best. The price means nothing. Do not buy any ammo in bulk until you have tried a box.
Feeding and going 'bang' reliably is rarely an issue with any factory ammo.
Steel ammo means steel jacketed. There is steel cased, which isn't the same thing, too. Mind you, steel cased can have steel jackets. The other type is "Bi-Metal" which is copper plated steel jacketed.
It's best to buy ammo(and reloading components when you get that far. Yes, you will.) locally. So where you actually are matters somewhat. Buying ammo on-line gets expensive in a hurry. The shipping, the cost of which is set by the carrier not the seller, will negate any cost savings. Government thinks ammo is a hazardous good too.

Stew
12-28-2019, 11:46 AM
any bulk commercial ammo will likely run fine, you may want to try different weights (115, 124, 147 gr) and find what works best for you and/or gun

Camo tung
12-29-2019, 07:44 AM
any bulk commercial ammo will likely run fine, you may want to try different weights (115, 124, 147 gr) and find what works best for you and/or gun

^This. Bullet weight will have a greater impact that any minute differences between commercial grade ammo will. A pistol may prefer 124 grain while a Sub2000 may prefer 115. Try a box of each and see.

Grimlock
12-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Just about anything with a brass case should work fine. Avoid the Sumbro garbage that showed up for a while. Your sights likely came calibrated for 124 gr.

Stew
12-29-2019, 03:23 PM
I ran 3 hundred rounds of steel case Winchester through my S&W SD9 without any problems, Cabela's has 1000/$199 right now, tempting just for backup

barkerlakebob
06-27-2020, 08:01 PM
I just purchased a S&W M&P 9mm 2.4

After a bit of research, I am going to try Remington 9mm 124 gr and Blazer 9mm 115 gr - to compare performance.

How much difference in the performance of factory loads alum. versus brass cases is there - if any ?

linung
06-27-2020, 10:14 PM
I would not go with Remington. I reload and I have issues with their brass.

but definitely feel free to give their ammo a try. However you might want to do it a little differently.
Like get Remington 115gr, 124gr, and 148 gr or get several different brands of the same weight.

You can compare them for accuracy, consistency, and reliability. Or just to see which one you like better.

barkerlakebob
06-27-2020, 11:51 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

cdt1968
06-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Hi there, FWIW I would suggest that you stay away from any steel cased ammo like Maxx. I have 3 Smith & Wesson M&P's and they did not perform well with this kind. (1 Pro Series C.O.R.E 5", 1 Pro Series C.O.R.E. 4.25", and 1 M&P 9 4.25"). After about 50 rounds or so they would fail to feed (FTF) and fail to eject (FTE). This cost me about a minute in an IDPA match. I have never had any issues with brass or aluminum cases.

barkerlakebob
06-30-2020, 04:11 PM
Very informative...……...thank you !!

Justice
07-30-2020, 11:34 AM
"...to compare performance..." That's exactly what you need to do. Every firearm prefers different ammo. So since you're not reloading yet, you need to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your pistol shoots best. Cycling is unlikely to be an issue, but that matters too.
Steel case ammo is usually low end milsurp(not all milsurp is low end though. IVI, if you can find any, is low end ammo for accuracy, but the cases and its reliability are not.) and at least some if not all steel is berdan primed. As in not reloadable even if steel was reloadable. It's not. It can be hard on extractors as well.
Al is not reloadable. Of course, there's brass cased Blazer as well as Al cased. No difference, if your pistol likes it.
Factory ammo gets expensive in a hurry too.

Lee Enfield
07-30-2020, 07:15 PM
If you search you can find 9mm for under .30 cents a round before tax, hard to beat for brass cased.