PDA

View Full Version : Any Flintlock Rifle Builders in Canada?

2012Cvoguy
03-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Are there any left? I have a bad hankering for a poor boy design rocklock squirrel rifle. I know I can get one sent up across the line without too much hassle, just would like to support a Canuck Artisan if possible and without waiting 3 years......

I know the stock on this one looks like its been saturated in a hundred years of gun oil but it is exactly the look I'm after, not fond of the gingerbread I see on most.....

My google fu isn't that good today and I'm fairly lost in the world of BP let alone who builds but I do know I want a flinter.

Waterloomike
03-26-2020, 04:08 PM
I'll get back to you.

2012Cvoguy
03-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Right on, Thank You!

Just downloaded the catalog from Track of the Wolf and ordered 3 books. Little more to these Flinters than I imagined, pretty cool........

Suputin
03-27-2020, 11:23 AM
Do you have any muzzle loader experience? A flintlock is not the best way to start muzzle loaders. They can be finicky and annoying.

I had a Jaeger style fainter built by a guy in Lethbridge a bunch of years ago. No idea if he is still around. He did a decent if not spectacular job for a reasonable price.

lone-wolf
03-27-2020, 11:24 AM
Good luck in the search, I'm not into BP currently, but I definitely see the appeal.

Suputin
03-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Ya gotta try it, its quite fun. Slow but good fun when the rifle goes BOOOOOOOOOM! and big cloud of smoke. BP on steel is good fun because the huge projectiles make a nice CLANGGG.

2012Cvoguy
03-27-2020, 01:37 PM
Do you have any muzzle loader experience? A flintlock is not the best way to start muzzle loaders. They can be finicky and annoying.

Zero BP experience but I like jumping in the deep end and there is so much to read out there...... I figure a true top end lock coupled with a White Lightnin' vent liner coupled with swamped barrel could help alleviate some of the ignition stuff but I have tons to learn.

Good luck in the search, I'm not into BP currently, but I definitely see the appeal.

Thank You! BP has been picking at me for years. I always used the excuse that there is no special season provisions in BC for hunting but whatever, it'll be fun to have at the cabin with the kids....

Ya gotta try it, its quite fun. Slow but good fun when the rifle goes BOOOOOOOOOM! and big cloud of smoke. BP on steel is good fun because the huge projectiles make a nice CLANGGG.

Truly looking forward to it, almost pulled the trigger on a Traditions from Cabelas but for a Flintlock me thinks that it better be quality kit. One of the few times that the 'I want it now' has been overcome with patience to do it correctly.... The Pedersoli line is still chirping at me tho..... ;-)

kennymo
03-27-2020, 01:53 PM
If I was going flintlock....well, there’s a firearm that’s always fascinated me...

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/new_blunderbuss.htm

Waterloomike
03-27-2020, 03:49 PM
American Long Rifles (https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=926bdef9443cc1d9d13fcc8325b169 b1&board=2.0)

One of or perhaps the most prominent builders on there is Canadian. His name is D. Taylor Aspergia (IIRC). Fantastic forum for anything flint related.

2012Cvoguy
03-27-2020, 06:00 PM
American Long Rifles (https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=926bdef9443cc1d9d13fcc8325b169 b1&board=2.0)

One of or perhaps the most prominent builders on there is Canadian. His name is D. Taylor Aspergia (IIRC). Fantastic forum for anything flint related.

A tip of the hat to you Good Sir! Thank You Much for the intel........

linung
03-27-2020, 07:21 PM
bow to my googlefu!!

http://www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

they're in Ottawa.

$699 plus HST/GST for most of the stuff. Some stuff only have USD...

Suputin
03-27-2020, 08:17 PM
Zero BP experience but I like jumping in the deep end and there is so much to read out there...... I figure a true top end lock coupled with a White Lightnin' vent liner coupled with swamped barrel could help alleviate some of the ignition stuff but I have tons to learn.

Like motorcycles, it is best to start muzzle loading w a beginner's model. Pick up a cheapo Lyman cap-lock and make all the mistakes with that. Then once you've got some time in, then go for the nice flintlock.

Grimlock
03-28-2020, 07:01 AM
Like motorcycles, it is best to start muzzle loading w a beginner's model. Pick up a cheapo Lyman cap-lock and make all the mistakes with that. Then once you've got some time in, then go for the nice flintlock.

I don't ride bikes because I'd be dead in a week, although I still have lots of fun on 250 cc snowmobiles. I'm assuming these beginner problems include spending hours extracting misfires. I've held a Baker rifle, and of course immediately wanted one because Ned Stark. That will have to wait until I have more time.

Waterloomike
03-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Since the word beginner appears in the text, may I offer some beginner tips for those that search and find this thread that are beginners?

When using a black powder barrel, flintlock or otherwise, NEVER USE ANYTHING BUT BLACK POWDER!!!

Read the barrel specs completely.

Don't talk on the line when loading a black powder gun. Always pay the strictest of attention to every single thing you do! ( I have a ruined $300 barrel to prove it.!)

I have owned both black powder and smokeless powder muzzle loaders. I love the smell of black powder anytime of day or night.

What else delivers two flames and an explosion you can hold and use?

Suputin
03-28-2020, 10:29 AM
I don't ride bikes because I'd be dead in a week, although I still have lots of fun on 250 cc snowmobiles. I'm assuming these beginner problems include spending hours extracting misfires.

There are numerous ways you can damage a muzzle loader. It just takes a bit to learn the intricacies and subtleties of muzzle loaders.