PDA

View Full Version : time for a new book, whats evrybody reading now, and past favorites

BuckingFastard
04-15-2012, 11:09 PM
So in need of a new book, any suggestions? particulary something new & not something that has 20 sequels, been down that road and come winter ill walk down it again

Redhouse
04-15-2012, 11:38 PM
If you like WWII historical fiction, Winds of War (1971) and its follow up War and Remembrance (1978), by Herman Wouk are fantastic. I'm just finishing rereading the first one, for about the 4th time. Wouk is my favourite 20th century author.

Sorry, that's not 'new'. Water For Elephants was a lousy movie but a stunningly good book.

BuckingFastard
04-16-2012, 01:20 AM
No worries, that's perfect haven't read them. Johnny got his gun is my all time favorite so these should fit the bill nicely

Skeetgunner
04-16-2012, 07:28 AM
If you're into graphic novels, the BONE series by Jeff Smith is worth a look. Its also suitable for teens and tweens. It does have 9 sequels, but it can be had in one massive book too.

mlehto
04-16-2012, 07:33 AM
One of the most captivating books I have ever read was, "The Ice Man; Confessions Of A Mafia Hitman"

It is the story of Richard Kuklinsky who was a hitman for the NY crime families in the 70's, and the book details his years working for the various mafia bosses in NY and NJ.

Pretty hardcore book, but I couldn't put it down!

I just recently picked up another book from the same author called "Gas Pipe; Confessions Of A Mafia Boss" but haven't started it yet.

MikeyT
04-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm currently working my way through Derek Robinson's series on the RFC and RAF in WW1 and WW2. Excellent reading.

jwirecom109
04-16-2012, 07:58 AM
I read the RA Salvatore series about Drizzt, Fantasy novel.

KDX
04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Maybe not what you're looking for because there are several books in the series but Chung Kuo by David Wingrove is pretty good. It's been described as a cross between Shogun and Blade Runner.

Chung Kuo means ‘Middle Kingdom’, and since 221 bc, when the first emperor Ch’in Shih Huang Ti, unified the seven Warring States, it is what the Han, or Chinese, have called their great country.

For them Chung Kuo was the whole world; a world bounded by insurmountable mountain chains to the north and west, by the sea to east and south. Beyond lay only desert and barbarism.

And so it was for two thousand years, through sixteen great dynasties.

But then, from the far west came young, aggressive nations with superior weaponry and an unshakable belief in progress and change. It was, to the surprise of the Han, an unequal contest and China’s myth of supreme strength and self-sufficiency was shattered.

By the early twentieth century, China was the sick old man of the East, the future, it was assumed, belonged to the West. But from the disastrous ravages of the century grew a giant of a nation, capable of competing with the West from a position of incomparable strength.

The twenty-first century, ‘the Pacific Century’ as it was known even before it began, saw China become once more a world unto itself, but this time its only boundary was space.

This is the story of what happens next...

Life will revolve around the ‘World of Levels’: a rigidly hierarchical society where success and prestige is measured by how far above the ground one lives. Some – in the Above – live in ornate comfort, basing their lives on the customs of imperial China. Others – in the Lowers – live in crowded squalor, and beneath them – Below the Net – lie the basement levels where the luckless and the criminal have been cast down and left to rot. Yet worse still, beneath the City lie the ruins of old Earth, ‘the Clay’, built over by the Han – a lightless, stygian hell in which, astonishingly, humans still exist.

Skirting the cities are vast plantations manned with indentured labourers, huge pens of genetically engineered, grub-like meat animals – while in Earth’s few remaining mountain fastnesses dissidents and rebels build their fortresses...

Far above all this, in geostationary orbit, float the palaces of the Seven – the planet’s hereditary rulers. Beyond their exquisite finery lie the commercial research bases of Mars, and in deep space, the industrial outer colonies, and, perhaps, mankind’s destiny...

Spanning nearly 200 years, CHUNG KUO is a monumental history of the future told through the eyes of a cast of hundreds, drawn from all levels of society: triad bosses and assassins, emperors and artists, courtesans and soldiers, scientists and thieves, terrorists and princes.

At the very heart of their stories lies the ‘War of Two Directions’ – a struggle for the destiny of mankind. For the Seven the goal is stability and security – at the expense of individual freedoms if necessary – while a commercially-orientated faction desires change and the uncharted challenge of the new – even though loosening constraints on a overpopulated planet could be lethal. Political tensions between the two factions will lead to assassination, biological and nano-technological terrorism, and ultimately to war.

The War of Two Directions is much more than the simple clash of East and West. The world will have to choose between Change or Stasis. The safety of the Past or the uncertainty of the Future? Inwardness or Outwardness? Darkness or Light? Connection or Separation? These choices, like the perpetual yin and yang of the Tao itself, form the mighty threads from which the epic tapestry of CHUNG KUO has been woven.

http://chung-kuo.net/

Redhouse
04-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Speaking of Shogun, Clavell's stuff is worth reading too. If you go in order, it gives a chronological account of Europe in Japan and China and, mainly, Hong Kong.

BrotherRockeye
04-16-2012, 05:41 PM
One of my all time faves is "I Tom Horn" by Will Henry... your avatar would enjoy it.
Also, "Breaking smith's Quarter Horse" is an enjoyable read.

chuckbuster
04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm rereading "Frontsoldaten" by Stephen G. Fritz. It's a pretty good analysis of why the German soldier fought in World War II, why he fought so well, and why he continued to fight even when he knew all was lost.

Gibbs505
04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Just finished reading "Infantry Brigadier", Major-General Sir Howard Kippenberger's personal account of his service through the Second World War.

Kippenberger, commander of the newly formed 10th NZ Brigade, was born in Ladbrooks, New Zealand in 1897 and served as a private soldier with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force during the First World War. He was badly wounded in the arm just after the battle of the Somme by shrapnel and discharged from the army in April 1917. He became a lawyer in Rangiora during the interwar years and joined the Territorial Force in 1924. At the outbreak of the Second World War he commanded the 20th NZ Battalion from September 1939 until April 1941 where he took over control of 10th NZ Brigade. He assumed command again in June 1941 until the end of the year and then commanded 5th NZ Brigade from January 1942 until June 1943 and again from November 1943 until February 1944. He briefly commanded the New Zealand Division from 30 April until 14 May 1943 and 9 February to 2 March 1944 when he was badly wounded after stepping on a mine. After the war, he became the Editor-in-Chief, New Zealand War Histories from 1947 until his death in 1957.

He is considered one of New Zealands greatest soldiers and his book is still used as a text in militry colleges.

Some photos

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/SSAkiwi/WH2-20Ba026a.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/SSAkiwi/WH2-25BaP017a.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/SSAkiwi/WH2-2Epi-f019b.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/SSAkiwi/WH2Pro09a.jpg

Bullwhip
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
American Sniper by Chris Kyle. Not a bad read, it kind of gives you an insight of the mindset of a SEAL and some of the operations they were involved with in Iraq. However, he allows his wife to interject occasionally which becomes grating, as well as the various operations all lacked detail (because he can't give detail) so they begin to sound the same after a while.

Rule 303
04-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Goshawk Squadron, perhaps?

Strewth
05-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Sci-Fi: "Freehold" by Michael Z Williamson; free E-Book at Baen's Bar, story about Earth falling under the shadow of the U.N., and a colony planet of Libertarians. Earth trumps up an excuse to come "help" the colony. Best anti-war story I've read in a long while.

zulu
05-02-2012, 05:58 PM
"last light of the sun" by Guy gavriel kay. canadian and great! its about vikings and its just very well written

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Will to Live - by Les Stroud (survivorman) is really good. Real life survival accounts of the past 100 years.

superbrad
05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Henry David Thourough - Walden

Joe549
05-03-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm not big on reading, but I really like Iris Johanson novels, in particular the Eve Duncan series.

BrotherRockeye
05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Just finished an Elmer Kelton book called "Lone Star Rising" about the Texas Rangers.
Entertaining read with some historical fact mixed in.
I guess it's actually 3 books together:
The Buckskin Line
Badger Boy
The Way of the Coyote

Edward Teach
05-04-2012, 08:07 PM
It really depends on what you're into...sci fi, fantasy, historical fiction...

I'm currently working my way through the Game of Thrones series.

I also really like Stephen Donaldson as an author and I particularly liked his Gap series, though it was a little raw in places.

BuckingFastard
05-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Ended picking up a few to stimulate the noodle, first off for my non-fiction choice is a two volume set from Tom Cook,
"At the sharp end" Canadians Fighting the great war 1914-1917
"Shock troops" Canadians fight the great war 1917-1918

And for the the inner fantasy geek in me I bought the the fourth book in Christopher Paolini's inheritance cycle, I've read the first three a couple times now so I guess I'll finally know how it ends

Stephen
05-06-2012, 02:41 PM
A song of ice and fire. It becomes a little boring at some points but it is necessary to set up the major events!

Edward Teach
05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Crichton's State of Fear is a good read too.

JeffJames
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I just finished reading Edible & Medicinal Plants of Canada and stored it in my survival pack. Now reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks and it too will be added to the survival kit LOL :D

BuckingFastard
05-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Yes I've read most of max brooks books, there good for a laugh. I'm definetly not on the zombie train. I believe there's a good chance I'll witness some sorta extinction event or pandemic in my lifetime but it will come from disease or chem warfare not the walking dead :)

RobSmith
05-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Currently reading "The Canadian emma gees" I found online.

grugnir
05-19-2012, 11:34 AM
A song of ice and fire. It becomes a little boring at some points but it is necessary to set up the major events!
+1! Saw the series, just got all the books at once, and almost through GoT now. Damn good stuff! :D

KDX
05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I like William Gibson. Start with Neuromancer. He's Canadian also.

effineffer
05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
The Sisters Brothers
not sure of the author,but a good read
Kind of wild west,with lots of crazy twists
GJ

C Broad Arrow
05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Unintended Consequences by John Ross. Just finished Enemies:Foreign and Domestic - Matt Bracken... Both terrific writers who promote the gun culture!

harbl_the_cat
05-25-2012, 11:35 AM
I've been reading the Bible over the past 4 years on and off.

I started sequentially, from the beginning for about a year ago. Lately I've found the best way to put my daughter to sleep is to give her a sippy cup of milk while we listen to a few chapters from the audio Bible app I downloaded for my Black Berry. That's good because since she was born, my reading time has really slowed down.

I'd like to read the KJV translation (I have several), but the NIV I think strikes a good balance of readability and understandability, even though there's some important passages it omits (with a fairly large controversy behind why they were). When I get to a passage that doesn't make sense or that I don't understand in the NIV, I cross reference it with a Strongs Concordance against the KJV.

There's lots of crazy stuff that happens in the Old Testament and whether you're a Christian or not, it's a very interesting read.

Some parts, especially in Leviticus and Numbers, were very hard to get through though because at some points it's nothing but the Mosaic Laws - which is basically like reading a legal document (or a bill passed in Parliament).

It really gets interesting in Joshua onwards though and I'm in 1 Samuel right now. Lots of wars, intrigue, espionage, sex, betrayals, etc.

I'd like to read the Koran when I'm finished the Bible. I have read a few passages in it that are fundamentally important from a theological perspective that I personally can't agree with, but I'd like more context as to what it means as well as to see what Sharia law is actually about (I think it's often grossly misrepresented and exaggerated in the main stream media and by our government).

JustBen
05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm about half way into "The Count of Monte Cristo" and it seems to be a fairly good book so far.

superbrad
05-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Outside of Thoreau, One of my very favorite books of all time is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein... If you don't really like horror that's ok... it really isn't a horror story... it is extremely well written and very very sad...

Seriously, ignore all of the halloween frankenstein costume and horror flick stuff and read the book...

joe-nwt
05-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Dean Koontz has a Frankenstein series out as well and is a good read. I think he's up to 5 in the series so far.

I'm reading the Dark Tower by Stephen King for the 3rd time. It's one story, seven books long. It's complex enough that even 3rd time around, I'm still picking up stuff that I missed the first two times. Highly recommended.

FightingShiba's
05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Just finished Glock:The Rise of America's Gun, by Paul Barrett, it was good. Read a few about climbers on Everest, can't recall the titles of the top of my head. The story by the hiker who had to cut his own hand off was good too, called 127 hours, was great as well. Read a few different ones on the Mafia, and of course the Zombie ones by Max Brooks. Mostly like reading biography/true story type books. Just starting to read on about the Titanic

Redhouse
05-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Stuff about Antarctic exploration around the turn of the 20th century is extremely fascinating to me, expecially the stories of the Shackleton expedition - they got caught in ice floes for 2 or was it 3 years and almost all survived, and of course Scott's race to the pole against the Norweigan Amundsen. Anumdsen got there first using a different strategy, Scott and his party died on the return trip to base. There are numerous books, both compilations and full histories/analyses, that are excellent reads.

I've read a bit about the early North Pole explorers, but the stories aren't nearly as good, unless you want to believe the conspiracy writers who are pretty sure that Robert Peary + Matthew Henson's trip never made it there - that whole story makes for an interesting, but pretty brief, read.

jaydog
05-30-2012, 10:49 PM
In the last few months:
War of the Rats- David Robbins
Pump Six- Paolo Bacigalupi
NurtureShock- Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
Inside of a Dog- Alexandra Horowitz
Maximum Leadership- Charles Farkas and Philippe DeBacker

Not bad for a guy who only reads on the can! :o

awndray
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
As mentioned in another thread:

Having seen this [Shadow Company], I think I might pick up James Ashcroft's books.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Killing-Explosive-Story-Hired/dp/B004J8HXMC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1
http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Baghdad-First-Money-Personal/dp/1905264887/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257331614&sr=1-1

http://www.facebook.com/ashashcroft?ref=profile

Blackbear74
12-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Vince Flynn, The Third Option. It's a part of the Mitch Rapp series. CIA secret operative on terrorism.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S - it's not an iPhone, but it'll do.

Rory McCanuck
12-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Some very good reads.
Ender's Game. by Orson Scott Card. Some of the science fiction in it doesn't seem so incredible now, but it sure did in the 80s.
There are several sequels to this one, but they pale in comparison.

Skystone. By Jack Whyte. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/45309.Jack_Whyte
A historically plausible story about King Arthur.
Disclaimer::::::This is only the first book, and you don't have any idea it even relates to King Arthur. There are 7 or 8 books following it.
Then there is a trilogy, and another two book set after that. A whole bunch of reading, but Whyte is an amazing storyteller, and an amazing researcher.

Jack Whyte has also written a trilogy about the Knights Templar. I've only read the first two so far, but very good. The third should be in paperback now,
and Christmas is just around the corner...

Two very important reads, Winston Churchill's History of the Second World War, and A History of the English-Speaking Peoples.
The second is an entertaining look at how we got here.
History of WW2 is pretty dry; it contains a suprising number of communications he had, with just about everyone of importance at that point in history.
Its very important to remember that it was written immediately after the war, and there were still many things that couldn't be said and secrets that
could still impact the world stage.
Admittedly, I am a fan of Churchill, but his command of the English language can be quite an education in itself.

tigrr
02-16-2013, 11:03 AM
These authors occupy my shelves, presently.
Steven Hunter, his new stuff.
Don Pendleton soon have his entire writtings.
Just acquired collections by, but have never read before-
Dean Koontz
Stephen Coonts
James Axler
Have read everything Piers Anthony wrote.
Some of Farley Mowats
Handlogger Jackson

FlyingHigh
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm starting to read again after having not had enough time in a long while. I've recently started Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley. It's the stories behind the 6 men who were immortalized in the famous flag raising picture taken during the battle of Iwo Jima.

BuckingFastard
02-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Just started "farewell to arms" last night, Looking forward to finishing another Hemingway

Rory McCanuck
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
These authors occupy my shelves, presently.
Don Pendleton soon have his entire writtings.

Hehe Mack Bolan pretty much got me through high school.
Also responsible for me getting a rifle in my favourite chambering.
The 444 Marlin made quite the impression on my 16 yo mind.
Imagine a 240 gr bullet at 2400 fps! Oh my.
Just about turned my head to a "fine red mist." ;)

Strewth
02-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Fiction: John Ringo - Ghost. Very...Conservative view of terrorism. Lots of unPC stuff...