PDA

View Full Version : High powered flashlights

blacksmithden
01-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Well guys, the big one has finally arrived. Man, this thing is well constructed. It puts a comparable size Maglite to shame. The larger batteries that I ordered with it are still on the way, so we had to use the included adapter tubes that allow you to use the lower powered ones. Even at that, I was NOT disappointed at all. The thing EASILY out preforms the high beam headlights on my pickup in brightness, width of field, and total light output. Jon and I went out and did a "flashlight shootout" and shot some video for you guys. That's being uploaded as we speak, and I'll post a link as soon as Jon is done with it. Here's some pics of the light in the mean time. Edit: Videos are now at the bottom of this post.

The unit, fully together

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/IMG-20130126-00697_zps72e7d172.jpg

The 12 x T6 Cree L.E.D. head

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/IMG-20130126-00698_zps8c8492e7.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/IMG-20130126-00699_zps71677f25.jpg

Side view of the head/heat sink

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/IMG-20130126-00700_zpsd98f06b1.jpg

Side view with the extension tube removed - you can run it with only 2 batteries if you want to shorten it up, but it's not as bright.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/IMG-20130126-00701_zps586a53fa.jpg

Side view, with the 3 adapter tubes in view. Those let you use the smaller batteries if you want. I'm glad they're included since I wouldn't
have been able to play with it tonight if they weren't. The normal size rechargeable lithium ion batteries are due in this week.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/IMG-20130126-00702_zpse8494570.jpg

The light together in 2 battery configuration with the extension tube removed

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/blacksmithden/IMG-20130126-00706_zpsad3fb6c1.jpg

Ok guys...that's it for now. I'll post a link to the video once Jon has it uploaded.
Later :D

Edit: Here's our "flashlight shootout". :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtXJZyitRa8

Haywire1
01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
oh sweet jesus, I need that

blacksmithden
01-27-2013, 01:40 AM
I've already ordered more Hay. I'll let you guys know when they're in. I'll be selling them as a kit. Light, batteries, and chargers. Of course, you can get spare batteries if you want. I'll post a final price for stuff once it's in country, in my hands, and Rev Can/Customs has taken their bite out of me. I'm really trying to keep the whole thing as far under $200 as I can. Don't ask how much I've spent on test pieces so far....I just paid my Mastercard off and it wasn't pretty. :( It won't be dinner and a movie for Mrs Blacksmithden for a while....more like popcorn and TV for a while. LOL.

Neil Burke
01-27-2013, 02:43 AM
I'd probably cringe at the run time numbers...

jonanddad
01-27-2013, 02:57 AM

Once we get the real batteries we will do a run test on high and see how long it lasts

Strewth
01-27-2013, 02:59 AM

Yeah.....but still want.

http://i.imgur.com/lm4kk.png

blacksmithden
01-27-2013, 02:59 AM

Once I've got the proper batteries in it, I'll test it out for you and get an exact number. Remember..they've got 3 power settings (plus a strobe and SOS flash setting). If you run it at full throttle, you're going to run out of juice a lot faster than if you run it on medium or low. Remember....it's a hand held flashlight that's cranking out a lot more light than the headlights on a pickup ! Yes, they're going to pull some serious power. LOL ! I like them because, if you want to light up...oh, I don't know...an entire parking lot :rolleyes:...you can.

blacksmithden
01-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Arrrgh. Suppliers can be such a pain. Ask a simple question, and get a million answers back except a straight one. If I take 20 of them, complete with the highest capacity batteries available, I can get them to you guys for $191.66 (that's all taxes in) plus shipping, per kit.....That's the light, 3 lithium ion batteries, and a charger. Sit tight....I'm not done beating on them yet. This might turn into a long night. Broken Chinglish text is not my first language. I wish they spoke Redneck. :D This negotiation brought to you almost live by BSD !!! :D

blacksmithden
01-27-2013, 04:14 AM
Ok. The best I can get us is $178.34 plug GST - $187.26, taxes in, plus shipping to you guys...that will be from Edmonton (if you're local and want to pick it up, that's cool too), to the provinces. I'm going to guess that to be around the $13.00 mark, so basically, the whole thing, to your door, for a flat $200.00. If the shipping turns out to be a little cheaper, I'll adjust the price down by throwing a couple loonies in the box with the light. If it's a little more, I'll eat it...fair enough ?

So.....the question now is, can we get 20 people who want these puppys ? Right now, I'm the only guy in Canada with one that I know of, and I'm going kick all your butts at the flashlight snob contest at camp this summer. :D ROFL !!!!

If I can only get orders for 10, they will be $18.96 more per kit. I'm not asking for the money right now. I want to have the stuff in my hands before I get money from anyone. I don't want anyone being out of pocket just in case something doesn't come in or whatever. For now, I just need to know who would be interested in getting one.

Haywire1
01-27-2013, 04:15 AM
i may, gotta wait for taxes tho

blacksmithden
01-27-2013, 04:46 AM
Ok... Strewth and Hay....I've got you on the list.

FlyingHigh
01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
put me on the list as well. depending on school and finances, i may not be able to make an official purchase until the end of june. if that means i gotta wait for the next run, so be it. but i do need one and will definitely buy one, this shipment or the next. :)

YukonLeftie
01-27-2013, 02:58 PM
That will likely be my bday gift to myself come march. VERY nice.....

EDIT - showed it to my sister and her hubby; they also want one. LOL BSD- Ill PM with our details to iron out shipping costs.

Chalk
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Throw me on the list! I'll pm you when I can pay etc for it, just got to go punch VA in the throat tomorrow then I'll have some spare change to toss at this "permanently in my jeep because having the sun in a flashlight is handy at times." Not to mention you could probably see peoples souls if you hit them with direct exposure.

jonanddad
01-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Throw me on the list! I'll pm you when I can pay etc for it, just got to go punch VA in the throat tomorrow then I'll have some spare change to toss at this "permanently in my jeep because having the sun in a flashlight is handy at times." Not to mention you could probably see peoples souls if you hit them with direct exposure.

sorry thats not true but hell you will go blind for about 30 seconds........ God its bright.....

blacksmithden
01-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Ok guys. Chalk makes 5 accounted for. Good stuff. Keep em coming.

I don't know about seeing their souls, but you would NOT want to shine thing thing in somebodies eyes for more than a second. Instant night vision loss ? Oh yes...there is no doubt about that. Permanent vision loss ???....I don't want to find out. I think it would be something light an arc flash from a welder. Watch it up close for a few seconds, you'll be walking around for half an hour looking at white dots. Any longer than that.....well, just don't try it, ok ?

BuckingFastard
02-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Wow just seem this thread, I'm in for one, are the small 1000 lumen and that monster same manufacture? You mentioned you had them on order if so I'll take one of each

blacksmithden
02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I've got more on order bud. The chargers they sent me wouldn't work with the batteries, so I've ordered different ones from another place. I'm still trying to get everything together for the same price by doing slower shipping and such. Once I have everything physically in my hands, and I'm satisfied that everything is good, I'll know if I've pulled it off or not. In order to charge the batteries I got with the test light, I had to hack apart one of the chargers they sent me and jury rig it together. I'll let you guys know as soon as they're in ,and start shipping them out.

So far, everyone I've showed the big light to has been very impressed with it.

BuckingFastard
02-16-2013, 11:41 PM
No worries I'm patient, hunting season is still around 6 months away :p just kidding folks

blacksmithden
02-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Arrrrgh. Ok...the Nitecore chargers I brought in work, but they're 4 slot chargers, and you can only fit 2 of these bigger batteries in them at a time. ANYWAY.... I've finally started doing the time tests.

I put the light on it's highest setting and let it run until it was down to about the brightness of a 3D cell LED maglight and I got 24 minutes out of it. I'm charging more batteries as I type this. More info to follow.

Update: Medium power from a full charge, until it looked like a 3D cell maglight - 2 hours, 31 minutes

YukonLeftie
03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Bumping the thread, as I got mine today, and HOLY FUTHER OF MUCK. In-Credible power out of this thing!! This weekend when I visit my folks; Ill have my sis make a vid doing a head on comparison between this, and these -
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/486231_10151627529990676_266510889_n.jpg

It should prove most illuminating.

YukonLeftie
03-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Hmmm... I see what you mean, BSD, about the chargers. Wonder why a guy simply couldnt attach a pair of wires to the charge leads to charge all three cells at once?...

blacksmithden
03-27-2013, 12:11 AM
The chargers will put out the power no problem. It's just that they're only physically big enough to accept 2 batteries at a time. It's like they came out with this high powered battery, and didn't bother worrying about charging it. Very frustrating to say the least. For now, that's the only one that I can find that will do the job. A guy could rig up leads to it easy enough if you wanted to make an external charging port.

YukonLeftie
03-27-2013, 12:55 AM
You are gonna either laugh or cry when you see this then...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/484279_10151632626825676_499391751_n.jpg

When I get to my dad's wood working shop; ill simply make a set of dummy batteries with WELL MARKED leads to be able to charge all three batteries at once.

blacksmithden
03-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Hey...it works as well as anything else. The nice thing about those chargers is, they'll charge pretty much any 3.7 volt lithium ion battery with the way the spring slides work on them. Also, the length of your "adapter stick" isn't critical. :)

Strewth
03-27-2013, 08:58 AM
....Soooooo.....ken I haz lightsaber.....?

blacksmithden
03-27-2013, 09:35 AM
....Soooooo.....ken I haz lightsaber.....?

Yes. I have one in stock that isn't accounted for, and more coming. Shoot me a pm man.

Strewth
03-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Ok... Strewth and Hay....I've got you on the list.

*cough* First on the GOC list *cough* ;) PM sent :) Looks like fun!

Satain
03-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Arrrrgh. Ok...the Nitecore chargers I brought in work, but they're 4 slot chargers, and you can only fit 2 of these bigger batteries in them at a time. ANYWAY.... I've finally started doing the time tests.

I put the light on it's highest setting and let it run until it was down to about the brightness of a 3D cell LED maglight and I got 24 minutes out of it. I'm charging more batteries as I type this. More info to follow.

Update: Medium power from a full charge, until it looked like a 3D cell maglight - 2 hours, 31 minutes
Did you see this one?
http://el-top.com/sites/default/files/flashlight-nitecore-mh2c-26.jpg
http://el-top.com/sites/default/files/flashlight-nitecore-mh2c-25.jpg
http://el-top.com/sites/default/files/flashlight-nitecore-mh2c-13.jpg
http://el-top.com/sites/default/files/flashlight-nitecore-mh2c-9.jpg
http://el-top.com/sites/default/files/flashlight-nitecore-mh2c-10.jpg
http://el-top.com/sites/default/files/flashlight-nitecore-mh2c-22.jpg
No charger required.
They also have other ones on there but that 1 is cool and works great with my solar pannel recharging system. I wonder if it could charge my phone???

Strewth
04-02-2013, 06:32 PM
^Depends on the phone, apparently? Some get sticky about the amount of voltage....

Anyhoo, just got the flashlight in the mail, well packaged with charged batteries, many thank yous to Tundra Supplies. My wife and I are both eagerly waiting for it to get dark outside, this thing is ridiculous:cool1:. Also very solidly constructed, to me it feels like a giant Fenix. I'll post a pic of the portable sun later...

Edenchef
04-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Ok, Count me for one, please.

blacksmithden
04-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Ok guys....I've got 3 people on the list again. I'm going to hold off on planting the order for a few days to see if there's anyone else. Got you on the list Edenchef.

Strewth
04-02-2013, 11:53 PM
....Well, I've never really been impressed with flashlight beam pics or videos, except for BSD's comparison to truck lights; and now I know why...that's hard to take a decent picture of! I'll try again tomorrow night maybe, but I think I need a better camera, or maybe on a tripod with no flash...

Anyway, there's a stand of trees in the field next to my house, it's 120 yards away, this thing reaches them easily. Now, my Xenon bulbed 3Dcell Maglite tightened down to spot just reaches them as well...but this monster does it with about a 60 yard wide swath of light and the field between me 'n' the trees is lit up. I'd say it reaches 150 yards brightly; quite silly:) The strobe setting is bananas. Literally. Not to be played with near people driving. Nice positive tailclicky. Remembers the last setting, which is nice.

Huh, this is turning into a review...

Negatives...The head is completely round, so it could roll off a table. The run time on "Sun Spot" setting is probably terrible...but the "low" setting is all you really need out of any flashlight - 150 lumens? Guessing based on my other light's ratings. The "heatsinks" around the head are Buck Rogery, but they're growing on me. I can' t let my boy play with this, he could blind someone, or himself.

...I don't know about durability yet, and I'm not going to destruct test it.... I'm actually probably going to treat this thing pretty nicely, I've got knock around lights. But, it will be coming camping and hunting this year so we'll see how it likes that.

In closing, this is the difference between "pew pew pew" and "FOOOOM". Maybe not so much practical....but by the mother of monkey's milk I will be the sure-fire:) winner of the hunt camp flashlights.

One light to rule them all, and in the darkness blind them....

blacksmithden
04-03-2013, 12:22 AM
....Well, I've never really been impressed with flashlight beam pics or videos, except for BSD's comparison to truck lights; and now I know why...that's hard to take a decent picture of! I'll try again tomorrow night maybe, but I think I need a better camera, or maybe on a tripod with no flash...

Anyway, there's a stand of trees in the field next to my house, it's 120 yards away, this thing reaches them easily. Now, my Xenon bulbed 3Dcell Maglite tightened down to spot just reaches them as well...but this monster does it with about a 60 yard wide swath of light and the field between me 'n' the trees is lit up. I'd say it reaches 150 yards brightly; quite silly:) The strobe setting is bananas. Literally. Not to be played with near people driving. Nice positive tailclicky. Remembers the last setting, which is nice.

Huh, this is turning into a review...

Negatives...The head is completely round, so it could roll off a table. The run time on "Sun Spot" setting is probably terrible...but the "low" setting is all you really need out of any flashlight - 150 lumens? Guessing based on my other light's ratings. The "heatsinks" around the head are Buck Rogery, but they're growing on me. I can' t let my boy play with this, he could blind someone, or himself.

...I don't know about durability yet, and I'm not going to destruct test it.... I'm actually probably going to treat this thing pretty nicely, I've got knock around lights. But, it will be coming camping and hunting this year so we'll see how it likes that.

In closing, this is the difference between "pew pew pew" and "FOOOOM". Maybe not so much practical....but by the mother of monkey's milk I will be the sure-fire:) winner of the hunt camp flashlights.

One light to rule them all, and in the darkness blind them....

Hahaha. Glad you're happy with it buddy. I love mine....and no...they're not something you want to put on strobe and point at the car next to you while driving down the highway ! LOL. I think I put it in an earlier post, but when running full throttle on high, from fully charged batteries, until the light was down to the level of my 3 D cell maglight (with new batteries) was about 24 minutes. Medium setting was 2 1/2 hours. I never did do a run/time test on the low setting. 99.9% of the time, I just use mine on low. The nice thing is, when you're laying under a machine, and there's sun shining down through, blinding you, and you have to see something on the bottom, you can put the light on high, and make out anything. Also...meh...when you want to light up an entire parking lot, you've got it in your hand if you need it.

YukonLeftie
04-03-2013, 12:45 AM
The *ULTIMATE* Intruder catching flashlight.

Chalk
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
One does not simply continue intruding when at 3:05am its daylight around him when not two minutes ago it was pitch black in the house.

Edenchef
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
So Chalk....you mean when they haven't noticed the little red dot dancing in the centre of their chest, yet.......rise n shine!

YukonLeftie
04-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey Den - I do have one person interested - but they want it with a proper charger setup. Do you think you will have any luck in getting a charger that can handle (easily) all 3 batteries at once?

blacksmithden
04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Nothing so far Yukon. I found one that's cheaper but it's the same configuration...will only handle 2 of the bigger batteries at the same time. It's like they came out with the bigger batteries, and didn't bother designing a charger for them. I'm still looking though.

Mr. Spectacular
04-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but what was the "official" lumen count on these?

blacksmithden
04-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but what was the "official" lumen count on these?

The "official" is 13000 or 13800...I had them come in with both numbers. The "real" lumen count is 11700.

YukonLeftie
04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
I meant to ask earlier - are these flashlights classified as water proof? IE, drop in a river while on waterproof?

blacksmithden
04-11-2013, 11:32 PM
I meant to ask earlier - are these flashlights classified as water proof? IE, drop in a river while on waterproof?

Good question.....I don't think so. I wouldn't trust mine to a complete bath...rain, sure, but I wouldn't give it an outright swim in a lake/river. Even ones that say they're water resistant don't like getting completely submerged. I've got a few proper dive lights that are designed for it, and these things aren't even close to being packed that tightly.

YukonLeftie
04-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Oh, here's one I didn't notice -- the button glows in the dark.

Neat.

EDIT -- utoh. Houston, we (may) haz problem.

I did some searching on this sleepless night of mine, and seems these lights are prone to meltdown problems if left on high. It seems that due to the immense power draw - better than 7 amps - that these lamps draw, the feed wires incinerate themselves. So, after doing a bit of research, I decided to check for myself --

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/524069_10151662492955676_360977860_n.jpg

If memory serves, those are no better than 16G wires, about 8" total length between the two. I know that at full voltage it's tossing just shy of 22 volts; and given that everything I have read so far suggests the head of the lamp reaches a good 200 degrees F on the OUTSIDE, that gives me cause for concern. I let the lamp run for ten min split apart and checked for temp, and didn't feel any severe rise; but that was with the head apart from the body with weak batteries. After I recharge, I will bring my tester home tonight and check the system over myself. As it stands, this may be the weak point of the lamp.

A couple links I found for folks to read --

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/15582 - this fellow did a very nice writeup on the 9LED version of this light.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/17209 - this is where I initially found the cause for concern.

In any event, if these lights give anyone trouble; I would start there at those wires. And, I will note, Ive not seen any issues with mine; but given the cost I got curious.

Sorry Den - not trying to cause issues, but I did think folks might be curious.

blacksmithden
04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Oh, here's one I didn't notice -- the button glows in the dark.

Neat.

EDIT -- utoh. Houston, we (may) haz problem.

I did some searching on this sleepless night of mine, and seems these lights are prone to meltdown problems if left on high. It seems that due to the immense power draw - better than 7 amps - that these lamps draw, the feed wires incinerate themselves. So, after doing a bit of research, I decided to check for myself --

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/524069_10151662492955676_360977860_n.jpg

If memory serves, those are no better than 16G wires, about 8" total length between the two. I know that at full voltage it's tossing just shy of 22 volts; and given that everything I have read so far suggests the head of the lamp reaches a good 200 degrees F on the OUTSIDE, that gives me cause for concern. I let the lamp run for ten min split apart and checked for temp, and didn't feel any severe rise; but that was with the head apart from the body with weak batteries. After I recharge, I will bring my tester home tonight and check the system over myself. As it stands, this may be the weak point of the lamp.

A couple links I found for folks to read --

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/15582 - this fellow did a very nice writeup on the 9LED version of this light.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/17209 - this is where I initially found the cause for concern.

In any event, if these lights give anyone trouble; I would start there at those wires. And, I will note, Ive not seen any issues with mine; but given the cost I got curious.

Sorry Den - not trying to cause issues, but I did think folks might be curious.

No worries man. If there is a known problem with something, I'd rather know about it sooner than later. Mine did get pretty warm when I let it run full throttle here in the house, but I don't think it hit the kinds of temps they're talking about...then again, I don't have a thermometer to really know for sure. I've been using mine for work (the first one I ever brought in) and haven't had any problems......but I work outside and there's usually some kind of a breeze blowing, so the big heat sink can do it's job and get rid of the heat. If the thing fails on you, let me know and I'll take care of it.

YukonLeftie
04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
No worries man. If there is a known problem with something, I'd rather know about it sooner than later. Mine did get pretty warm when I let it run full throttle here in the house, but I don't think it hit the kinds of temps they're talking about...then again, I don't have a thermometer to really know for sure. I've been using mine for work (the first one I ever brought in) and haven't had any problems......but I work outside and there's usually some kind of a breeze blowing, so the big heat sink can do it's job and get rid of the heat. If the thing fails on you, let me know and I'll take care of it.

Like i said = with it being net info, I take it with a grain or ten of salt; but given I am somewhat experienced with electrical on the automotive side; if this thing is drawing a constant 7 amps into a head that may reach near boiling; I am going to keep an eye on it. so far, no issues however.