PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Edmonton have an OBD2 Scanner?

Grizz Axxemann
05-25-2020, 02:19 AM
Car popped a code today, and I want to know what it is. Timing couldn't be worse, since there's a possibility I'll be trading it in in the next week if the stars align just so.

SIR VEYOR
05-25-2020, 05:41 AM
Some parts stores have one you can use. Princess auto and CT sell cheap ones. Some work over smartphones (with a Bluetooth dongle)

Grizz Axxemann
05-25-2020, 06:52 AM
Don't really want to spend $80+ to get one right away for a 1 time use, and amazon is still dragging ass on shipping.

Yes, I looked around and considered my options.

kennymo
05-25-2020, 07:55 AM
I know it doesn’t help you right this second, but Princess Auto blows out their el cheapo basic model a few times a year. I got one for $30. It’s not fancy, but being able to yoink a code and shut that damn light off is a sweet ability to have. I keep it in the glovebox.

Grizz Axxemann
05-25-2020, 07:36 PM
I know it doesn’t help you right this second, but Princess Auto blows out their el cheapo basic model a few times a year. I got one for $30. It’s not fancy, but being able to yoink a code and shut that damn light off is a sweet ability to have. I keep it in the glovebox.
If they were that cheap right now, I'd already be on it and not asking around to see if anyone has one they'd let me use for 5 minutes. I'm not stupid... just cheap and a bit lazy

SIR VEYOR
05-25-2020, 07:40 PM
Well, find the parts stores where you can pull the code in the lot. Auto source is one I think. And lots of smaller garages have a low fee (9r free).

Dewey Cox
05-25-2020, 11:35 PM
What do they cost at princess auto right now, regular price?
It can't be much.

Grizz Axxemann
05-26-2020, 02:08 AM
Cheapest one is $80. Some ASOT type liquidator up the block from the west-end PA has some Amazon specials for $15 and up. Gonna check 'em out tomorrow. I swear my phone is eavesdropping on me.

FlyingHigh
05-26-2020, 07:51 AM
Buy this for $16.

https://www.amazon.ca/OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-Android-Devices/dp/B01HXGX8V6/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2SHC4XBT56Z4Y&dchild=1&keywords=elm+327+code+reader&qid=1590500878&sprefix=ELM+327%2Caps%2C465&sr=8-9

Install the Torque app on your phone. The free version works, the Pro version is better and only $10.

$26 and you have a code reader. It's a great system for cheap.

firemachine69
05-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Cheapest one is $80. Some ASOT type liquidator up the block from the west-end PA has some Amazon specials for $15 and up. Gonna check 'em out tomorrow. I swear my phone is eavesdropping on me.

Princess Auto has a bluetooth variant that pops up in their "surplus" section frequently, around twenty bucks. You connect to it with your smartphone.

Grizz Axxemann
05-26-2020, 03:09 PM
Buy this for $16.

https://www.amazon.ca/OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-Android-Devices/dp/B01HXGX8V6/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2SHC4XBT56Z4Y&dchild=1&keywords=elm+327+code+reader&qid=1590500878&sprefix=ELM+327%2Caps%2C465&sr=8-9

Install the Torque app on your phone. The free version works, the Pro version is better and only $10.

$26 and you have a code reader. It's a great system for cheap.

Amazon is still 10 days lead time. I needed this on sunday.

FlyingHigh
05-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Amazon is still 10 days lead time. I needed this on sunday.

Gotcha. Oh well. Buy it now, then you have it for next time. :)

Grizz Axxemann
05-27-2020, 02:58 AM
Princess Auto has a bluetooth variant that pops up in their "surplus" section frequently, around twenty bucks. You connect to it with your smartphone.

$25. But who's counting. I ended up getting that one. Is it just me or do most of those smartphone apps really suck? Either they want you to pay huge money, can't do anything, or have a UI that looks like it was designed by my 63 year old, barely computer literate dad.

SIR VEYOR
05-27-2020, 04:53 AM
Apparently Jiffy Lube does free code reading

And from elsewhere:

The best solution IMO is to use a bluetooth OBD-II reader. Once you have the reader, you can use a wide variety of apps to suit your needs.
I bought mine years ago and don't think the exact model is listed, but this reader looks exactly like the one I have, just a different label. $19.99.
If you have an Android phone or tablet, I highly recommend the Torque lite app. It'll connect to the Bluetooth reader and get the codes from your ECU. The app can also give you tons of real-time data from your vehicle and GPS data. The pro version is $5 and gives more capabilities for real-time data.
I'm sure iPhone has their own OBDII apps as well; I'm just familiar with Torque.

Dewey Cox
05-27-2020, 07:02 AM
What was the code?

SIR VEYOR
05-27-2020, 07:15 AM
What was the code?

I’m guessing P04 is the start....

Grizz Axxemann
05-27-2020, 09:06 PM
Apparently Jiffy Lube does free code reading

And from elsewhere:

The best solution IMO is to use a bluetooth OBD-II reader. Once you have the reader, you can use a wide variety of apps to suit your needs.
I bought mine years ago and don't think the exact model is listed, but this reader looks exactly like the one I have, just a different label. $19.99.
If you have an Android phone or tablet, I highly recommend the Torque lite app. It'll connect to the Bluetooth reader and get the codes from your ECU. The app can also give you tons of real-time data from your vehicle and GPS data. The pro version is $5 and gives more capabilities for real-time data.
I'm sure iPhone has their own OBDII apps as well; I'm just familiar with Torque. One of the ones I hated most was Torque Lite. What a craptastic UI.

What was the code?

TBH, I forgot to copy the log. Two codes, one oil pressure sensor fault, the other a transmission fault. I'm guessing the oil pressure sensor was laggy or something. The gauges were all reading normal when the light popped on.

kennymo
06-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Princess Auto has the basic OBD reader on for $35 this week.

Dewey Cox
06-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Princess Auto has the basic OBD reader on for $35 this week.

They also have the canoe t bar on sale that I just bought a couple weeks ago.
I have been waiting for it to come on sale for months, and finally couldn't wait any more.
That's a sure way to bring out a sale.

Swingerguy
06-11-2020, 02:16 PM
They also have the canoe t bar on sale that I just bought a couple weeks ago.
I have been waiting for it to come on sale for months, and finally couldn't wait any more.
That's a sure way to bring out a sale.

Take the receipt back and they should adjust it and give you the sale price. Or return it and re-buy it.

Dewey Cox
06-11-2020, 02:38 PM
I agreed to pay the price I paid.