PDA

View Full Version : [Alberta Election] Redford PC's attack Ralph Klein's Legacy

MikeyT
04-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Klein’s Wife, Friends, Angry at PC Comments on Sick ex-Premier.

Calgary Herald Blogs (http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/04/15/kleins-wife-friends-angry-at-pc-criticism-of-sick-ex-premier/)

An deep split has opened in the PC party as some of former Premier Ralph Klein’s friends – and his wife – hit back at criticism from Leader Alison Redford’s camp.

“I am so very sorry and saddened to hear that some people are questioning Ralph’s legacy,” Colleen Klein said in an e-mail to me Sunday evening.

That’s all she’ll be saying, apparently, but others are more vociferous.

“Leave Ralph Klein alone,” says Rod Love, Klein’s longtime friend and former chief of staff.

“When it comes to Ralph, I am non-partisan. Just leave him alone. This is a man who can’t speak for himself.”

Klein, premier from 1992-2006, is in a nursing home with a serious form of rapidly progressing frontal-lobe dementia. He’s quite ill and virtually incapable of forming words.

Klein’s friends think it’s highly unfair for party people to criticize a living premier who’s suffering from a terrible illness.

Redford told a private gathering of donors at the Calgary Golf and Country Club that she’s still dealing with negative impacts of Klein’s cost-cutting, according to one person who was there.

Word of her comments quickly spread around in PC circles.

Emotions rose again last week when PC founder Peter Lougheed warmly endorsed Redford. He’s done that for every premier who followed him – except Klein.

Lougheed had already angered Klein loyalists when he was quoted in the Globe and Mail as saying:

“Mr Klein came along and he reverted the party backward to what I call the old Social Credit days, when Alberta was the whole focus and it wasn’t a cross-Canada focus,” he told the newspaper.

He said Redford’s return to a progressive outlook “is exceptionally important.”

That angered Skip McDonald, president of Klein’s riding board in Calgary-Elbow for many years, and a longtime friend.

“I’m a little disappointed in premier Lougheed for doing that,” he said.

“I saw that quote. Ralph’s not in a position to defend himself, and that’s well-known.”

Macdonald calls himself a “disaffected PC” who will now be voting for Wildrose.

“It’s partly because of Ralph, but also because I think Wildrose will continue in the tradition of Ralph Klein, and I don’t see the PC party doing that today.”

McDonald says he’s still on the Calgary-Elbow riding association – now Redford’s – but will quit immediately.

Klein’s loyalists have been worried for years about continuing deficits. Now they say Redford couldn’t spend lavishly if Klein hadn’t paid off all the debt and left a $17 billion savings fund.

“If Mr. Lougheed or Mr. Stelmach or Mr. Getty all want to have a debate, that’s fine, they are completely entitled.” says Rod Love.

“But when my phone rings and I find out Ralph Klein is being brought into it and criticized, I get pissed off.”

It’s hardly the kind of party uproar the PCs need as they head into the last week of the campaign.

jwirecom109
04-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Ralph Klein, was alot of things, he was at times unpolitical, stubborn, unsupportive, But Not once did i questions he commitment to Alberta.
There are alot of people that still don't like him, but he helped make Alberta what it is today, and personally he is in my good books.

Just another reason why I will be voting Wild Rose

CSC
04-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I never voted for Ralph either, he was certainly popular but in the end he pretty much kow towed to the Federal lieberals when in my opinion it was more appropriate to side with Quebec and push for Federal recognition of Provincial rights. Much of the Firearms Act other than the registration of firearms should very rightly have been Provincially controlled issues that the Feds had no right regulating. For example range inspections and approvals, shooting club requirements and record keeping. Why do ATTs need to be issued to folks that are members of not for profit clubs? There were lots of other issues too of course, corruption, waste, over spending, Ralph was never a true conservative in my opinion. The sooner the PCs are gone the better.

50calshooter
04-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm sicken that they would criticism him when the man can't speak for himself nor defend himself. As a human being I hope Ralph can find peace soon. I wish him well.

As for Redford, she can f**k right off, that bitch it delusional. Go WR

blacksmithden
04-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I'd vote for Ralph in a heart beat. The guy was all about what was good for Alberta first, and Canada second. The premier's job is to work for his province, not the federal government.

Skip
04-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Clearly this Redford harpy isn't sitting well with the Kleins either seeing as Mrs. Klein bought a membership to the WRA.

Forbes/Hutton
04-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm in Ontario and I'm jealous of Alberta for having Klein as premier. Mike Harris was great, I think he modelled himself on Klein a great deal.

Redford is going to PO a lot of old guard PCs with her comments. I hope Smith has a nice paint colour picked out for the premier's office already. She'll be to busy after the election.