PDA

View Full Version : Any Jobs in Alberta?

Sabio
06-10-2020, 06:26 PM
With all the talk of Wexit.

If I pick up and move....is there any jobs?
For a 49 year old Automotive parts production supervisor

linung
06-10-2020, 06:32 PM
I'm definitely moving if #WEXIT happens.

JustBen
06-10-2020, 06:55 PM

Does that come with any sort of related trade ticket?

FlyingHigh
06-10-2020, 06:55 PM

I can basically only speak for the Grande Prairie area. The only jobs really out there right now are through word of mouth and reputation. The trades jobs posted on Indeed etc are all either for sketchy outfits, low pay or both. The majority of places aren't advertising they're hiring, if they are at all. When I go back to looking for work in mid July after a training course, most of my hunt will be by calling up friends in various industries and networking through them.

Most job postings online are for minimum wage or not much better and usually for stuff in retail, office admin etc. My wife finished her office admin certificate program in the middle of May and has been applying to nearly everything that comes up. She hasn't gotten any call backs other than one company which went into a hiring freeze just before they could offer her a position.

Hillbillyreefer
06-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Lots of guys sitting in east central Alberta. Patch layoffs have been bad out here. Just what Trudeau wanted. The wiener sucker.

Big-Boss-Man
06-11-2020, 01:49 AM

maybe not the money you are looking for but there are other fields too

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=production+supervisor&l=Alberta

personally I am more of a heavy construction guy, and that is usually pretty steady (for me) having a skill helps, class 1 licence forklift heavy equipment etc.

blacksmithden
06-11-2020, 02:28 AM
The mining industry is in the toilet right across the north and west. Theres only 2 diamond mines working in the territories right now. One running gold mine (the one the Chicoms want to buy) and one coal mine in Alberta......that I know of anyway. It isnt good. Its only by blind luck that I still have a job.

Dewey Cox
06-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Why don't all you carpetbaggers move west now, and help build an independant west?

t_glover
06-11-2020, 08:19 AM
In the months to come there will be lots of job openings for repo-men and process servers in all of Canada.

Gunexpert007
06-11-2020, 09:03 AM
In the months to come there will be lots of job openings for repo-men and process servers in all of Canada.

Yep , and it has already started in some places . Once Trudeau's handouts end , and the economy goes into a full recession ; it will be a tough go for those carrying a lot of debt .

srdiver
06-12-2020, 10:35 AM
simple answer no
like BSD I am lucky to be working as a tradesman - a lot of people I know are unemployed
things are opening up, but a lot of projects that would have employed 20k (total number of projects/people employed) were shelved (Frontier, Aspen, Sunrise 2 and a bunch of other Number 2s)

Battle Beaver
06-12-2020, 11:04 PM
The mining industry is in the toilet

Why are you mining the toilets?

:)

Dewey Cox
06-13-2020, 12:09 AM
Why are you mining the toilets?

:)

Take it from this plumber, there is money to be made mining in toilets.

Gunexpert007
06-13-2020, 07:56 AM

There certainly is , just the crap flowing from Ottawa could keep a 1000 plumbers busy 24/7 .

Aniest
06-13-2020, 08:52 AM

Jobs here are sparse and as pointed out, often are not found randomly: you need to know someone or network through people to get a job. When the company I worked for wanted a new apprentice the boss posted online. When a familiar name popped up, the child of someone we knew, they got hired because knowing their family was the equivalent of perfect references right off the bat. Of course, they had experience, aptitude and came form a family of hard workers too.

I know a ticketed Journeyman Parts Technician here in Alberta who has changed jobs a ?dozen? times in 10 years. Often a company breaks down and hires a certified technician when their inventory is gone to sh!t, they have too many wrong orders, unused un-returnable parts are piling up, and the one mechanic in charge of ordering stuff either quits from the stress or gives up. However, a parts tech is a trade and therefor not always a cheap employee... so as soon as everything is working smooth they find an excuse to let them go.

Sorry if that seems like a rant, but in the automotive parts sector here in Alberta I only know of parts techs at the retail & repair level. I am not sure how a production position would work, but I doubt with the Federal Liberal policies right now, it would not be great. Sorry.

linung
06-13-2020, 03:27 PM
There certainly is , just the crap flowing from Ottawa could keep a 1000 plumbers busy 24/7 .

remember that gun powder is made from poop & guano.

Gunrunner
06-13-2020, 03:35 PM
It was a tough province to knock on its economic azz but between Trudeau & Notley they managed it.
Then along came covid ... double whammy.:Bang head:
Now Kenny has the daunting task of picking up the pieces.