PDA

View Full Version : Spring Black Rifle Extravaganza: NonRestricted Fun Shoot

TV-PressPass
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
All right, I've been tossing the idea around with a few people in a few places, so this will be the unified spot for details. I promise I'll try to keep this top thread updated as we make decisions and get events and shooters lined up.

First Q&A: What's this about?

There's a lot of us in the western 3 (BC,AB,SK) that have some pretty fun non-restricted black guns. Its cool to be able to take them out and hike and shoot and all manner of fun.

Why not set a weekend aside to do that together?

Right now, the way my mind is running I'm picturing 2 shoots as the summer warms up:

Prairie Day: Somewhere along the SK-AB border, hopefully with a range in the 100-300 yard space. Maybe a campsite and a river?

Mountain Day: Somewhere in the crown land of western alberta or eastern BC. Something akin to a sniper's challenge. (http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/07/31/nine-lessons-learned-during-my-first-adventure-race/)

What do we think? Who's in? Who'd be in if we had prizes? Who'd be in if we had other specialness?

I post this picture all the time: but this is the kind of space I have in mind. Then put some good targets downrange and open up!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7115/7500754872_3bd7fb3c8a_z.jpg

Samson23
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
The only specialness I need are:

- guns
- campfire
- bacon
- coffee
- good folks

CanuckWR
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
I am in, and I have the area for the sniper challenge. Hopefully you find a space down south with some RV parking.

Samson23
01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I may just do towel service during the sniper component, on account of being a shitty shot. :D

blaxsun
01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
I may just do towel service during the sniper component, on account of being a shitty shot. :D

Don't worry - you'll have me to keep you company. ;)

Prairie Day: Somewhere along the SK-AB border, hopefully with a range in the 100-300 yard space. Maybe a campsite and a river?

If we're able to keep it on the SK side, I can bring some fun toys to play with... :cool:

jwirecom109
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Ugh i heard hiking was involved... I need to get in-shape before i partake, But i like the idea.

TV-PressPass
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Think less "1000 yard shots" and more: "get to this place on the map and shoot these three targets"

Maybe prairie is camp/rv/bbq, and mountains is hang out, hike up, shoot, hike back, victory beers?

westislandrifle
01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
sounds like a blast tobads thats the dark side for me

Drache
01-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Think less "1000 yard shots" and more: "get to this place on the map and shoot these three targets"

So instead of hiking 700 yards then shooting the targets can I just shoot them from the 1000 yard line and not worry about the hiking? :p

CanuckWR
01-29-2013, 12:53 PM
This is going in the right direction to be a lot of fun. You might be onto something with the hiking in and shooting from an improvised position.

TV-PressPass
01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
So instead of hiking 700 yards then shooting the targets can I just shoot them from the 1000 yard line and not worry about the hiking?

Hmmmm.

We're going to have to work on safety templating so the hikers can have some covering fire :P

I like the idea of planning this in the next few months, so that things aren't thrown together in spring

Samson23
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
We should also have some smaller day trips in the interim to make sure we don't hate each other. ;)

JustBen
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'd need a date before I can commit, but I am very interested in coming out to shoot or even just watch.

biopace
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm in, sounds great! Not so sure about driving East, but K country is neat.

Satain
01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Every summer we do this up at Stave Lake or if a select few want I might be convinced to set-up an event at my "Fortress of Solitude". My get away has up to 2km long range course and also 200 meter run down course. PM me if you guys want to set-up a long weekend shoot.

BuckingFastard
01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm into that satain, actually I'm into almost anything if days off align with the dates. Slave lake sounds great, i know the area like the back of my hand, 25km west of slave I have a cottage with 4acres right on the lake unfortunately that's no where enough room to shoot.

5.56 Medic
01-29-2013, 07:57 PM
This sounds like a great idea.

Satain, I'd be all over that Stave Lake idea, as I'm from Squamish. I like the idea of a practical shoot competition. Hike and shoot sounds real intriguing. I am sure I can find some friends that would be interested, as well.

I would be more than happy to bring medical gear and assist with that hopefully avoidable situation.

Keep us posted.

BuckingFastard
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Lol stave lake, NM damn iPhone's cracked screen. WTH though I'd still go for a road trip.

stevesummit
01-30-2013, 06:33 AM
So instead of hiking 700 yards then shooting the targets can I just shoot them from the 1000 yard line and not worry about the hiking? :p

This sounds like the way to go for me

Dmay
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
This sounds like the way to go for me

Me too.....reason I spent so dam much money on rifles and optics is so I don't have to walk.......;)

But, sounds like fun for those with more energy, and sub 20 lb rifles....

Canuck
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Question TV-PP: Will the targets be steel or paper? If paper, what dimensions or configurations? Just wondering.

TV-PressPass
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Anyone got some steel targets we can use? :D

I keep asking my metal work buddy to make me some, and he keeps giving me 1/8" think pieces of steel. I don't know if he thinks I'm shooting BBs or what, but they never last more than one range session.

Canuck
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I use a 12 x 12 AR500 plate that I got from Rampartwerkz in Vancover. Very reasonable prices and you can't damage them. I've shot them with everything and nothing dents them. Easy set up with portable stands I had made. They come with built in ears for easy attaching of chains. They have them in all sizes. I chose the 12 x 12 for long range shooting 4-500m.

Rampartwerks <rampartwerks@telus.net>

Oh, and I ordered some for our club and I would be allowed to bring some if this worked out. Need dates though.

Laramie Longhorn
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
I'd need to see dates, as I work in Calgary and commute to Edmonton on weekends. but I'd check it out. You allowing us who aren't so "tacticool"? Bolt guns and blaze sorta guys?

Samson23
01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
I use a 12 x 12 AR500 plate that I got from Rampartwerkz in Vancover. Very reasonable prices and you can't damage them. I've shot them with everything and nothing dents them. Easy set up with portable stands I had made. They come with built in ears for easy attaching of chains. They have them in all sizes. I chose the 12 x 12 for long range shooting 4-500m.

Rampartwerks <rampartwerks@telus.net>

Oh, and I ordered some for our club and I would be allowed to bring some if this worked out. Need dates though.
When you say nothing dents them, would that mean a ricochet risk?

Canuck
01-30-2013, 06:31 PM
When you say nothing dents them, would that mean a ricochet risk?

No, you mount the chains on the plate with 4inch bolts. This causes the plate to sit at an angle and hits are directed downwards into the ground.

Samson23
01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Ahh sounds good. Whether its the satisfying gong of metal or exploding pumpkins, anything beats plain paper.

Canuck
01-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Ahh sounds good. Whether its the satisfying gong of metal or exploding pumpkins, anything beats plain paper.

Especially at long range (for the steel)!

Satain
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Got 556Medic and BuckingBastard for a Summer Shoot out at Stave lake. Also up at stave I already have a gong setup at multiple ranges.
I also have a spot just out side of Kelowna if some one is up for a spring weekend. There I have full accomidations for a couple of day's for streaching out the legs of any non-restricted also Joe Rich has a restricted gun range that can shoot out to 300 meters were we can have a few run down drills too. Al la 3 gun style courses we can do to. But for the 2KM long range course is in the back hills just 5 minutes from the accomidations. So if any one is interested just post up.

CanuckWR
01-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Got 556Medic and BuckingBastard for a Summer Shoot out at Stave lake. Also up at stave I already have a gong setup at multiple ranges.
I also have a spot just out side of Kelowna if some one is up for a spring weekend. There I have full accomidations for a couple of day's for streaching out the legs of any non-restricted also Joe Rich has a restricted gun range that can shoot out to 300 meters were we can have a few run down drills too. Al la 3 gun style courses we can do to. But for the 2KM long range course is in the back hills just 5 minutes from the accomidations. So if any one is interested just post up.

In!

5.56 Medic
01-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Wow Satain, is the firearm holiday destination pimp! Kelowna sounds fun too. I'm in to that as well. Now I need a non restricted Black Rifle to go with the AR and Remington 700. I have everything for restricted 3 Gun. Sounds like daddy needs an XCR-L in FDE!

road kill
01-31-2013, 08:09 PM

I like that idea.

Baker
01-31-2013, 10:30 PM
You western folks have all the fun, huh?

Better have a lot of pictures to rub in our faces lol (and have FUN!).

Satain
02-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Wow Satain, is the firearm holiday destination pimp! Kelowna sounds fun too. I'm in to that as well. Now I need a non restricted Black Rifle to go with the AR and Remington 700. I have everything for restricted 3 Gun. Sounds like daddy needs an XCR-L in FDE!
Show up and hell run with my KAC. I ain't one of those gucci mama's that like to stand infront of my mirror pretending that I am all that. Hell I know that I can't even spell that but if I make lots of noise and have a fun time I don't care.
Okay so those wanting to do the summer shoot at Stave or for those wanting to do the spring shoot at Joe Rich PM me with that in the subject line.

Sanman
02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Evey post you write Satan, the more i like your style!!! I am interested, but i think i need to put a couple of hundred rounds through my XCR first!!!

Satain
02-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Evey post you write Satan, the more i like your style!!! I am interested, but i think i need to put a couple of hundred rounds through my XCR first!!!
What are you tring to do over inflat my head???
Plus on the job training is the best way to streach your rigs legs ;)
Everyone else who is interested. I made a thread so please post up or PM me. As it sounds like right now the Stave Lake Shoot Out is a 100% go.

blueoval56
02-07-2013, 04:07 PM
This sounds awesome. I'd come out and play with my modified M305!

BuckingFastard
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Good to hear, any dates in mind yet?

JustBen
02-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Good to hear, any dates in mind yet?

This is critical for me! The sooner I know, the sooner I can book it off.

BuckingFastard
02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Ya just seen the other thread I'm just need dates

TV-PressPass
02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
This weekend I'll have two new threads. one mountain, one prairie, with dates locations and prizes for both. sound good?

Canuck
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
This weekend I'll have two new threads. one mountain, one prairie, with dates locations and prizes for both. sound good?

I'm looking forward to this. Sounds good to me.

Sadosubliminal
02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone got any similar plans near Ottawa? Willing to drive out to a 500KM radius. I have a place I go to shoot, but it's all 25 meters tops (it's just a sand pit).

BuckingFastard
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Anyone got any similar plans near Ottawa? Willing to drive out to a 500KM radius. I have a place I go to shoot, but it's all 25 meters tops (it's just a sand pit).

Sounds awesome, I know this one will be closer to home.

TV-PressPass
02-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Writing up plans/ideas now! Sorry Ottawa folks: meet halfway in Northern Ontario next year? :D