PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Arms Classic Green, Broken Extractor Pin

Steve704
02-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Hey everyone, was cleaning my Classic green before a winter camping trip and found piece of something broken, after searching around I realized it was a piece of my extractor pin. It had failed and about 2 thirds of it was in my lower receiver and the other 1/3rd still inside the bolt holding the extractor in place, this is a good thing because the little spring in there requires a special tool to compress it's under so much pressure.

Round count is around 4000, this is the first time I have seen one myself but I know it happens. (Broken Extractor pin's that is)

Now for the fix, I had a bolt sent in for extractor replacement a year or so ago and when I got it back he sent the old extractor pieces, including the pin. I took the old undamaged extractor pin and hammered it into the empty side of the bolt. It soon went deep enough it engaged the extractor, and then pushed the other broken piece out the other side. Hence replacing my own extractor pin.

Again it's a one way pin, so I am very lucky it worked out this way.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/Stevejanes704/IMGA0003-1_zps4bfdab09.jpg

BuckingFastard
02-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Not to shabby if that was the only hiccup @4000 rounds

TV-PressPass
02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
but . . . but swiss arms are undefeatable aren't they?

Actually Im not that surprised considering how much use your Swiss arms gets. if you ever need parts or work. . . well Marcus at the Calgary Shooting Center is from Switzerland, and brought a lot of bits and pieces with him!

Steve704
02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
but . . . but swiss arms are undefeatable aren't they?

Actually Im not that surprised considering how much use your Swiss arms gets. if you ever need parts or work. . . well Marcus at the Calgary Shooting Center is from Switzerland, and brought a lot of bits and pieces with him!

Yea, marcus is a good guy too, I spoke with him about the black special issues as well

Ar180shooter
02-04-2013, 01:58 AM
I have about 8000 rounds through my rifle and 2000 rounds through my carbine and have had zero issues with either rifle. I'm going to have some small parts replaced on my rifle soon though...

Steve704
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I have about 8000 rounds through my rifle and 2000 rounds through my carbine and have had zero issues with either rifle. I'm going to have some small parts replaced on my rifle soon though...

That's what you should expect too. Even with my experiences, I still have only the highest expectations of my rifle.

That being said, I would definitely look at having my extractor pin, and extractor spring replaced and possibly the extractor itself changed out soon if my rifle was approaching 10 000 rounds.