PDA

View Full Version : Hotshotting?

NavyCuda
11-16-2020, 01:50 PM
Any of you into it? How hard was it to get into? Can a person reasonably start out hot shotting with a heavy half-ton pickup?

Haywire1
11-17-2020, 05:53 AM
I made a bunch of cash before the oil market crashed with a half ton, since then not much point, probably 90% of the market was oil companies and thats dried up. Generally speaking you’ll need a reliable vehicle, commercial insurance, cargo insurance, your own company(your usually a subcontractor), decent sized cash reserve for operating and maintenance, be prepared to run on little or no sleep at times, and drive in weather conditions that keep most off the roads, as well as put around 100,000km a year on your vehicle. Lots of people i know made cash back in the day, but as i said, with the oil crash probably about 90% of the business is dried up

NavyCuda
11-17-2020, 07:26 AM
I have a 2019 Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. Though I would be operating out of the lower mainland of BC. I really enjoy driving, so I would love to get paid to drive. As it is I put on about 50k a year with commuting, so another 50k wouldn't be a big deal and getting me out of the house makes the wife happy. My normal work week is three days so I could even just dip my toes into the pool and see if I even like it. I'm also toying with the idea of making knives so... who knows... Just feel ambitious and sadly my job is not one where ambition is rewarded.

I certainly do have concerns about the size of the load pool with the oil fields being in disarray. My dad suggested moving travel trailers around too. I saw one posted from Vancouver to Texas, bids around $7000 to take it down there.

CLW .45
11-17-2020, 05:14 PM
I have a 2019 Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. Though I would be operating out of the lower mainland of BC. I really enjoy driving, so I would love to get paid to drive. As it is I put on about 50k a year with commuting, so another 50k wouldn't be a big deal and getting me out of the house makes the wife happy. My normal work week is three days so I could even just dip my toes into the pool and see if I even like it. I'm also toying with the idea of making knives so... who knows... Just feel ambitious and sadly my job is not one where ambition is rewarded.

I certainly do have concerns about the size of the load pool with the oil fields being in disarray. My dad suggested moving travel trailers around too. I saw one posted from Vancouver to Texas, bids around $7000 to take it down there.

As with most such businesses, when business is slow, knowing your customer base is key.

Knowing your competition, not so much.