PDA

View Full Version : Dash Cams ??

barkerlakebob
11-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Who uses them - do you use front and rear mount - what brand and model do you use - and what was your primary reason for purchase and / or installation of the camera ?

barkerlakebob
11-18-2020, 04:17 PM
I have two - one on each vehicle - front mount only - I use Think Ware ( one is a F 150 and the other a F 70 ) The primary reason for purchase and installation is because of M.P.I. and their bull ship policy of no fault insurance. With those donkey's, everyone seems to be 50% at fault - they can jack up everyone's premiums without doing one iota of an investigation. These days you pretty much have the onus on you to prove your innocence. To many horror stories out there. I want good back up...........!!

barkerlakebob
11-19-2020, 07:29 AM
I am quite surprised there is not that much use in this group for dash cams.

awndray
11-19-2020, 07:45 AM
Why?

FWIW, I had one in my previous vehicle. It served no purpose at all for me. I thought it was a fun gadget. But it really wasn't.

https://www.amazon.ca/EnjoyGadgets%C2%AE-Dashcam-MicroSD-wide-angle-Replaces/dp/B016E5GVD4

I had it hard-wired and mounted up front. It was cool for about 5 minutes. After that, it was completely useless to me.

I thought it would be helpful in the event of a traffic incident. I was wrong. I tried to provide some footage to police and insurance once in a no-fault collision. They didn't care for it. I once tried to provide some evidence to the police of some moron driving dangerously on a regular basis on my commute to work. They said they have better things to do.

DanN
11-19-2020, 08:42 AM
We have one in each of our vehicles. 2 are the Nextbase 222 from Best Buy. Pretty decent units. They are quick release, so you can just pop them off if your worried they might get stolen or for easy access to the card.

The third was from Amazon - AWESAFE 10 Inch Mirror Dash Cam. It does a pretty reasonable job. https://www.amazon.ca/AWESAFE-Mirror-Screen-Parking-Monitor/dp/B07RS2K8X6/

I haven't had to use any videos for legal purposes yet, but much like a gun I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

AWESAFE sample Video:
https://youtu.be/J-M97qx2RUo

Nextbase Sample Video:
https://youtu.be/TVt4bbT_EFY

t_glover
11-19-2020, 09:03 AM
I have a DOD LS 360 in one of my vehicles and an LS460 in the other. I got them a Staples on sale.
They are a pretty good camera for the money and work well in low light conditions.

ICBC the B.C. government owned insurance company will use any excuse not to pay or
claim an accident was 50/50 percent fault.

sigpig
11-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Has anyone had any success in getting an insurance claim settled in their favor due to introduction of dash cam footage?? I imagine awndray has experienced the rule, rather than the exception.

barkerlakebob
11-19-2020, 02:54 PM
Has anyone had any success in getting an insurance claim settled in their favor due to introduction of dash cam footage?? I imagine awndray has experienced the rule, rather than the exception.
-
My son had that measure of success - very bad pot hole within the City of Winnipeg - hole flooded with water - hit pot hole - vehicle thrown up on curb - two tires - two rims and minor body damage all covered without deductible etc etc.

I had the "experience" of travelling through a construction zone ( short patch paving ) which offered no flag men, no signage, as well as conflicting signals from the workers. I phoned the R.M. and complained. They asked did I have any proof, as it was me against eight workers and I brought them the video clip. Apologies all around and most likely future accidents / injuries avoided.

barkerlakebob
11-19-2020, 02:56 PM
I have a DOD LS 360 in one of my vehicles and an LS460 in the other. I got them a Staples on sale.
They are a pretty good camera for the money and work well in low light conditions.

ICBC the B.C. government owned insurance company will use any excuse not to pay or
claim an accident was 50/50 percent fault.

Yup - same here in Manitoba.........

Hidyn
11-19-2020, 05:49 PM
I have one in the mail. I'm just going to try the cheap amazon one for starters to get a feel for if I want to invest in a higher quality one. Good to know some of the issues mentioned in this thread.

I'll try to remember to come back with a review of some kind.

barkerlakebob
11-19-2020, 06:12 PM
I have one in the mail. I'm just going to try the cheap amazon one for starters to get a feel for if I want to invest in a higher quality one. Good to know some of the issues mentioned in this thread.

I'll try to remember to come back with a review of some kind.

Thanks - that would be appreciated !!

FlyingHigh
11-19-2020, 06:50 PM
I use a Viofo A119. It was instrumental in having the driver of this garbage truck suspended pending completion of remedial safe driver training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdk4tcwbvI

My insurance company has told me they love dash cam footage as it usually clearly solves he-said/she-said problems. As for anyone actually benefitting from it, a friend of mine in BC did. He got t-boned bad enough to total both vehicles. The other driver and 1 witness (who turned out to be the other driver's friend who was following) both said my friend ran a red light. Responding officer refused to review the dash cam footage because "there's a witness". My friend was cited with something like $1500 in tickets and the police report put full blame on him. He showed ICBC the footage which clearly showed that he'd had the green light and the OTHER driver as the one who ran a red. ICBC reversed the blame, and my friend went to court for the tickets. The "witness" fessed up immediately after seeing the footage. The judge threw out the tickets, charged the other driver, reprimanded the officer in the courtroom and charged the false witness with filing a false report or something like that.

blacksmithden
11-19-2020, 07:59 PM
Ive got a Garmin. Its not reliable though, so it rides in the center console. It wouldnt always turn on and record when the vehicle power was turned on. I was happier with my old Chinese piece of junk of Ali Express. I bought my first one the day after some dink decided to change lanes on polished ice and heavy traffic. He was towing a 30 ft trailer. All of a sudden my stopping distance went from no problem to you're screwed. I drove into the snowbank to miss the dickhead. If Id have rear ended him, Im sure I would have sucked up a careless charge over it. I was driving my company service truck at the time too, so Im sure I would have been written up as well. A dash cam would have showed what really happened

barkerlakebob
11-19-2020, 08:25 PM
I use a Viofo A119. It was instrumental in having the driver of this garbage truck suspended pending completion of remedial safe driver training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdk4tcwbvI

My insurance company has told me they love dash cam footage as it usually clearly solves he-said/she-said problems. As for anyone actually benefitting from it, a friend of mine in BC did. He got t-boned bad enough to total both vehicles. The other driver and 1 witness (who turned out to be the other driver's friend who was following) both said my friend ran a red light. Responding officer refused to review the dash cam footage because "there's a witness". My friend was cited with something like $1500 in tickets and the police report put full blame on him. He showed ICBC the footage which clearly showed that he'd had the green light and the OTHER driver as the one who ran a red. ICBC reversed the blame, and my friend went to court for the tickets. The "witness" fessed up immediately after seeing the footage. The judge threw out the tickets, charged the other driver, reprimanded the officer in the courtroom and charged the false witness with filing a false report or something like that.

Bingo !!

Billythreefeathers
11-28-2020, 07:45 PM
one in every veh,,, they all paid for themselves

Lee Enfield
11-28-2020, 10:15 PM
Son has one. Useful and also records when anyone is searching around his car day or night.

SIR VEYOR
11-30-2020, 10:15 AM
https://ipcamtalk.com/forums/dash-cams.17/

If you’re researching them, including dirt cheap prices With/vs quality...

Some want discreet, others want big and obvious...

barkerlakebob
11-30-2020, 11:22 AM
https://ipcamtalk.com/forums/dash-cams.17/

If you’re researching them, including dirt cheap prices With/vs quality...

Some want discreet, others want big and obvious...

Thanks - nice to have options