PDA

View Full Version : Canada Post "Solutions for Small Business" question

stevebc
12-13-2020, 02:59 PM
Reviewing the laws on mailing a firearm, I see the rules were changed in November, and that I'm supposed to sign up for an account with "Solutions for Small Business", formerly Venture one, so that I can print mailing labels...

And I'm having issues with their system which says I have the wrong username or password. I've never signed up for this that I can recall, and would just as soon avoid a long phone call with a bureaucrat.

Is there any reason why I can't just box up a firearm and mail it in the usual way, provided I remove the bolt, package it securely, have a useless trigger lock, etc etc?

Do I really need an account with CP?

Drache
12-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Is there any reason why I can't just box up a firearm and mail it in the usual way, provided I remove the bolt, package it securely, have a useless trigger lock, etc etc?

Short answer - No

Long Answer - Yes

If you don't care about insurance on damage or parcel loss there is nothing stopping you. But if you don't mail it to their standards they reserve the right to void any insurance you have paid for.

stevebc
12-14-2020, 10:45 AM
Short answer - No

Long Answer - Yes

If you don't care about insurance on damage or parcel loss there is nothing stopping you. But if you don't mail it to their standards they reserve the right to void any insurance you have paid for.

Well, not the answer I hoped for, but thanks for the warning.

tigrr
12-14-2020, 09:00 PM
You save 3% to 10% with Venture!! It took 10 minutes to sign up. I got the cards in the mail 4 weeks later.
Start over and record your password!! Didn't your browser record your entry and password?

GeoTrekr
12-15-2020, 02:51 AM
I sold a number of firearms in September/October, so had to sign up for the SSB account. At that time, their software was glitchy, and myself and a few other members had problems properly setting up the account. I finally called CP and was put through to tech support, who completed setting up a SSB account for me from scratch after discovering a technical glitch in my online application that was impossible for them to fix and left them stumped.

If you need to call, just call. It's not worth the headache trying to figure it out yourself if it's not working, as you might not even be able to fix it on your end at all. In my case, I went through all the right steps, falsely declaring I had a business as their rules required me to do, but in the end of the process, it sent me to the personal version rather than the business version required to ship firearms.

Tech support was was unphased when they asked the name of my business, to which I said I don't have one, and am only doing this to comply with their shipping restrictions on firearms. They just used my name as the name of my 'company'. The process didn't take long to fix at all, once I made the call.

stevebc
12-15-2020, 10:19 AM
Thanks to all who responded. Eventually, I was able to get this account set up. VERY picky over what CP considers my address, but I got it done.

Tigrr, I saw no mention of "cards". I was given a customer number, though.

awndray
01-20-2021, 01:17 PM

I know, I know. They're not supposed to know what's in the parcel. And sure, Covid is super duper scary and deadly. But there's a signature required to receive this parcel, and this is as prescribed by regulation of the CFO/RCMP. But let's go ahead and forget about legislation because it's inconvenient and impractical for the time being. Instead, let's blame law abiding gun owners for the crimes committed by gang bangers and deranged confidential informants posing as denturists.

At least they didn't leave it on the front porch like they did with a shotgun a few years ago.

CLW .45
01-20-2021, 08:38 PM
Canada Post "Solutions for Small Business" question

Another question.

Why is CP concerned about small business given that CLIMATE and COVID Terrorism are working so well to destroy small business?

IJ22
01-20-2021, 09:28 PM

I know, I know. They're not supposed to know what's in the parcel. And sure, Covid is super duper scary and deadly. But there's a signature required to receive this parcel, and this is as prescribed by regulation of the CFO/RCMP. But let's go ahead and forget about legislation because it's inconvenient and impractical for the time being. Instead, let's blame law abiding gun owners for the crimes committed by gang bangers and deranged confidential informants posing as denturists.

At least they didn't leave it on the front porch like they did with a shotgun a few years ago.

Lol, UPS once left a crate of GP11 with my neighbor. No problem as I get along with this neighbor so it saved me a trip to pick up at the depot, but still, kind of irresponsible. I have had less agreeable neighbors in the past who would have been the last people I would entrust with the care of my property.

GeoTrekr
01-20-2021, 11:06 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Eventually, I was able to get this account set up. VERY picky over what CP considers my address, but I got it done.

Tigrr, I saw no mention of "cards". I was given a customer number, though.

Been a while since you posted, so you may have already received it, but if not, a card will be mailed to you once you e signed up for the SSB account. You have to provide the number on it to the post office clerk if you ever want to access the SSB shipping options at the counter. Honestly, it’s much easier to just create and print the waybill at home if you have a tape measure and a kitchen scale.

stevebc
01-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Been a while since you posted, so you may have already received it, but if not, a card will be mailed to you once you e signed up for the SSB account. You have to provide the number on it to the post office clerk if you ever want to access the SSB shipping options at the counter. Honestly, it’s much easier to just create and print the waybill at home if you have a tape measure and a kitchen scale.

Thanks for this- I just got my cards in the mail. I'll do that- (printing the waybill) if I ever manage to sell that Sako rifle in the EE.

JustinHartm
12-29-2022, 05:28 PM
Online systems can be a pain when they don't work as they should, so if you're struggling, it's always a good idea to ask for help.

blacksmithden
12-29-2022, 06:44 PM
Verification request sent

BorisxArnolde
02-09-2023, 02:41 AM
I can understand why you'd want to avoid a long phone call with a bureaucrat. But it sounds like the rules changed recently, and now you need an account to print labels for mailing firearms.

blacksmithden
02-09-2023, 08:10 AM
Verification request sent.

BorisxArnolde
02-10-2023, 09:30 AM
What do you mean?????

awndray
02-10-2023, 09:36 AM
01000001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110100 00111111

blacksmithden
02-10-2023, 09:45 AM
What do you mean?????

Check your in box. The notifications tab at the top of the page.

blacksmithden
02-13-2023, 01:35 AM
Failed to verify. Bye bye bot.