PDA

View Full Version : Skinner sights

6MT
12-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if Skinner sights are sold in Canada? Or do you need to order direct from Montana?

normmus
12-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Last time I purchased which was a bit over a year ago, had to order from Montana

kennymo
12-17-2020, 10:02 PM
I swear someone was bringing them in at one point, but damned if I can remember who it was...

2012Cvoguy
12-17-2020, 10:13 PM
XS, Your Welcome..........

6MT
01-27-2021, 10:04 AM
XS, Your Welcome..........

Nope. Skinner. You're welcome.

https://i.postimg.cc/tR3gSbnw/AEAD06-D4-E995-4863-B81-A-B91160-DC5-A48.jpg

Just mounted one on my 1895 last night. Looking forward to trying it out as soon as this cold snap abates. But the wedge that Skinner sent me to fill the cut out in the barrel where the buckhorn sight was mounted, was wrong. Way too small for the cut out. (You can see the cut out on the barrel just on the right side of this picture.) A little looking on Andy’s web-site shows that this is a common problem with some Marlins.

I am going to order another Express Sight for my 1894, and I’ll probably order the wedge that has a set screw on it. These types are for this very problem and the set screw holds it in place.

6MT
01-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Oh BTW, if anyone orders from Andy in Montana, be prepared for a wait. It seems that Canada Border Services doesn’t like what these are. When they get shipped across the border, they head to Vancouver and the customs lock-up for inspection. There they will sit for 3 to 4 weeks (COVID related, they claim).

Then after a wonderful waiting period, where they open up the package and “inspect” everything, they will release it back to Canada Post. From there, it gets shipped to where ever you are.

Oh....CBSA will also attach a fee for their trouble. I had to pay $17.98 before I could “claim” it back from them. The fee was described as a “service fee”.

A$$holes!

Weekend Gunslingers
01-27-2021, 11:00 AM
They are awesome sights. Love my Alaskans on the Marlin 336C. I ordered mine probably a year or so ago from Montana and back then it was in my mailbox in less than a week. Things change quickly I guess....

I just left the buckhorns on the rifle. They don't obstruct your view with the Skinners.

6MT
01-27-2021, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately on the 1895, the Buckhorn sight is very much in the way. So it needs to come off.

lone-wolf
01-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Cbsa 'service fee' aka bs tax

Where did I leave my tar and feathers...

Weekend Gunslingers
01-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately on the 1895, the Buckhorn sight is very much in the way. So it needs to come off.

When I grow up I am definitely getting an 1895 in 45-70 :) They look like awesome fun.

6MT
01-27-2021, 04:20 PM
I just placed another order with Andy. I got a punch, 2 wedges, and another Express Sight.

I should start a poll on how long this order will take to get. My guess is I'll see them around the third week of March.

I can walk there to get them faster.

Rory McCanuck
01-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Nope. Skinner. You're welcome.

https://i.postimg.cc/tR3gSbnw/AEAD06-D4-E995-4863-B81-A-B91160-DC5-A48.jpg

That looks so good on there.

6MT
01-28-2021, 03:50 PM
I agree. The gold aperture looks fantastic with the black.

6MT
01-30-2021, 05:41 PM
Wow! Much better today with the Skinner. After 5 shots, the big 45-70 was on at 100m. I did hold high to makes hits. So I went over to 50m and tried there with a dead center hold. Perfect! So it’s zeroed at 50m. Pretty much where I would want it. So I didn’t have to adjust the elevation. Windage seems bang on as well.

The Skinner is very intuitive. Easy and fast acquisition. Making holds is easy. I just can’t believe how bad the buckhorn sight was. After 100 rounds with the buckhorn, I didn’t make one hit. After 5 shots, I was on with the Skinner. And out of 50 shots, I only missed the first 5 (trying to figure out the sight picture), and then 2 after that.

Would I recommend one? Damn right I would. I’ve got a second coming for my .44mag Marlin.

https://i.postimg.cc/XNH5RtVL/8186-E751-5-CCA-4584-9205-89-C55-A1-F3-EF1.jpg

That’s the target I was shooting. An 8” gong at 100m.

The only problem today was the cold. Minus 14 in the enclosure and minus 12 outside.

I worked quickly.

Weekend Gunslingers
01-30-2021, 05:45 PM
I agree 100%

Any lever gun I buy in future will have them. Same as my 336C :)

2012Cvoguy
01-30-2021, 06:03 PM
Awesome that it all worked out so well and good on ya for getting out! It is a good problem to have the problem of multiple choices of quality gear. My red headed step child solution with XS, not as good looking for sure but works slick as all get up.

Congrats & happy hunting.....

6MT
01-30-2021, 06:05 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/bwvvHvX9/A03-BCA68-5-E51-464-A-AB4-E-7542382-FD5-D6.jpg

Weekend Gunslingers
01-30-2021, 06:06 PM
Gorgeous rifle now has some jewelry. Top notch!

6MT
01-30-2021, 06:25 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/wBGFT3zf/4-D42-B285-0560-4243-B99-F-027771-DF8988.jpg

I’ll stop now.

6MT
01-30-2021, 06:36 PM
I agree 100%

Any lever gun I buy in future will have them. Same as my 336C :)

Wow! That is purty!

6MT
02-08-2021, 11:03 AM
My second order from Skinner is being held at customs in Vancouver. Just like the first.

Here's something interesting. I live in Alberta. Skinner is in Montana. My order was sent by US Postal Service. It left Montana headed for San Francisco (?). From there, it departed for Vancouver. There it will probably sit for the next 3 weeks or so. Then it will be shipped to me here in Alberta.

What a waste of carbon (for those environmentalists).

As I've said before...I could have walked it here faster.

blacksmithden
02-08-2021, 11:55 AM
My second order from Skinner is being held at customs in Vancouver. Just like the first.

Here's something interesting. I live in Alberta. Skinner is in Montana. My order was sent by US Postal Service. It left Montana headed for San Francisco (?). From there, it departed for Vancouver. There it will probably sit for the next 3 weeks or so. Then it will be shipped to me here in Alberta.

I have zero doubt that CBSA is working with the USPS to railroad more stuff into larger customs inspection hubs. This country is SOOOOOO bankrupt right now, they'll do anything to stem the flow of imported goods....and if you DO import stuff, theyre going to grab a good size cut. They cant add tariffs due to international agreements so they'll hang any lable they want on it to avoid "the T word." Its only a conspiracy theory if it isnt true. ;)

6MT
02-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Oh yeah. CBSA adds their "service" fee too. They did it on the last order and they'll do it again, I'm sure of it. And for what? Service fee for what?!

Probably in their minds they believe that they are making Canada a safer place by stopping a peep sight from entering the country and causing havoc. And it's well worth my money to make sure that they do their jobs. :FP2

6MT
02-08-2021, 08:16 PM

I just talked to my sister’s ex-husband in Victoria about the “route” that my Skinner order took to Canada. The San Francisco stop from Montana is mind boggling, no doubt. But also interesting is why Vancouver? Well...apparently, it was completely political.

Huh? It seems that the rather large customs hub in Vancouver was built to buy votes. Screw the inefficiencies of it. It was total politics. Under the guise of creating jobs and keeping them in the precious vote rich Vancouver area.

Unbelievable.

And the final indignity....I’ll have to pay those blood suckers to get my order released to me. Even though there are no duties or tariffs that should be legally applied to it.

Rant over...my blood pressure is getting too high.

EDIT: While my ex-brother-in-law didn’t offer up any proof, my being pi$$ed off gave me no reason to press him for proof. And...I’m still mad.

6MT
02-20-2021, 07:57 PM
Tried out the new Skinner on my Marlin 1894 (.44mag). While the OE buckhorn sight was ok on this rifle, the Skinner is head and shoulders above it. Once I figured out that it was zeroed at 100m, it became hard to miss. Off a bag on the bench or off-hand shooting, it is dialed in! So easy. Very fast acquisition. Just shoulder, acquire, and shoot. Plink, plink, plink.

So I was getting a bit bored after 60 or so shots at 100m...so I moved over to the long range. Now today, it was very windy. It took a dozen shots to figure out my elevation hold, and to figure out the wind. And then I made 9 hits in the last 30 shots out to 200 metres! With a lever gun! In .44 magnum!

The windage screw worked itself loose after 80 shots. I just retightened it, and carried on.

Fun times today.

https://i.postimg.cc/Jhs6CnS3/92-F21-A7-F-927-B-4780-B0-C9-071-DCD3-D9160.jpg

LB303
02-21-2021, 12:34 AM
Rant over...my blood pressure is getting too high.

I feel your pain. It's a 3-4 hr drive to Williams in Michigan from here.
I have parts on order that shipped the next day, which will probably sit in Mississauga for 3-6 weeks

Lonewolf did you find your tar & feathers yet?

lone-wolf
02-21-2021, 09:52 AM
Feathers are out in the chicken barn, hard to keep the tar liquidy this winter

There was a rimfire set of skinners on the cgn ee, but I think my 9422m will eventually get a tang sight.
I've been saying that for near a decade though.

6MT
02-21-2021, 01:16 PM
Feathers are out in the chicken barn, hard to keep the tar liquidy this winter

There was a rimfire set of skinners on the cgn ee, but I think my 9422m will eventually get a tang sight.
I've been saying that for near a decade though.

I was actually looking at a tang sight for my Winchester 1873. But the forward mounting hole would need to be drilled and tapped into the tang. That wouldn’t be my cup of tea.

Also, I tried a fella’s 1873 with a tang sight. I found it got in the way of my grip on the stock. That sealed the deal for me...wasn’t gonna happen. They do look nice. But not for me. Besides the OE buckhorn on the Winchester isn’t that bad. Not like the ones on Marlins.

CLW .45
02-22-2021, 08:19 PM
Oh BTW, if anyone orders from Andy in Montana, be prepared for a wait. It seems that Canada Border Services doesn’t like what these are. When they get shipped across the border, they head to Vancouver and the customs lock-up for inspection. There they will sit for 3 to 4 weeks (COVID related, they claim).

Then after a wonderful waiting period, where they open up the package and “inspect” everything, they will release it back to Canada Post. From there, it gets shipped to where ever you are.

Oh....CBSA will also attach a fee for their trouble. I had to pay $17.98 before I could “claim” it back from them. The fee was described as a “service fee”.

A$$holes!

People charge fees like that to have their horses cover your mares.

lone-wolf
02-23-2021, 08:41 AM
I was actually looking at a tang sight for my Winchester 1873. But the forward mounting hole would need to be drilled and tapped into the tang. That wouldn’t be my cup of tea.

Also, I tried a fella’s 1873 with a tang sight. I found it got in the way of my grip on the stock. That sealed the deal for me...wasn’t gonna happen. They do look nice. But not for me. Besides the OE buckhorn on the Winchester isn’t that bad. Not like the ones on Marlins.

I'm fairly fine with having to drill and tap the winchester, as I never expect to sell it. From what I've read though, like you say, you pretty much have to keep your shooting thumb strong side to shoot it rather then wrap it around the grip like normal. But the people who have them seem to love them.

LB303
02-23-2021, 12:14 PM
Besides the OE buckhorn on the Winchester isn’t that bad.

I find that's true for my 94/22 also, now that I've found a front sight hood for it.