PDA

View Full Version : Going rate for brass

BrotherRockeye
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone ever buying or selling spent brass wish their was a reference that could be consulted as to what you should be asking or paying?
I never know what the going rate for different calibers is and can never find a good answer.
Wondering if there would be any interest in a chart that lists calibers and what a good ballpark figure, per piece for 1F brass would be.
I'd like to be able to click a sticky at the top of the reloading forum and see that the 1F 250-3000 brass I'm looking to buy is priced about right.
I'd also like to be able to check and see what the 25-20 brass I have sitting here is worth so I can sell it to fund the 250-3000 brass...

Thought on whether it's viable,or do prices fluctuate enough that it would be outdated before it was finished?
Any input would be great.

Obliged,
BR

Redhouse
04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
I know roughly what some PISTOL brass is worth, and how much demand there is for it:
9mm - no demand
.40 S&W - moderate demand, dunno price
10mm - good demand, dunno price
.45ACP - strong demand, .10c or better

Rifle, if it's not .223, .308, or .338LM I'd say it's hit and miss.

M.T. Chambers
04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
At any given time I have alot of brass sitting around once fired, as well as shotgun hulls, right now i know i have .308, 30/06, .270, .444 Marlin, 7mm/08, .222 rem, etc.....I've sold some at gunshows, but most folks want new stuff....so i dunno, what's it worth??? I don't really care if i sell it, most of it I'll use myself somewhere down the road, but if it helps someone else?

BrotherRockeye
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
I know that different cals of brass bring different prices. 308 and 303Sav for instance. Availability being key for those two.
I was just thinking that a list of cals and their respective new and 1F prices might be a good resource.
Any rule of thumb even...RR indicated 1/2 of new...is that sound reasonable?

cancer
04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
It seems that some people have piles of brass they pick up at the range and they like to gloat about how all their brass is free. Some of us are not quick so lucky.

Also, pistol brass can typically be mixed between headstamps when you reload. Rifle brass, not so much. This may be why you're more likely to find bulk pistol brass prices compared to bulk rifle brass prices. Put it this way, if it was easy, someone would've already done it.

Google is really your best bet. With the dollar being par, going rates in the US for bulk brass is usually reasonable to ask or expect in Canada these days also.

BrotherRockeye
04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
My range is right here in my yard so any brass I pick up is usually put there by me...which is also why I'm oblivious to pricing...
Google is no help at all...especially on dial-up.

I guess since it's not easy it's not worth doing...

jwirecom109
04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I know roughly what some PISTOL brass is worth, and how much demand there is for it:
9mm - no demand
.40 S&W - moderate demand, dunno price
10mm - good demand, dunno price
.45ACP - strong demand, .10c or better

Rifle, if it's not .223, .308, or .338LM I'd say it's hit and miss.

38SPL/357 Mag huge demand, varries
44SPL/44 Mag Good demand, no idea on price
45 Colt, Massive Demand, last price i sold was 20 cents per

arancio
04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Bill at AIM Projectiles (Hamilton, ON) gets 10-15 5gal. pails of mixed brass from a range nearby. Anyone is able to sort through the pales taking what they need for $3 a pound. One pound of .45 ACP is 95 casings. The preponderance of brass is once fired as near as I could tell.

M.T. Chambers
04-19-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm an old stickler and my brass all gets separated and sorted by brand, I always use all the same brand and the same as my record of loads shows. Sometimes I play with heavy bullets and near max. loads, and i don't want to worry about diff. case capacity and how it affects pressures.

BrotherRockeye
04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
some of us that aren't quite as old :D are still sticklers for the details to a degree.
I sort the brass I use by brand and weigh the cases removing any that have too much of a weight variance.
My record keeping sucks but mostly because I'm working up hunting loads and once I find what I'm after...it gets writ where I can find it.