PDA

View Full Version : Looming PMAG Shortage to Get Worse

blaxsun
02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Colorado (home of Magpul) is slated to table a slew of new anti-freedom bills. One in particular would prohibit the manufacture of any high-capacity magazines for commercial sale out-of-state (read: Canada), as well as a serial/date stamping scheme. In short, if it passes - PMAG production would cease on July 1, 2013. Happy Canada Day!

In addition to the national battle to protect our firearms rights, many states are currently engaged in their own fights. Here in CO, a state with a strong heritage of firearm and other personal freedoms, we are facing some extreme challenges to firearms rights. We have been engaged in dialogue with legislators here presenting our arguments to stop legislation from even being introduced, but our efforts did not deter those of extreme views.

After the NRAs visit last week, several anti-freedom bills were introduced by CO legislators, and a very aggressive timeline has been set forth in moving these bills forward.

The bills include:
HB 1229, Background checks for Gun Transfers--a measure to prohibit private sales between CO residents, and instead require a full FFL transfer, including a 4473.

HB 1228, Payment for Background Checks for Gun Transfers-- a measure that would require CO residents to pay for the back logged state-run CBI system (currently taking 3 times the federally mandated wait time for checks to occur) instead of using the free federal NICS checks.

And finally, HB 1224, Prohibiting Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines--a measure that bans the possession, sale, or transfer of magazines over 10 round capacity. The measures and stipulations in this bill would deprive CO residents of the value of their private property by prohibiting the sale or transfer of all magazines over 10 rounds. This bill would also prohibit manufacture of magazines greater than 10 rounds for commercial sale out of the state, and place restrictions on the manufacture of military and law enforcement magazines that would cripple production.

We'd like to ask all CO residents to please contact your state legislators and the members of the Judiciary Committee and urge them to kill these measures in committee, and to vote NO if they reach the floor.

We also ask you to show your support for the 2nd Amendment at the Capitol on Tuesday, Feb 12, for the magazine ban committee hearing and Wednesday,
Feb 13, for the hearing on the other measures.

Due to the highly restrictive language in HB 1224, if passed, and we remained here, this measure would require us to cease PMAG production on July 1, 2013.

In short, Magpul would be unable to remain in business as a CO company, and the over 200 jobs for direct employees and nearly 700 jobs at our subcontractors and suppliers would pick up and leave CO. Due to the structure of our operations, this would be entirely possible, hopefully without significant disruption to production.

The legislators drafting these measures do so in spite of the fact that nothing they are proposing will do anything to even marginally improve public safety in CO, and in fact, will leave law-abiding CO residents less able to defend themselves, strip away rights and property from residents who have done nothing wrong, and send nearly 1000 jobs and millions in tax revenue out of the state.

We like CO, we want to continue to operate in CO, but most of all, we want CO to remain FREE.

Please help us in this fight, and let your voices be heard!

TV-PressPass
02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
This is the important part:

In short, Magpul would be unable to remain in business as a CO company, and the over 200 jobs for direct employees and nearly 700 jobs at our subcontractors and suppliers would pick up and leave CO. Due to the structure of our operations, this would be entirely possible, hopefully without significant disruption to production.

Cue panic buying and wild pricing again! This is my favorite roller-coaster!!

blaxsun
02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Cue panic buying and wild pricing again! This is my favorite roller-coaster!!

Mine too. And to think people were b*tching about $40 PMAGs... With shipping, the retail price is now $50/each (limited to 2). $100 PMAGs could soon be a reality...

sDot
02-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Ok, hold on though. We still have them at the regular price out there right? At the end of the day to be honest I get nothing but headaches when I think about how badly liberals hate people's rights and freedom.

Strewth
02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
No! I refuse to get negative about this. These feel good bills will fail. If by some miracle they pass this dreck, Magpul will just move to Tennessee, or some such.

3MTA3
02-11-2013, 07:16 PM
July 1st is Canada Day- Happy Canada Day!- Sounds like they would move if bill passed- I wonder if they would move to Canada.

F7 666
02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Hopefully this does not pass, Theres been dealers selling gen 2 for $28 a peice.

blaxsun
02-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Hopefully this does not pass, Theres been dealers selling gen 2 for $28 a peice.

PMAG M3s were going for $40 plus tax and shipping today (effectively $50). Actually, I should say gone - since they sold out in just under an hour.

I wonder if they would move to Canada.

lol... No. ;)

Rory McCanuck
02-11-2013, 08:30 PM
July 1st is Canada Day- Happy Canada Day!- Sounds like they would move if bill passed- I wonder if they would move to Canada.
Yeah, to take advantage of our free, unrestricted magazine laws?
We can't make more than 10 rounders, so we'll go to where we can only make 5 rounders. That'll show 'em.

Suputin
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
I guess CO politicians don't like jobs and the taxes those working people pay. I really think it is going to take some major companies moving away from stupid laws to hammer it in to thick liberal heads that they are cutting their own throats.

leibermuster
02-12-2013, 12:11 AM
63 minutes to be exact till CTCS sold out of Magpul M3 PMAGS....

That being said there are many options out there that can supply Canada besides Magpul, I would not worry or be concerned if you don't have any, several dealers in Canada made orders before and in the early hours of the Newton massacre. More than enough Supplies of magazines are coming in and will continue to come in from other companies, both here in Canada and abroad. Most of this is panic buying and fear mongering to a certain degree regardless if the Bans in the US comes through or not.

Tinfoil to make a profit.....Nothing to see here..... just move along GOC members and sleep well.....

3MTA3
02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah, to take advantage of our free, unrestricted magazine laws?
We can't make more than 10 rounders, so we'll go to where we can only make 5 rounders. That'll show 'em.

Whoa! I wasn't serious- Does NEA make their mags here or are they imported?

TV-PressPass
02-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Generally Canadian companies can make whatever their little hearts desire. Its selling it to any of us here thats the big no-no.

But go ahead: Get your manufacturers permit and put together a full-auto, suppressed AK variant with a 100 round drum mag and a laser that cooks babies . . . then sell it to the Columbians. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-quietly-loosens-limits-on-assault-weapon-exports-to-colombia/article6861525/)

Ar180shooter
02-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Colorado (home of Magpul) is slated to table a slew of new anti-freedom bills. One in particular would prohibit the manufacture of any high-capacity magazines for commercial sale out-of-state (read: Canada), as well as a serial/date stamping scheme. In short, if it passes - PMAG production would cease on July 1, 2013. Happy Canada Day!

Even if Co does enact those restrictions, Magpul said they'd move out of state and it would have a minimal effect on supply. I don't see how this legislation is a major concern for a Pmag shortage.

jdman
02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
p-mags have already started to drop in price on CGN. down to 35$ yesterday.

blaxsun
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
p-mags have already started to drop in price on CGN. down to 35$ yesterday.

"O noes! OMG!" Give it time... ;)

TV-PressPass
02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
I noticed the young fella from Canadian Blackrifles posting some FDE pmags at $50 a pop . . . :D

leibermuster
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I noticed the young fella from Canadian Blackrifles posting some FDE pmags at $50 a pop . . . :D

This is true, if anything I see Pmags staying at these prices for over 6 months at least....

Rory McCanuck
02-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Whoa! I wasn't serious- Does NEA make their mags here or are they imported?

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. My sarcasm meter was on the fritz again ;)

blaxsun
02-14-2013, 01:18 AM
And it's officially worse: Colorado House Committee passes the magazine limit bill (HB1224). It was amended to 15-rounds from 10, but that still effectively kills the PMAG (at least in Colorado). Watch availability tank and prices skyrocket as Magpul is forced to consider a disruption in operations and potential relocation in less than 4 months.

3MTA3
02-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Speaking of stupid legislation- I understand he New York limit of 7 rounds would require that grandfathered mags of 10 rounds could only be loaded to 10 rounds on a licensed range- if at home or otherwise 7- I even feel safer from here.
I wonder if Magpul could make an adjustable mag limiter?

Strewth
02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
And it's officially worse: Colorado House Committee passes the magazine limit bill (HB1224). It was amended to 15-rounds from 10, but that still effectively kills the PMAG (at least in Colorado). Watch availability tank and prices skyrocket as Magpul is forced to consider a disruption in operations and potential relocation in less than 4 months.

Well, it's still has to pass a second vote Monday, and then the bill goes to the Colorado Senate....but there are Democrat majorities in both Houses,...We'll see....

blaxsun
02-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Well, it's still has to pass a second vote Monday, and then the bill goes to the Colorado Senate....but there are Democrat majorities in both Houses,...We'll see....

In this kind of untenable and unpredictable environment - the only question is not when Magpul is going to relocate, but where.

leibermuster
02-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Well it will be a year for sure now.....

blaxsun
02-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Magpul just announced that regardless of what exemptions or amendments they make, if the bill passes - they're gone.

https://www.facebook.com/magpul

Leadership team is at the Capitol again today, holding the line. Regardless of a manufacturing exemption or not, if HB1224 passes, we have to go. We can't disappoint our customers nor ignore our convictions. Anyone who votes in favor of this bill votes to drive over 600 jobs out of CO. We'll have some contact information for some further assistance coming up soon.

Grain
02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
On a happier note, i got my two mags from CTCS today.

blaxsun
02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
On a happier note, i got my two mags from S&J today.

Well, since we're in "happy mode" - I got my first shipment of the new 20-round Magpul PMAG M3s. I think these are possibly the perfect bench magazine. The slight curve to the body is a definite improvement over the previous straight version.

ctcs
02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, since we're in "happy mode" - I got my first shipment of the new 20-round Magpul PMAG M3s. I think these are possibly the perfect bench magazine. The slight curve to the body is a definite improvement over the previous straight version.

Blaxsun - mucho respect on being able to secure M3 20s. I know US FFLs that can't get their hands on 20s yet.

Grain
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Well, since we're in "happy mode" - I got my first shipment of the new 20-round Magpul PMAG M3s.

Well done Sir.

blaxsun
02-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Blaxsun - mucho respect on being able to secure M3 20s. I know US FFLs that can't get their hands on 20s yet.

Thanks! In all honesty, I attribute it as much to luck as anything else. I've really been impressed with the improvements both Lancer and in particular Magpul have made to their latest generation of magazines.

Well done Sir.

:D

TV-PressPass
02-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Pretty sure my M3s from CTCS are getting delivered today!!

Grain
02-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Pretty sure my M3s from CTCS are getting delivered today!!

I would think so, got mine yesterday and they went through Calgary to get to me.

Sabio
02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Shortage? For who?

I wonder where I could get some Pmag 20's........?

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt339/isellstuff4you/P1030863_zpse739c784.jpg

AKA- rivetc78 from CGN

blaxsun
02-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Shortage? For who?

Those generally looking to find them retail in quantities greater than 2.

TV-PressPass
02-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Lol welcome Sabio! That surely is a fancy box you've got there!

Suputin
02-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Leadership team is at the Capitol again today, holding the line. Regardless of a manufacturing exemption or not, if HB1224 passes, we have to go. We can't disappoint our customers nor ignore our convictions. Anyone who votes in favor of this bill votes to drive over 600 jobs out of CO. We'll have some contact information for some further assistance coming up soon.

Just wait till we hear the wailing and knashing of the anti's when a successful business up and leaves because of their stupid laws. They will all be SHOCKED that a company their laws attack could possibly want to up and leave and how terrible the company is for putting profit first etc etc blah blah. The anti's just don't understand why they can't have their cake and eat it too.

ctcs
02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
You guys should be listening to the Colorado House debate on the "high-capacity" magazine bill. It's good listening. Its amazing watching lawmakers talk about DEFENDING a firearms business.

http://www.coloradochannel.net/colorado-house-2013-legislative-day-38

blaxsun
02-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Man, people can talk forever about essentially nothing... Good Lord... did anyone else catch the amendment they proposed that gave an exemption to the spouses of any military personal? One Republican got up and said "Hey, my wife works in the Air Force - and even though she's carried nuclear missiles she's never been required to carry an AR15 with high capacity magazines off base. But I will take all your magazines off your hands!"

ROFLMFAO.

Sabio
02-15-2013, 09:11 PM
I guess you all heard that Questar had 260 pmags today......for about an hour. LOL

TV-PressPass
02-15-2013, 09:27 PM
But no M3s correct?

I'm very pleased with mine at the moment.

blaxsun
02-15-2013, 09:49 PM
But no M3s correct?
I'm very pleased with mine at the moment.

lol. You're kidding, right? ;) So how do you like the M3s. Worth every penny?

Sabio
02-15-2013, 11:06 PM
No Gen III's.

Just the Gen II's with dust cover. Gen II MOE not in yet

TV-PressPass
02-15-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm thinking I'll write up and maybe video a quick mag review this weekend.

The M3s are nice. But its not like I had to change my pants after opening the box. I was hoping for more.

Also trying to decide if I should mark TVPP into the dot matrix

leibermuster
02-18-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm thinking I'll write up and maybe video a quick mag review this weekend.

The M3s are nice. But its not like I had to change my pants after opening the box. I was hoping for more.

Also trying to decide if I should mark TVPP into the dot matrix

I got them as well they are no better with marginal improvements..

To be straight out with it, I like the Emags better....Slicker for my tastes...there still good though...

jdman
02-18-2013, 01:36 PM
guy on CGN with 10 for 175$

id say it is slowly getting back to normal.

leibermuster
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
There all sold.....hahahhahaa...

No i think things will take a long time to get back to normal.....

jdman
02-18-2013, 01:51 PM
There all sold.....hahahhahaa...

No i think things will take a long time to get back to normal.....

i dunno, i have seen lots lately for 35$ or less. sure they sell quick, because there are always people willing to buy cheap, and take advantage of each other by flogging them for more. Cause they are "not available"

leibermuster
02-18-2013, 01:58 PM
No I hear ya Jdman,.......

But I think with Firearmegeddon in the US with everything literally selling out and not just in popular main stream calibres anymore but a total clean out of all stores in the US now it will take some long amount of time to go by before things get better..... 6 Months to a year at least....

Epoxy7
02-20-2013, 03:29 AM
No I hear ya Jdman,.......

But I think with Firearmegeddon in the US with everything literally selling out and not just in popular main stream calibres anymore but a total clean out of all stores in the US now it will take some long amount of time to go by before things get better..... 6 Months to a year at least....

I'm actually anticipating 2 years for prices to become reasonable. I've heard of 2 year backlogs with some AR manufacturers and now with magpul relocating.

The Pmags finally came done to a price I was willing to pay. I was just waiting for the gen3. Then the US went full retard. Glad I at least grabbed some decent steel ones when they were $15 each to hold until the gen3 mags were out.

After Magpul's announcement I'll have to buy some mags once they are available again.

leibermuster
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm actually anticipating 2 years for prices to become reasonable. I've heard of 2 year backlogs with some AR manufacturers and now with magpul relocating.

The Pmags finally came done to a price I was willing to pay. I was just waiting for the gen3. Then the US went full retard. Glad I at least grabbed some decent steel ones when they were $15 each to hold until the gen3 mags were out.

After Magpul's announcement I'll have to buy some mags once they are available again.

Well in truth with "President Zero the Hero" at the helm who knows what more laws will come down the pipe and come the next massacre the lefttards will be recharged for another push and get even more...

To few people have joined the NRA/GOA so far...

ctcs
02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
FabSports just shut down their storefront and going online only. Sign of things to come?

Laker666
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd rather pay $40-50 for a Pmag than $300 for a .50 AA mag. Dude on cgn has um @ 3 bills a peice. Insanity.

Grain
02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
I'd rather pay $40-50 for a Pmag than $300 for a .50 AA mag. Dude on cgn has um @ 3 bills a peice. Insanity.

Agreed

jwirecom109
02-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Why pay 40-50 when zombie supply is bringing in windowed 5/30 rounders and 5/20 rounders for 35 each or if you get 10 its 30

blaxsun
02-25-2013, 09:57 PM

I'd rather pay $12 for PMAG M3s... Oh wait, I did. ;)

Satain
02-25-2013, 10:33 PM
I'd rather pay $12 for PMAG M3s... Oh wait, I did. ;)
http://gifs.gifbin.com/062010/1277117931_hit-bygun-recoil.gif

blaxsun
02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
^ Fortunately, even recoil on my 6.8SPC isn't sufficient (although I probably had that coming). ;)

jdman
02-26-2013, 05:05 AM
watched a guy on CGN today sell a box of 50BW mags for 250-300 each! 300$ for one, 250 if you bought 5. Someone bought them all. :eek:

jwirecom109
02-26-2013, 07:05 AM
yeah its nutz right now with people gouging

Laker666
02-26-2013, 11:29 AM
watched a guy on CGN today sell a box of 50BW mags for 250-300 each! 300$ for one, 250 if you bought 5. Someone bought them all. :eek:

I guess the buyer has more $$$ than brains...

TV-PressPass
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Damn capitalism! Why must people be free to choose?

If only we had some sort of government wing that could control the prices for all of us . . .

jwirecom109
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Damn capitalism! Why must people be free to choose?

If only we had some sort of government wing that could control the prices for all of us . . .

http://i43.tinypic.com/2a7wnyd.jpg

:P

Grain
02-26-2013, 12:00 PM
I guess the buyer has more $$$ than brains...

To each his own I guess... eventually supply will catch up to demand with those. IMO there is zero investment value in the 50BW mags. I personally would have spent the money on some readily available 10 round pistol mags (@ $25 per) and ammo.

Laker666
02-26-2013, 07:55 PM
To each his own I guess... eventually supply will catch up to demand with those. IMO there is zero investment value in the 50BW mags. I personally would have spent the money on some readily available 10 round pistol mags (@ $25 per) and ammo.

I agree with you 100%. The guy on cgn had already reduced his prices. Maybe he realized his prices were out to lunch. With 1600 rd cases of .223 for less than $500 all in I'd rather buy a Sh!t ton of ammo instead of mags that cost to much to keep full. Just my 2.

Blaxsun, how in the world did you get pmags for $12??? I'm assuming you're in the industry?

ctcs
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Magpul Press Release

We are proud to announce that within a matter of days we will be going live with a new program. Due to a bill currently moving through the Colorado legislature, there is the possibility that Colorado residents' ability to purchase standard capacity magazines will soon be infringed. Before that happens, and Magpul is forced to leave the state in order to keep to our principles, we will be doing our best to get standard capacity PMAGs into the hands of any Colorado resident that wants them.

Verified Colorado residents will be able to purchase up to ten (10) standard capacity AR/M4 magazines directly from Magpul, and will be given immediate flat-rate $5 shipping, bypassing our current order queue.

Our customers outside of Colorado, please know that our PMAG production will continue at an ever-increasing rate until we do relocate, shipments to our distributors in other states will continue, and that we do not expect relocation to significantly impact PMAG production. We are also aware that Colorado is not the only state with existing or pending magazine capacity restrictions; we are working on programs for other affected states as well.

Full details and instructions will be announced when we are able to go live; please watch here for the coming announcement.

Satain
02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Awesome on them. I don't mind being bumped in line to stand up and protest such a stupid and pointless law to punish the innocent well rewarding the guilty. But then again what do you expect from a state that installed a legal use pot law with out understand what they were doing.
Scary times we are in and I don't think being hi will help the problem.

blaxsun
02-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Then they pulled an "Armalite" today...

Strewth
02-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Then they pulled an "Armalite" today...

What did Magpul do? I thought they were being courted by several states?
The last I heard about Armalite was an abrupt e-mail stating a manufacturer's embargo was useless?

blaxsun
02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
The last I heard about Armalite was an abrupt e-mail stating a manufacturer's embargo was useless?

Magpul essentially said the same thing, that they'll continue to sell to military and LE in any states where they imposed AWB or magazine bans.

Strewth
02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Thats a shame. I was thinking they'd have enough backorders that they could easily afford to boycott. Costs money to move and all, but still.

TV-PressPass
03-01-2013, 11:28 AM
They are really pushing the airdrop thing. Some awesome pictures:

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/480392_566441603368193_927719971_n.jpg

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/11679_566238013388552_237549832_n.jpg

blaxsun
03-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Magpul has a fairly decent sense of humour. ;)

jwirecom109
03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Love the pictures

blaxsun
03-01-2013, 11:42 AM
This is my own Magpul "airdrop" operation. Not anywhere near the same scale, but nonetheless it still gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling. :D

http://www.nexxus.cc/images/pmags-rock.jpg

TV-PressPass
03-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Blaxsuns Magpul Airdrop:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/SSZ_class_blimp_dropping_bomb_WWI_IWM_Q_67695.jpg

blaxsun
03-01-2013, 11:47 AM
^ lol!