PDA

View Full Version : Calibre Issue #2: March 2013

Calibre
02-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Well folks, we're sorry for neglecting all you Gun Owners of Canada guys and gals... after the SHOT-apalooza, your's truly was laid up in bed for days with the flu to end all flus. But we're back at it now, and I personally am optimistic that issue number two will be even better than the first.

So far, we're expanding on the new products section with a page of small, hands-on reviews that'll fly under the banner of "The Range Bag;" the premise being that the products tested and reviewed are of an ilk that they might find their way into your range bag. This next issue, we'll be reviewing the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X, as well as another top-secret thingamabob that we'll unveil at a later date.

While we're on the subject of reviews, the next product up for review in the March issue will be none other than the M84 Scorpion; a gun that's actually surprised the living crap out of me. We've already delved into a bit of its history not unlike what we penned with the Suomi review, and plan to shoot the ever loving crap out of the thing... mostly because it feels like it's going to be a hoot and a half to shoot, but hey, we'll make sure to put it through it's paces too!

After last issue's most popular article seemed to be the newbie-friendly piece that defined pistol actions, we'll again be working on something for the new shooters out there, this time tackling the subject of sporting shotguns; what makes a skeet gun different from a trap or sporting clays gun, while also helping define and explain that nebulous term "shotgun fit."

But the big beast of an article in this next issue's going to be a huge rifle extravaganza: The 5 Rifles Canadians Should Own. We won't give 'em away (although those that have liked us on Facebook can probably tell what they are), but suffice to say I am personally pretty confident that although long, it'll be pretty damned interesting article for your perusal. Want to know more? I'll tell you that one of the guns was designed by a surprising Canadian Olympian, while another's design benefited from the attention of the five most prolific American gun makers in history. And that's just two of the five!

Add in the factory feature we're doing on MDT, a review of Grand Power's new pistol line coming to Canada, as well as the familiar optic and ammunition features and a few others, and I think this issue's going to be pretty popular.

Next week we'll update this thread again with some business stuff pertaining to delivery and distribution, as we should have some news on those fronts. In the meantime, please feel free to leave as much feedback, complaints, whines, compliments, or random-ass comments below. And as always, if you like what we're giving you and want it to stay not only in existence but also free, tell your local shop to give us a call and buy an ad; they start at just $175, and they're a great way to get some additional exposure!

Cheers, and thanks for all your support guys.

blaxsun
02-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Where is Calibre available? Any newsstands, or electronically as a PDF? I saw the first issue in Saskatchewan just on an off-chance when someone left a copy behind at one of the retailers I frequent.

Calibre
02-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Ah ha! It probably wasn't a copy someone left behind; we actually distribute the vast majority of our copies via firearms retailers. My logic was that active gun owners frequent gun shops, so if I put the magazine into those same gun shops, it'd get picked up by those gun owners that are actually spending money on the hobby, which is good for advertisers. We've got a map of locations that received copies and were distributing them here (http://goo.gl/maps/PgOmL), but I can't guarantee they'll all have copies left! We're sending out another wave next week though.

blaxsun
02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Add Saskatoon Gun Works to the list. That's where I found the copy.

road kill
02-13-2013, 06:06 AM
From your map i see the Saskatoon gunsmith shoppe is where they are so i won`t get a copy. I rarely go their as i belive in the old adage screw me once shame on you screw me twice why the hell did i go back for more screwing. North Pro is a great store to go to just real small.

Fusilier
02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Well there's at least one shop here in Halifax Metro that gets them. It'll be a miracle that I'm actually there when the magazines are as I only make it in about once a quarter. A downloadable PDF copy would be ideal.

addictedshooter
02-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Heard about your magazine but haven't actually seen it yet. I live in SW Ontario near Windsor. Maybe you could get some distribution down here. at least 5 gun clubs in the area. Lots of shooters.
thanx

blaxsun
02-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Second the suggestion for a PDF version.

Thorvald
02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Third for a PDF... or add mail order subscription :-)

romurra
02-24-2013, 10:31 AM
do the PDF thing please.

jwirecom109
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I think keeping it in Written format is the way to go.
PDF file defeats the purpose of a magazine.
Honestly everyone was so excited for a magazine to come out in Canada, I would hate for it to become another email I just skip over it.

bradofcanada
02-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Yup I agree,Calibre send me 20 copies and they were gone in a flash.

blaxsun
02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
We're not suggesting PDF as a replacement - just in addition to. Look at it this way: it's additional free circulation for advertisers.

Canuck
02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
do the PDF thing please.

This. ^^^^^

Calibre
02-28-2013, 02:42 AM
Hello again folks, my apologies for not stopping by here more frequently, but between SHOT Show business, ad sales, the flu, and actually putting together the next issue... well, suffice to say it's been a wee bit hectic around here. However, I've seen a few posts regarding the same issue, and wanted to address it.

We're not suggesting PDF as a replacement - just in addition to. Look at it this way: it's additional free circulation for advertisers.

Being a free publication, we offer more advertisers more than just access to our readership; we offer them our actual readers. To do that, we need to ensure two things: 1) that we're driving traffic to their stores, and 2) that we're putting their ads in front of actual gun consumers. We do this by offering the magazine at retail locations. So although it's entirely possible to say that electronic distribution of the magazine would increase it's readership, it would not be beneficial to us if that increase came at the expense of any in-store foot traffic. After all, what would leave a greater impact upon a retailer: a magazine staffer calling up and claiming that he published 10,000 magazines last month and had X amount of hits to a website, or a single customer coming in to your shop and asking for a magazine by name? From my own experience thus far, I gotta say, the latter seems to leave a much bigger impact!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Calibre brought to every corner of the country by any and all means possible... but sadly, being staffed by a skeleton crew (me) and the few good friends that are helping me out, I need to keep a close watch on where I direct both my time, money, and efforts until such time as I can invest in additional assets and distribution methods. So, the plan is to build Calibre's print media readership this year, and invest in a consumer site that will host previously published articles available in searchable format, which will debut in January of 2014. Afterwards, as each new issue comes out, the previous issue's content will become available for viewing online; that way we give readers an incentive to make the pilgrimage to their local shop (and hopefully they'll buy some stuff while they're there!) while still drawing some online traffic. In the mean time, we will be launching a pretty basic corporate portal this summer, and that site will provide readers with information on how to receive subscription copies to their door... this is Canada after all; we don't leave anyone in the lurch!

Hopefully that answers some questions you guys have expressed about online distribution, and explains why we haven't released copies online as yet. We're still but a fledgling of a company, and to be honest, I personally never dared hope it would be so well received. Hell, the only reason we didn't offer subscriptions right off the bat is because I didn't want to take anyone's money for a year's worth of magazines until I knew I could deliver exactly that without going broke! Which brings me to my next point: this next issue is currently sitting just over $100 shy of breaking even on the print run, and I want to thank each and every one of you guys that have gone and picked up a copy for making that happen. By the time we hit the printer I'm optimistic that we'll have paid for the paper, print job, and hopefully distribution, which will put us right on track for where I want the magazine to be... and I know it wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you guys clamouring for copies, talking it up, and telling your local retailers about it. So, to each and every one of you, I personally want to say a huge thank you.

I just hope you'll all keep it up when the next issue comes out looking pretty damned close to this...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8515590354_aee574dfef_b.jpg

blaxsun
02-28-2013, 03:15 AM
So although it's entirely possible to say that electronic distribution of the magazine would increase it's readership, it would not be beneficial to us if that increase came at the expense of any in-store foot traffic.

Calibre isn't available on newsstands, I can't buy a subscription - and my favorite haunt doesn't carry it. It would also feel more than a little strange to make the 40-minute round trip to a competitor just to walk into their shop and spend 30 seconds there for the sole purpose of picking up a copy of Calibre.

The current distribution for Calibre isn't exactly geared towards those of us that conduct most of our research, correspondence and actual purchases online. In addition, since in-store traffic will be non-existent for any advertisers outside my city - they are effectively missing out on "free" out-of-province readership and potential online sales.

I wish you the best, and hope to possibly see your magazine in the future. Maybe...[/quote]

Honestly everyone was so excited for a magazine to come out in Canada, I would hate for it to become another email I just skip over it.

We had a shooting-specific periodical in Canada in the 90's. It was called Canadian Shooting Magazine, published bimonthly with a circulation that peaked at over 60,000 copies. The first issue premiered at over 144 pages in full color glory. :D

jwirecom109
02-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Calibre isn't available on newsstands, I can't buy a subscription - and my favorite haunt doesn't carry it. It would also feel more than a little strange to make the 40-minute round trip to a competitor just to walk into their shop and spend 30 seconds there for the sole purpose of picking up a copy of Calibre.

Maybe thats a good reason to tell you local haunt that they should get some copies, so people dont go for the 30 seconds and spend an hour when something catches their eye

We had a shooting-specific periodical in Canada in the 90's. It was called Canadian Shooting Magazine, published bimonthly with a circulation that peaked at over 60,000 copies. The first issue premiered at over 144 pages in full color glory. :D
Had being the right word, lets not lose this one because we are so dependent on technology

blaxsun
02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Maybe thats a good reason to tell you local haunt that they should get some copies, so people dont go for the 30 seconds and spend an hour when something catches their eye.

Sure, but in the end it's ultimately not up to me - so it still doesn't resolve the dilemma of how to get a copy... Are the magazines free for dealers and businesses, and are there any other requirements? (advertising, etc.)

If not, consider this my official request for 10 copies of the next issue. :D

Had being the right word, lets not lose this one because we are so dependent on technology

I could write a lengthy essay on why, and it didn't have anything to do with technology. It has more to do with the fact that the NFA+CSSA still have a combined roster of less than 30,000 members when there are well over 2 million firearms owners in this country...

awndray
02-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Ah ha! It probably wasn't a copy someone left behind; we actually distribute the vast majority of our copies via firearms retailers. My logic was that active gun owners frequent gun shops, so if I put the magazine into those same gun shops, it'd get picked up by those gun owners that are actually spending money on the hobby, which is good for advertisers. We've got a map of locations that received copies and were distributing them here (http://goo.gl/maps/PgOmL), but I can't guarantee they'll all have copies left! We're sending out another wave next week though.
Uh...apparently you forgot about Ottawa.

Calibre
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Sure, but in the end it's ultimately not up to me - so it still doesn't resolve the dilemma of how to get a copy... Are the magazines free for dealers and businesses, and are there any other requirements? (advertising, etc.)

If not, consider this my official request for 10 copies of the next issue. :D

The only requirement is that the retailer's on board with distributing it! Obviously we'd prefer they buy an ad, but we'll send any retailer a box of either 20 or 40 copies at their request.

I could write a lengthy essay on why, and it didn't have anything to do with technology. It has more to do with the fact that the NFA+CSSA still have a combined roster of less than 30,000 members when there are well over 2 million firearms owners in this country...

Now that's an essay I'd be interested in reading...

As for Ottawa, we had sent a bunch of copies to SAIL, but they've probably since run out. Is there another store you'd like us to send them to in that area?

awndray
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Would you like a hard copy or a PDF? :P

As for Ottawa, we had sent a bunch of copies to SAIL, but they've probably since run out. Is there another store you'd like us to send them to in that area?
SAIL isn't listed on your map. How was I to know where to get a copy?

I suppose you could also try Le Baron, Sports Action, and Pro Nature; but I don't really shop there unless I need a quick fix for ammo. I'm an online shopper.

blaxsun
02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
The only requirement is that the retailer's on board with distributing it! Obviously we'd prefer they buy an ad, but we'll send any retailer a box of either 20 or 40 copies at their request.

Can you send me 20 copies? I'll ensure they're distributed. :D

Drop me a PM sometime... :D

I'm an online shopper.

Same here.

Camo tung
03-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Or a PDF copy under Caliber's name in the Marketplace?
All of us who view it there are going to be the target audience for the advertisers.

awndray
03-01-2013, 08:23 AM
I would even consider paying a nominal fee for an e-copy. Hell, you can even encrypt it or password protect it if you want.

FlareKing
03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Available at a gun shop not near you!

jwirecom109
03-01-2013, 10:45 PM
You guys are complaing but what are you doing about it? Call your local gun shop and ask them to bring it in.
I talked to a couple locally to contact calibre and get copies.
I suggest you do the same a help promote the sport

YukonLeftie
03-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Maybe Im odd and old school... but I personally would rather pay for a hard subscription than get emailed a copy. My net availability is limited; and I like having hard paper to read. I still havent seen the first mag; Ill have to chat with Sportslodge in Whitehorse here see if they've any left.

Here is a random thought -- have you thought about making an offer to gun clubs to buy package deals from you? IE, spread the word to the clubs, the clubs get in however many copies they feel is proper etc. I see lots of talk of gun shops - but not the rifle clubs themselves.

awndray
03-02-2013, 07:21 AM
You guys are complaing but what are you doing about it? Call your local gun shop and ask them to bring it in.
I talked to a couple locally to contact calibre and get copies.
I suggest you do the same a help promote the sport
If I had a worthy gun shop to go to, I would.

jwirecom109
03-02-2013, 07:24 AM
If I had a worthy gun shop to go to, I would.

Fair enough

blaxsun
03-02-2013, 10:18 AM
I see lots of talk of gun shops - but not the rifle clubs themselves.

Rifle clubs are an excellent idea.

awndray
03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm at SAIL now. I just spoke with 3 people in the gun section. Neither of them have any idea what Calibre is. I asked at the customer service desk too. Nothing.

blaxsun
03-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Can I get 20 to distribute in Saskatoon? Thanks.

Billythreefeathers
03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
So why not a subscription??

Doug_M
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
I went to Better Buy Sports in Dartmouth (they were listed on the map) and the guy I talked to said he'd never heard of Calibre and that they don't carry magazines. When I told him Calibre's map lists them by name he just gave me a blank stare.

Calibre
03-09-2013, 02:42 AM
I went to Better Buy Sports in Dartmouth (they were listed on the map) and the guy I talked to said he'd never heard of Calibre and that they don't carry magazines. When I told him Calibre's map lists them by name he just gave me a blank stare.

I cannot answer for every individual staff member's knowledge of the magazine in every individual store that carries it; I do however have a Fedex invoice that lists shipments to both SAIL and Better Buy's Dartmouth location as having been delivered on January 15th and 17th, respectively.

So why not a subscription??

Initially it was because I did not know if I'd be able to afford to publish a year's worth of magazines, and did not want to take people's money for something I wasn't sure I could deliver. However, we will be posting up details on both subscriptions and retail location deliveries shortly.

Doug_M
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I cannot answer for every individual staff member's knowledge of the magazine in every individual store that carries it; I do however have a Fedex invoice that lists shipments to both SAIL and Better Buy's Dartmouth location as having been delivered on January 15th and 17th, respectively.

Initially it was because I did not know if I'd be able to afford to publish a year's worth of magazines, and did not want to take people's money for something I wasn't sure I could deliver. However, we will be posting up details on both subscriptions and retail location deliveries shortly.

I thought that might be the case (individual staff not knowing). Good news about the subscriptions! Can't wait to give you my money! :)

Billythreefeathers
03-09-2013, 09:08 AM

A Canadian Gun magazine that would be great in my mail box once a month,, plus when I'm done reading I could drop off at my Dentest office ;)

Waynetheman
03-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Hey calibre,

Got a copy today at reliable gun in Vancouver.

Great mag, reading the rest of it tonight.

FlareKing
03-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Got my free copy of issue 1 yesterday with my order from CanadaAmmo!!!

H.K.Glock 007
03-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Third for a PDF... or add mail order subscription :-)

YUP

joe-nwt
03-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Good to hear. The closest gun store is a 1500km drive for me.

Pyro
03-18-2013, 04:17 AM
When is the next issue out?

Calibre
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
We have just gotten it back from the printer on Thursday and are sending copies out across the country this week. We'll also be posting up subscription and distribution details for you guys later tonight!

woodenkayaker
04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Just finished reading #2 (my first copy)...fantastic! Propperly canadian and better photography then I see in most anything else! will be asking for a subscription soonest!

road kill
04-11-2013, 05:59 AM
Just got my copies yesterday and i'm happy with what i looked at. Didn't read them fully yet, today after chores they will get a work out. Cover to cover.