PDA

View Full Version : Problem - Henry .45 Colt ammo trouble.

YukonLeftie
03-02-2013, 09:29 PM
So, I took my dad's birthday gift out to the range today (a Henry Big Boy .45 Colt) , and I had two boxes of ammo - one, a box of Hornady Cowboy Action Loads, 255 grain. The other, Hornady again, the 225 gran FTX; that plastic tipped rounds.

Well, the cowboy loads, while not having a huge amount of thump (the box states a 687FPS at 50 yards), they did cycle perfectly. The FTX rounds however, despite a much more impressive FPS of 899 at 50 yards WOULD NOT CYCLE PROPERLY. I cannot state how irritated this made me. each round, every single damned one bound and would not go in without much putzing around. Fast, slow, hard, gentle, i tried every way to get em to cycle right; no dice.

Add to that, the rounds seem damned near impossible to find at present (if anyone knows of someone selling, lemme know...). Obviously, these casings Im going to keep for reloading purposes; but has anyone run into this?

Ive also heard there are issues with putting 'high pressure loads' into the Henry. Does anyone have more info to shed on this as well?

Freyr_255
03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
So, I took my dad's birthday gift out to the range today (a Henry Big Boy .45 Colt) , and I had two boxes of ammo - one, a box of Hornady Cowboy Action Loads, 255 grain. The other, Hornady again, the 225 gran FTX; that plastic tipped rounds.

Well, the cowboy loads, while not having a huge amount of thump (the box states a 687FPS at 50 yards), they did cycle perfectly. The FTX rounds however, despite a much more impressive FPS of 899 at 50 yards WOULD NOT CYCLE PROPERLY. I cannot state how irritated this made me. each round, every single damned one bound and would not go in without much putzing around. Fast, slow, hard, gentle, i tried every way to get em to cycle right; no dice.

Add to that, the rounds seem damned near impossible to find at present (if anyone knows of someone selling, lemme know...). Obviously, these casings Im going to keep for reloading purposes; but has anyone run into this?

Ive also heard there are issues with putting 'high pressure loads' into the Henry. Does anyone have more info to shed on this as well?

The issue with high pressure loadings in the Henry come from the brass receiver. When compared to a Winchester 1892 in steel, they can't take nearly the pressures that you can push the steel to. These will all be well above book loadings, and generally match or exceed 44 mag energy.

One thing I did note when I bought my 454 casull guns is that there is almost nothing in the way of supply for 45 colt in Whitehorse. Personally I have two or thee lifetimes worth of brass kicking around and casting equipment solely for those guns as factory ammunition is expensive and crap.

Following that the issue with FTX's feeding could have to do with overall length. I know my Rossi 1892 in 454 had issues with feeding any 454 and I determined it to be that the groove in the feed rails that guide the cartridge off the lifter arm was too small(short?). With the 45 colt rounds it would feed perfectly and the 454 were too long and would bind between the guide and the top of the chamber as it enters at a steep angle. Given that the cowboy loads fed well I'd say it has to do with the cartridge length binding on the top of the chamber.

Check it out and see if that has anything to do with it as I'm not sure if the Henry guns are a copy of the 1892 or their own design outright.

*edit*

Just looked at the henry's online and they are nothing like an 1892. Still it's probably the same issue..just more of a pain the ass to work on.